Sign in to follow this  
Nbl 49a

The recreation of the One Legged Wonder

kastanpic.jpg

P1000670.jpg

This is a near exact build of my Kastan when I raced for the National Team from 91-92. In 92 I cracked my frame and sold my frame, seatpost, bars and pads at the next National and my whole uniform at the next National. While i seriously regret doing that of course it was time for me to move on. The only Kastan parts I kept were my Uni blade, front hub and my set of aqua Kastan pads (I only have the handlebar pad left).

Fast forward 15 years I had located a 91 Kastan Pro-Stretch in Yellow on ebay. I purchased the frame and with it came a set of mint S&M Pitchforks which would become my S&M Holmes 20 yr Anniv build. So again this project was put on hold. I then was given the Campy C Record headset by my parents along with a vintage MTB frame which got the spark going again. I tracked down the Sherrif Star hub with correct threading and all original parts in London. Fortunately I still owned many of the parts that I had on the bike which made the rest a little easier. However with the rarity of many of these parts it was still a very difficult project. Fortunately I made a lot of new freinds and reconnected with some old ones as well.

This build was very special to me for many reasons. The biggest was recreating one my actual builds. It was amazing to see my parents face when they saw the bike. My Mom says it looks just like when I built it for the first time BITD.

A special thanks to Ryan of Kore Bikes, Ross, Jake, Steve, Nick, Brent, Jason, Lynn for his support BITD, the undrestanding of my incredible lady Aileen and the support of my parents BITD with out them none of this would be possible.

Frame: 1991 Kastan Pro Stretch with ovalized top and bottom tubes (exact replacement of my cracked frame) serial 100024 (powder coated with replacement stickers)

Fork: 1991 Kastan Uni Blade 2nd Gen strut with internal brace. (Original to the bike with og chrome and sticker)

Headset: Campagnolo C record semi sealed with Nos SST Dirt Skirt

Stem: Revcore Pro Xl (Nos/Show mounted)

Bars: Kastan Four piece Power Bend Bars Non Mexico stamped (Og Chrome and sticker) (One of three sets of Power bends to surface)

Grips: Nos Ati Pistols Black (replacement)

Brake Lever: Nos Dia Compe X1 Short Stop neon yellow & Nos Tioga Lever sleeve black (replacement)

Brakes: Odyssey Pitbull (original to the bike)

Brake hanger: Custom modified cyclecross brake hanger (replacement)

Brake Pads: Nos Scott Matthauser Super Brake pads (replacement)

Cable: Nos Tioga MTB Duro Cable in 2.0 mm sizing Yellow

Seat Post: Kastan Seat Post (replacement-original to the new frame)

Seat Selle Italia Turbo (original to the bike with 1991 date stamp)

Cranks: Redline 401 Flights (original chrome with replacement stickers) (original to the bike)

Bolts: Nos Bitchin Bolts (replacements)

Spindle: Redline Dimple (original to the bike)

Bottom Bracket: Redline Techmatic (original to the bike)

Sprocket: S&S Tigertooh 2nd Gen with factory triple chrome plating (original to the bike)

Pedals: SR Mtp-100 sealed Speedtraps with Killer Kages (original to the bike)

Chain: Nos Acme Roller bearing chain (in my collection since new amd was suppose to go on this bike bitd)

Chain Tensioners: Nos Whale Tales

Front Hub: Kastan hub (Original to the bike)

Rear Hub: Campagnolo Sherriff Star High Flange Track hub.

Freewheel: Nos Chrome Suntour 3/32” 16t (replacement)

Spokes Dt 14g stainless steel with Dt Alloy nipple black (replacements)

Rims: Nos Araya 7x’s 20 x 1.75” chrome

Tires: (Nos/show mounted) Tioga/Mitsuboshi Comp 3 blue grey labels 20x1.75 (replacements)

Valve caps: Garfeild (Original to the bike)

Pads: Body Belt reversible neoprene Black/Neon Yellow

Plate: Ugp 1992 New York State Series (Original to the bike + my 1991 plate as well)

Wheels built by Kore Bikes

Powder work: Arizona Powder Coat

Chrome plating: Ker West Chome plating

Thank you

Stephen "NBL 49a" Arndt

P10006521.jpg

P10006612.jpg

P10006621.jpg

P10006961.jpg

Awesome stuff Stephen. Great meeting you and hanging out at Cabo as well. Congrats.

Nice job, Stephen! Congrats on your win as well!

~G

nice to see this memory brought back to life :bravo:

love the campy & the original parts used ...

+ your parents reaction is really cool :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Leigh Ann snapped some better shots of it for you Stephen (your pictures do not do it justice). I have tried to come up with words on how nice, proper, and correct this thing is. Let the pics do the talking. The only thing cooler than the one legged wonder was the 4 legged wonder Bullydonna. Make sure to click and expand the pictures to take it all in.

CIMG9603.JPG

CIMG9604.JPG

CIMG9602.JPG

CIMG9600.JPG

CIMG9599.JPG

Thanks pal! I will be doing a proper photo shoot tomorrow. I just haven't had time yet and I wanted to get the post up.

Stephen

My man... great bike, great story. This is how it's done.

:cheers:

that dog is so cool.... i had to stop and give it some lovin' a couple times. wub.gif

killer bike...congrats on the win.

Guys,

Thank you for all the kind words. Here are some more teaser pics until I get to do my photo shoot I have planned.

]P10007281.jpg

My Nbl 1992 Points State Points Champion Gear bag.

P10004781.jpgP10004791.jpgP10004801.jpg

Descisions descisions build progress pics from the past.

Stephen

That bike is sooo sweet--that's art right there :power.of.suggestion: I wasn't familiar with Killer Kages other than the name. Absolutely well deserved win right there.

That Technique ain't too shabby either!

It was fun ridin' w/you Stephen. Great to meet your better half and pup as well. And thanks for watching my bike all day :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Mike

After finally having a little time yesterday I was able to take some proper pictures. I shot the pics at the Chandler Bmx located in Chandler Az. Chandler Bmx is where Lynn Kastan first introduced the whole Kastan line bitd. Also Tip distributing who distributed the Kastan line is located in Casa Grande Az.

P10007301.jpg

P10007421.jpg

P10007352.jpg

P10007361.jpg

P10007371.jpg

P10007392.jpg

P10007511.jpg

P10007482.jpg

P10007491.jpg

Stephen

The bike was absolutely stunning. You should be very proud of this one Stephen.

I wanted to talk a little more about the braking system since there is some pretty unique stuff here.

P10007382.jpg

Dia Compe X1 short stops. These are the MTB cross over levers that Todd Corbitt also ran while he was on Auburn. When I saw them BITD I was sold istantly. They were not easy to find when I was younger but well worth the extra effort to find them. They are a sping loaded lever with a floating pivotal cable pull. Another interesting point is the plastic lever blades have a metal center to give extra strength.

Tioga Duro Cable. Extremely rare 2.0 size in yellow. Duro cable were another Mtb cross over item. They were super thick cross woven cables not just spiral woven like normal cables. They are incredible strong and very thick. The outer casing is similiar to a Terry Cable but bends easier. The inside cable is so big it barely clears brake hardware.

P10007531.jpg

My own design to create a Pozi Stop bitd. Kastans like many other bikes ran into a problem with the Pitbull brake hangers. An easy fix isto slightly tweak the stock hanger. Having my Dad's shop in our basement I of course had to make something cooler than that. This was my first custom part.

Thanks

Stephen

Dope as hell. I love the brake system. How did you find an orphan Sheriff star rear hub?

I went to the store they had the hub right next to the hen's teeth and the live baby unicorns.

Stephen