Sign in to follow this  
bravoleader

GHP OLD SCHOOL FRAMES

GHP Releases Old Skool Replica Frames & Forks!

This just in from GHP: Greg Hill will be producing a small run of original 1983 GHP frames and forks.

These frames and forks are exactly like they were during the very first run of GHP 27 years ago.

GHP-retro-1.jpg

GHP-retro-1.jpg

stoled this info from bmxmania ....

GHP-retro-2.jpg

Edited by bravoleader

Yep -- this one's been discussed before.

http://bmxsociety.com/topic/47210-ghp-retros-are-here/page__p__410383__hl__GHP__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=410383

Frame is marked with new serial numbers (all start with a C for the manufacturer). Forks, I'm not sure about markings. It's a limited run, but it now sounds like he's going to do cruisers and maybe Star Bars (by popular demand).

I've said in the past, I'm a huge Hill fan and supporter, but an exact replica I just can't stomach.

I'm not going to get on my soap box. It's all been said before. Idunno.gif

Sorry was not aware of the older thread ..... off topic but I find i miss allot of threads around here ever sense the change .....

Yep -- this one's been discussed before.

http://bmxsociety.com/topic/47210-ghp-retros-are-here/page__p__410383__hl__GHP__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=410383

Frame is marked with new serial numbers (all start with a C for the manufacturer). Forks, I'm not sure about markings. It's a limited run, but it now sounds like he's going to do cruisers and maybe Star Bars (by popular demand).

I've said in the past, I'm a huge Hill fan and supporter, but an exact replica I just can't stomach.

I'm not going to get on my soap box. It's all been said before. Idunno.gif

I used to be a Greg Hill fan...now just an '80's GHP fan.

Will always be an oldschool GHP fan, but no longer a Greg Hill fan at all.

the "C" serial # may be OK today but in 10 years, the new collector isn't going to know the difference. These frame sets will definitely be sold as originals...and Greg knows that.

23_31_1.gif

Laid my hands on one Monday, Their shouldn't be any confusion at all. serial numbers are different, forks are different and dropouts are slightly different. Anyone who does a little research should be able to tell the difference.

Dropouts are thicker on the forks and the leg diameter is larger, I believe. I'm taking my pipe tape home tonight to verify.

I'm sure some shady SOB will try to pass one off at some point.

Very nice Replica frame sets. I want one, but it's just not in the budget.

In my opinion it was totally unnecessary to produce these frames and no matter what he says, it was all about the benjamins. I have followed the thread over at the museum and he refuses to admit it but to me it is obvious that he was interested in cash not nostalgia. If he had just put brake posts and non threaded headset it would have been fine but noooooo...

Well I don't mean to start any in house fighting but my thoughts are this ....... I don't like to see ANY replications and that goes for anything OLD ....... now , the other part is this . -> These new repop stuff seems to cost as much as buying the old OG stuff so i don't understand way anyone would want repop over the original UNLESS there is no other way ( other than stealing ect...) to own that particular item . .... I dont know one part loves all things bikes then the other wants to keep Old School OLD SCHOOL " my generation " for me :lol: .....

Laid my hands on one Monday, Their shouldn't be any confusion at all. serial numbers are different, forks are different and dropouts are slightly different. Anyone who does a little research should be able to tell the difference.

Dropouts are thicker on the forks and the leg diameter is larger, I believe. I'm taking my pipe tape home tonight to verify.

Why would you use a pipe tape to measure tubing??? Pipe and tubing are two different materials. Measured two different ways...

Why would you use a pipe tape to measure tubing??? Pipe and tubing are

two different materials. Measured two different ways...

Circumference : Pi will give you the OD of either. I'm not sure If I can get a good enough cross section near the dropout, to measure the diameter.

Pipe and tube are not measured different ways.

They are sized differently. As a general rule tube is OD sized and pipe is ID sized. pipe's a little tricky because the differences in schedule sizes.

Well I don't mean to start any in house fighting but my thoughts are this ....... I don't like to see ANY replications and that goes for anything OLD ....... now , the other part is this . -> These new repop stuff seems to cost as much as buying the old OG stuff so i don't understand way anyone would want repop over the original UNLESS there is no other way ( other than stealing ect...) to own that particular item . .... I dont know one part loves all things bikes then the other wants to keep Old School OLD SCHOOL " my generation " for me :lol: .....

This cracks me up...Like JDB and his stems, priced to account for inflation :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? They priced stuff to be as high as they could get without looking like pirates.

Greg Hill doing this is surprising. I would have thought of all people he would try to differentiate. Instead it takes Juan to do it right...

The fork legs are 1-1/8" dia tube, so that will be a dead giveaway.

That's greats...so why did GH say they are exact replicas when they are not? Could have saved himself a lot of aggravation. I usually don't assume however I will and guess the OG legs are 1 inch in diameter?

Maybe he is not aware of this. :Power.Grin:

What about if the fork is not with the frame and the serial number is not shown in a picture? How would it differ?

I am currently sitting in my office looking at an OG GHP frame and a new replica side by side, there are quite a few (at least 3) differences that can be noticed immediately.

Waiting for confirmation as to waht exactly I am comparing it to, owner of OG frame claims it is original 1st gen but the stickers are wrong, the SN has a baseball symbol.

It looks like an exact replica until close examination. the most obvious difference is this; slotted seat mast(OG)and "keyholed" seatmast. (re-issue.)

seatmast.jpg

Thats a Cyclepro GHP, sadly, so a comparison wont be possible.

I have an 83 frameset at Chip's, if anyone knows him, has a new set and wants to compare, pls feel free.

Thanks Neil, thats what my intuition was telling me.

If anyone has access to an '83 for some close up pics I can put up some pics of the distinct (but subtle) differences between the cycle pro and the re-issue to compare against the OG.

R.

The fork legs are 1-1/8" dia tube, so that will be a dead giveaway.

That's greats...so why did GH say they are exact replicas when they are not? Could have saved himself a lot of aggravation. I usually don't assume however I will and guess the OG legs are 1 inch in diameter?

Maybe he is not aware of this. :Power.Grin:

My guess is the manufacturer screwed up. I know Greg sent a set of OS forks over to have the dropouts copied and to use for reference.

Pang or Tao or whoever welded them up, was told to make forks and they grabbed normal (for today) sized tubes.

No point comparing the Cycle Pro. As far as i know these new frames are exact replicas. No new school geometry etc.

Randy- I can bring my '84 GHP to the Joe Albi grand opening or to your track next month and we can grab some shots of the two to compare.

Cool phil, I won't be there for Joe Albe (On vacation in Alaska that week) but a few of my bikes are going over with the owner of that re-issue GHP. I'll make sure he brings it.

can you take pics of the drop outs on your bike (particularly the "scalloped" area between the seat and chain stay.) and also close up macro shots of the "ledge" area at the top and bottom of the head tube, these are areas where there are differences between the re-issue and the cycle pro.

Where their any differences between the 83 and 84 models or did the same design carry through?

I am confident that no matter how hard someone tried to make an exact copy there are going to be subtle differences. I think the step-ledge on the head tube is going to be a key point. It would be nice to make these differences a matter of public record so that an informed buyer would never mistake one for the other. I'm not all anti retro/re-issue by any means (I own an Azusa and an 05 GHP cruiser), but I would like to see the collectors have some peace of mind about the issue as I am a fan of the GHP brand, both old and new.

Randy- I can bring my '84 GHP to the Joe Albi grand opening or to your track next month and we can grab some shots of the two to compare.

the "C" serial # may be OK today but in 10 years, the new collector isn't going to know the difference. These frame sets will definitely be sold as originals...and Greg knows that.

23_31_1.gif

Assuming that the collector community is as strong in 10 yeas as it is now, I would disagree with that. Nobody is going to forget the history of the company. collectors will be very aware of the reissued frames and their "C" serial #s.

Uninformed buyers are everywhere, there are classic exaples of it on other sites regularly. At some point, some jackhole will probably represent one of these as original to some uninformed noob and it'll be plastered all over the net as shameful. But the shame is in that there are some people willing to take advantage of others who share some of the blame because didn't take the time to be informed before hitting the "buy it now" button.

Question, As a business, should GHP listen to 100 collectors who typically dont purchase current GHP products and dont want GHP to do it, or 100 guys with $400+ willing to wait in line to get one.

IMO the re-issues will eventually be collectable in their own right and OG values will go up.