Sign in to follow this  
markmc97225

Takagi cranks of different types

We've all seen the different Takagi cranks. But, what's the real difference? Timeline? Material?

My belief is bottom to top is older to newer. But, why doesn't the model in the middle say CrMo? Is it not Chromoly? I don't recall 180mm cranks in the late 70's, so, when did they come out? If it says MX is it different somehow than if it doesn't?

All are cast with T7 81 across the spindle area, and I know the bottom set was available in 1979, so, that's not date info. Any info folks have would be great.

IMGA0530.JPG?psid=1

IMGA0530.JPG?psid=1

• Like 1

i always thought the MX ones were the older ones.

There's that 4th style I don't have. That's the oldest of the versions I believe, and the reason I think I have them stacked right. The sizing was a later addition. Thanks for the addition. With that new addition, folks still think the middle is next in line, or is sizing a later addition?

Here is what I have. The Takagi Three Arrows MX cranks I believe came along in 1976. they were available in both black and chrome finish. they were forged steel and heat treated. The chrome versions of these cranks came on the '76 Suzuki GVX-1 bikes as a standard component. (good choice)

\'76-1.JPG

From the JBM catalog I have.

JBM-1.jpg

Scan10010 - Copy.JPG

Take note of the specs.

Scan10010 - Copy (2).JPG

the Suzuki GVX-1 was introduced in late 1976 and some people date these bikes around 1977 mostly because that is when most magazine and print coverage came out on them. but 1976 is correct.

So I would say the timeline on these cranks should start at 1976. smile.gif

• Thanks 1

In the first pic that Mark posted, the Takagi MX 170 x 24 cranks without the "Cr-Mo" stamp are made of Manganese/Mang-Moly. During the late 70's, Japan's bicycle industry/manufacturing was in full swing and their supply of chrome-moly steel couldn't keep up with the demand abroad. This gave way to Mang Moly being used as an alternative for chromoly bicycle parts and frames due to it's similar characteristics.

Reynolds 531 tubing (Mang-Moly) gained some popularity around this time as well...

So -- is it possible that the Takagi Cr-Mo and the MX without the size stamp were both earlier cranks and then the ones with size stamp were later? Are they two different version of similar cranks made of different materials? That's how it looks to me...

The original Takagi one piece cranks came out during BMX's "heavy duty" era and had thicker crankarms (see Sod's pics) than the subsequent ones that came out in the later 70's. There is actually an earlier version than the "MX" that has no stamps on the crankarms but is stamped "T-1 Japan" on the spindle portion, I estimate they were produced sometime around '75? I found one of these w/ a Three Arrows sprocket on a '75-'76 A&A earlier this year.

I believe the size/thread stamp started sometime around '80? I've often wondered if it was by choice or a requirement at the time?

Yes the mangmoly and chromoly cranks are exactly the same, just different steel.

• Thanks 1

I think both of the cro-mo cranks were after both of the others with the length-stamped MX's being the transition. I'll have to check the ads I have.

I have one set 165 in chrome just cast T165, between the BB bearings.

Have a few more 28 TPI stamped only Takagi MX on the crank arm, but in 28 TPI.

Have a few later, in TakagiCROMO 180X24.

They did not break or bend in the memory banks.

Regards,

A.G.

tak.jpg

The newest of the lot. I went with a one piece, sealed bb on my Free Agent Pro... figured the bike was made for a smaller rider.

Does any body have one of those chrome Takagi 120BCD spiders for the early Takagi Chainwheels they want to let go, and with the correct bolts maybe ?

That post sort of got me looking harder at the differnces and the timeline.

So, what have we determined? That length and thread stamping is later models? So, we have them in order oldest to newest:

1. Takagi MX

2. Takagi MX CrMo

3. Takagi MX (length)

4. Takigi CrMo (length)

I'm on board with Aaron's thought that the length/thread stamping was at least 1980+, if not 1981. I'll have to dig some more on that, but, the Chromoly/Mangmoly lesson was awesome! Thanks Aaron!

That post sort of got me looking harder at the differnces and the timeline.

So, what have we determined? That length and thread stamping is later models? So, we have them in order oldest to newest:

1. Takagi MX

2. Takagi MX CrMo

3. Takagi MX (length)

4. Takigi CrMo (length)

I'm on board with Aaron's thought that the length/thread stamping was at least 1980+, if not 1981. I'll have to dig some more on that, but, the Chromoly/Mangmoly lesson was awesome! Thanks Aaron!

I still think you have two and three mixed up. I'll try to dig for ads tomorrow if I have a chance.

Almost all of my bikes are '74,'75 or '76 and I have lots of MX (non- CrMo) in both length-stamped and non-stamped. The first CrMo (it has the length) I ever had is on a '79 DeCoster I just picked up. I believe it to be a survivor but am not positive.

DeCoster with pic of crank

I have a pair of the #2 cranks on my 79 GJS that I bought BITD, if that matters. I think I'm surprised at there being length stamped cranks that early in the game, back in the late 70s.

That's really the thing I'm trying to come to grips with. I had sort of figured that the length stamping was a later addition. Interested for sure to see what your research shows.

But, I could easily see the non-CrMo cranks being the earlier model. Just want to make sure I keep my parts accurate.

Thanks!

good informative thread bump...

anybody have the chrome three arrow ones i need them

Lovely when an info thread becomes a Want To Buy....

I was just cleaning up and ran across two sets both marked T7 81.

Guessing they were both made in 81.

Yet they have different stamps on the crank arms.

Takagi MX, and the other is TakagiCr-Mo180x24

:Idunno:

photo.JPG

T7 81 was the stamp on the earlier models, as near as I can tell, all PRIOR to 1981 (Maybe 81 and before). The cranks I bought new in 1979 are stamped with that. So, it's a very common stamp.

Very cool the Takagi MX in chrome.

I have a pair of Takagi Cr-Mo 180X28. Look like the ones on the top and have owned them since about 1986. Don't know why they aren't 24 tpi....

Interesting thread.

Here's a blackend steel set I have with a different date stamp than the T7 81 mentioned earlier in the thread.

Does the (T7 . 51) date stamp match a 1976?

100_5451.JPG

100_5452.JPG

100_5453.JPG

100_5455.JPG