Sign in to follow this  
markmc97225

Takagi cranks of different types

So the 7" cranks were 177.8mm, why did they offer them in "inches" and then switch to "mm"? Were any of the Ashtabula cranks stamped with the size? I know it's a different manufacturer, but maybe some other companies followed suit with the stamping?

Here's something you don't see everyday. They're on the way to me now so I'll add photos with a ruler on them later.

Takagi MX 185x28

001-77.jpg

002-74.jpg

003-72.jpg

Great post on the article. I've been DYING for something like that. It shows the size stamped cranks are "new". So, a big piece of detail on truly making a pre-1980 bike authentic.

I"m gonna go dig the whole article out of oldschoolmags.com, and read it all.

Thanks!

Nevermind my last post. The cranks showed up, they're 165x28....not 185. Ugh!

Bummer!

I know...

I've got 2 Takagi MX 28tpi sitting here, at this point I'd happily trade both for one set of the super longs I need.

The hunt continues... :30:

I've been dabbling a bit on this here and there. Ryan has some great posts that I think really help seal it up. At least for me.

I think the general timeline is as expected. Simply put, no length stamp is earlier. And MX only is earliest. MX/Chromo is next. So, for me, I'll do my pre-80 bikes with no length stampings. It seems then by 1981, per the item in post 32, we know for sure length is now posted. Maybe earlier? Intro date to me all that is unknown.

I think that you also see Takagi move from a US/English to a metric break around 81. I have 2 loose, non-length cranks, they are 6.5 and 7" exactly. From having some of the stamped models, they seem to center out on the metric measurements I recall. (See Post 27)

this is good stuff... thanks contributors!

I think there's 2 different versions of the early "MX" crank. Stampings are the same, but the arms are different diameters, the earliest version had way more meat, especially around the drive pin. Both are stamped "Takagi MX" only. 

The 3rd and 4th version gets tricky, sort of. In the August 1981 article I posted above 2 versions are shown and discussed. They state that.... "The Takagi crank is the original one-piece crank that was made for BMX. Originally chromoly, as indicated on the side of later models, the Takagi crank is now made from Mangaloy due to a severe chrome-moly shortage in Japan." The photos show 2 different styles and specifies in the photo captions which is the "newer version", which has the length and race printed on the side. So...the originals were chromoly and it's stamped on the later models, then the shortage of chromoly hit and they went back to the "MX" stamp and added the length/race markings. So....

1. Takagi MX (fat meaty arms)

2. Takagi MX (skinnier arms, less meat around drive pin)

3. Stamped cranks appear like this(chromoly marked, no size) ---> Takagi Cr-Mo

MX

4. Takagi MX 165x28 ("New style" per Aug '81 article, stamped with size/race thread, made of Mangaloy)

5. Takagi Cr-Mo 180x24 (late 1981+ style, Chromoly with length and race printed)

To further up the model #3, Takagi/ChroMo/MX, that's the model on my GJS, which I bought in 1979. The run carrying thru to 1981 is a bit longer than I expected to be honest. 

Apologies for the thread dig but this informative thread needs a nudge......

Carry on....

I was just doing a bit of early morning fine tuning on one of my builds.  In this instance I was doing a crank swap and thought it would be cool to take a quick shot of three early Takagi MX cranks that I have.

I know for sure that the set in front of shot are the first gen. models due to them having "more meat" around the pedal spindle hole.  These are also stamped "Takagi MX" but the stamping hasn't been hi-lighted in white, like the later versions.  They are also finished in a different kind of black than the later ones.

Following them are the more often seen chrome with "black filled" stamping and the ever popular black with "white filled" stamp.

All have a center of crank stamp "T751". 

takagi003.JPG

PJ  :)

Ive been looking at all the different stampings and am thinking that any particular stamping was used until the next model or until the current stampings machine/mould/forge needed rebuilding. So a crank may have the same stamping for up to a few years if they didnt change it. So my theory is that T751 would be from 1975 on, T781 would made from 1978 on. T801 would be from 1980 on. Am always looking for more info and data so if theres another stanping that doesnt adhere to these then would love to see.

Edited by gtho

Nice thread, i found something of interest when tearing apart a world traveler from 72, a 3 arrows chainring and marking that I now know are a Tagaki crank arm. Its marked 73172 but the frame is marked 72. The other side of the arm is simply marked Japan. Thanks for hosting the info, tho, it helped out. Unable to insert pic from fb, but thanks again. Its at this page: 

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4641255079223577&id=100000173912426&set=p.4641255079223577&source=47&ref=bookmarks

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.20.08 PM.png