Sign in to follow this  
chromey

1983 SKYWAY TA

Just wanted to share some pics of the Skyway TA.

Frame & Fork - 1983 SKYWAY TA (OG Chrome and mostly stickers)

Bars - STAR Bars

Cranks - 1st Generation Bullseye "2pc cranks" (Original Chrome)

Bottom Bracket - Bullseye (original to the 1st gen cranks)

Pedals - Shimano DX

Power Disc - Sugino (OG Chrome)

Chainring Bolts - Sugino Stamped

Chainring - Tuffneck Slotted

Tires - Kuwahara / IRC "z1"

Rims - UKAI Speedlines (OG red and decals, polished sidewalls)

Hubs - Bullseye low flange (Orig. early-Oval decals)

Seatpost - Robinson (OG chrome and Decal)

Seat - Cycle Pro Shotgun II

Seat Clamp - Dia Compe 2-bolt

Chain - kmc

Stem - Tufneck

Grips - OURY

Head Lock - Suntour

Headset - Tange (combination) MX-3, and 320

Caliper - Dia Compe MX 1000

Lever - Dia Compe Tech-3

Original chrome on all parts with some scrapes and bruises. The only "work" done on the bike was cleaning up the sidewalls on the Ukai hoops.

On to the pics, enjoy :) :

ta_01.jpg

ta_02.jpg

ta_03.jpg

ta_04.jpg

ta_05.jpg

ta_06.jpg

ta_07.jpg

ta_08.jpg

ta_09.jpg

Nice! Where did you find those tires?! The bars are a sweet touch too!

Thanks!

I know. I really lucked out with some of the parts on this bike.

The Tires came from a buddy in NJ, he found himself some nice Comp 2's - and knew I wanted some too - offered me these and I'm happier than if they were Comps - since the Red Kuwi logo matches - and I really love the tread design.

Getting the tires really kicked this project into gear for me. I've always wanted a TA.

(btw - the shop sticker was added after. it's from my childhood local shop "Guys Bikes" - I used to drool over a TA they had in the shop for years. I also bought this frame set from a fellow Pennsylvanian - So it all made sense for me. I've had the shop sticker on a notebook for over 20 years. - Figured I'd add it to this bike to make the fantasy TA a bit closer to me. The date codes on the bottom of the sticker are for 1984-85-86, which were the years I saw the TA in that shop.).

I like it Alot Matt. Not too much color. The parts selection are a different look

than you usualy see also. Sweet!!

The best part of this build is that you did NOT use Tuff's and to that I say bravo.gif

Nice job Matt, even though I thought this might be a Hoffman replica when I saw the post!

The best part of this build is that you did NOT use Tuff's and to that I say bravo.gif

Nice job Matt, even though I thought this might be a Hoffman replica when I saw the post!

Thanks Guys. :)

Yeah - Although I can totally respect the traditional TA builds (Patriotic and full of Skyway bits) - I really didn't want to get typical with this build. I wanted to keep it pretty different from what I've seen before and use some more interesting components. I've had the hubs lying around for about 5 years... with absolutely no plans for them.... Once I got the Bullseye cranks it tied the drive train all together.

I also wanted to see if I could keep it pretty light. The 2pc Bullseye cranks were a pin in the butt to install and get dialed, but I eventually got them installed and working smoothly. They're so cool - and weigh almost nothing. Plus I've been itching to do a build with Red speedlines - but I didn't want to go over the top with colored parts. I even removed a red caliper I had on there.

Jake, we'll have to pressure someone else into doing that Hoffman Tribute TA. I'd like to see someone do it too. :)

Awesome Matt. I'm glad you shared some detail shots as I've only seen the pics from summer slam at this point.

The polished sidewalls are a cool touch. Nice detail and I betcha it stops on a dime too. :)

The best part of this build is that you did NOT use Tuff's...

I also like that there's just a few slightly more than subtle touches of red instead of blue, or red AND blue.

I'd like to build something with some anno red stuff in the future... I love that deep brandywine flavor.

AWESOME ! They look sick together Matt :) That Skyway is a nice addition to your incredible collection

I'd be more surprised if this DIDN'T turn out this sick, Matt. I love every bit of it. I ALWAYS wanted those cranks when I was a tike...still do. One of these days. I love the parts selection...especially how the Robby stickers and the Star Bar decals match the frame stickers. Sick, man, sick.

at work but had to sign in to leave a comment here..

definitely one of the sweetest, uncommonly classic t/a builds i've ever seen!

:Praise: :rockout:

I'd be more surprised if this DIDN'T turn out this sick, Matt. I love every bit of it. I ALWAYS wanted those cranks when I was a tike...still do. One of these days. I love the parts selection...especially how the Robby stickers and the Star Bar decals match the frame stickers. Sick, man, sick.

Thanks Charlie for building my wheels. They turned out perfect! You have some serious talent for wheel-smithing. I owe ya lots of booze! :)

Sweetness. I like it lot.

So, I want to know why that layback looks okay on your bike and every time I put one on one of my bikes, I hate it and remove it the next day?

Nice job Matt. I appreciate the beat-up pedals, Robinson sticker and other patina. Looks very "real".

This sucks................ :whistling:

Bad ass build as always chromey!

I like Tuff's on TA's but I agree it's nice to see them without.

First gen Bullseyes are the only version of Bullseye's I would ever own. Nice choice.

DOPE!!!

one of the cooler TA's ive seen. really like seeing that you went with rims instead of tuffs.

especially love the Star stuff! nah.I.mean.gif

wow... I'm late to the party, but so glad I got here. That is superb. Didn't know you were cornering the market on Star bars!

I've grown to have a degree of disdain for Bullseye products, the last few years have sort of tainted them in my view (most of you will require no explanation)... but you've really done good things with the brand here. It fits and this is a great looking bike.

Digging the battle scarred stickers too!