Sign in to follow this  
mrraceinc

Tuf Neck Impala forks or Cook Bros?

I did a post a while back about a set of forks I had. They looked super similar to Cooks with a couple exceptions. There was no rosette at the back of the steer tube and the holes in the dropouts were bigger. I had always assumed that maybe these were later model Cooks forks. Today I was thumbing through BMX Action June of 1980 and there in the Tuf Neck ad was a set of Impala forks that looked exactly like mine! Does anyone know if these were actually produced? Here is a scan of the ad and my forks. Be sure to supersize ad and the forks are lower right.

lastscan.jpg

Sep 2010 101.jpg

Sep 2010 103.jpg

damn they look close. I super sized your ad a few times. The axle slot on the fork in the ad looks more like a key hole and a uniformed shape as where your fork seems to roll out toward the front of the fork drop out.....man, maybe my eyes are bad and it is. the only other thing I take from your photo of the fork drop out "nose plate" thats welded to the fork leg looks sort of sloped in? Is that so or an optical illusion?

It is actually an optical illusion. Like I said they are almost identical to Cooks. I was wondering if these couple differences are how Tuf neck got away with making them. Here are Cooks for reference. Cook is the rear fork

Ebay Aug2010 131.jpg

I am not sure if Cook could have done anything about that. They were all copying Redline at that point.

I am not sure if Cook could have done anything about that. They were all copying Redline at that point.

That is true! Basically both Cooks and Tuf Neck are just Redlines with holes in the drop outs. The thing is I have never seen any builds with Tuf Neck forks so I was wondering if they ever were actually put into production. Maybe there are more out there than I think and people are saying they are Cooks Bros?

Good luck getting any info...Ive been into BMX since the early 80s and this is the 1st Ive seen/heard of these forks. It never ceases to amaze me the parts you unearth!!

I did a post a while back about a set of forks I had. They looked super similar to Cooks with a couple exceptions. There was no rosette at the back of the steer tube and the holes in the dropouts were bigger. I had always assumed that maybe these were later model Cooks forks. Today I was thumbing through BMX Action June of 1980 and there in the Tuf Neck ad was a set of Impala forks that looked exactly like mine! Does anyone know if these were actually produced? Here is a scan of the ad and my forks. Be sure to supersize ad and the forks are lower right.

I have a set of forks like yours, on a Diamond Back frame, that I am trying to identify. Mine has the same angled key hole like the Impala's, but the drilled holes look smaller like Cooks Bros. Mine, also, have a rosette on the back of the steer tube like Cook Bros. I believe that looks like a welded up hole that wasn't ground smooth.

Here is a link to my fork I.D. thread: My link

My Cook Bros forks have that same welded up hole thing on the back of the steer tube.

My Cook Bros forks have that same welded up hole thing on the back of the steer tube.

Someone thought they might have been the Tuf Neck Impala's and gave me this link. It would be cool, if they were, but I'm pretty sure they are Cook Bros. However, it was nice to learn something new, as I never knew Tuf Neck made forks. Thanks for the info.