Sign in to follow this  
wagonguy

Finally! Challenger bars

Been looking for a set for quite a while, and finally got some! I had to buy a complete bike to get them, but my Challenger will be much happier!

Doug

IMG_2688a.jpg

IMG_2689a.jpg

challenger handlebars

• Like 1

Yes, and a smaller diameter crossbar. They pretty much feel the same, just not as stout.

Good on you Doug, I just scored the same set in a cruiser version for a project I am working on.

Nice!

Congrats. I know of a couple of people searching high and low for these.

Any idea when that sticker was used? I seem to recall buying my first set from Chris as S&M Challenger bars and they just had an S&M sticker. (I traded those on a bike a couple years ago. I was told they were of little value and a dime a dozen.) As I recall, Chris told me they were new and just a lightweight version of the Slams.

The set I still have, I got from Chris later on. Anywhere from 3-18 months later. They have a single flag and Challenger on the sticker. No tachometer.

TorkerProSBars.jpg

Thanks Michael. I'm not sure on the exact years on the stickers. I've never seen the one you have, pretty cool! S&M is always a learning experience for me for sure!

Doug

Crupi's with Velocity hoops and Ti spokes. The bike is pretty loaded with nice stuff.

Doug

Ok, I had an email conversation with Chris about the order of the Challenger bar decals. Here is the info he gave me.

The checkered flag (like Planet X) were first and the oil pressure gauge with checkered flags (like Dougs) were part of the first graphic kit but were a 2nd version. Then the Speed and Machine followed by the C with the Spark Plug (he said there were versions of the C in Orange, and one in blue, I seem to remember green too) and the final version had the road bike type Italian flag (sort of like the International Challenger colors).

So to summarize:

1. Checkered Flags

2. Two checkered Flags with oil pressure gauge (part of the original graphic kit).

3. Speed and Machine

4. C and the spark plug (orange, glue)

5. Italian Flag

please take amazing photos of your bars, Doug and Michael and post them in the database, if you haven't already.

Ok, I had an email conversation with Chris about the order of the Challenger bar decals. Here is the info he gave me.

The checkered flag (like Planet X) were first and the oil pressure gauge with checkered flags (like Dougs) were part of the first graphic kit but were a 2nd version. Then the Speed and Machine followed by the C with the Spark Plug (he said there were versions of the C in Orange, and one in blue, I seem to remember green too) and the final version had the road bike type Italian flag (sort of like the International Challenger colors).

So to summarize:

1. Checkered Flags

2. Two checkered Flags with oil pressure gauge (part of the original graphic kit).

3. Speed and Machine

4. C and the spark plug (orange, glue)

5. Italian Flag

That's great info on the Challenger bars 

I have some cruiser bars with the sparkplug , but there missing the C from the other side 

Hope to find that decal one day 

now if we cad add years to the order... that would be sweet

I wouldn't use that list, not sure if he forgot the order but I have a 99 catalog with the single checkered flag version in the picture. Plus the earliest Challenger bars were sans a decal entirely, just the FMF font S&M logo. Gay bars were stickered up the same way early on as well.

Seen the FMF decal and the shield singly on a lot of bars 

I have some gay bars that only came with the shield decal

For some reason I think these had a slight difference in the bar height 

Can't check now as I've sold my other Gaybars 

I have a set think I bought them new in 1994 or 1995 from A1 cycle in west minster CA was going to run them on my challenger. but shelved them for slams lol now there on my free agent alloy race bike.. I think stickers 2 flags