Sign in to follow this  
TONEDOG

HOWARDS BMX PRODUCTS-SERIAL# HPO1(SOMETHING VERY FEW HAVE SEEN BEFORE)

I found this a couple of months ago.I posted pics of the factory bent back CW style bars(HOWARDS BMX PRODUCTS BARS?) that came on this frame to see if anyone had any info with no response.Does anyone have any info on this HOWARDS BMX PRODUCTS F&F?Serial# HP01.It looks very similar to a CW and Powerlite(chain stays).The frames sticker say Glendale Ca.

DSC01360.JPG

DSC01361.JPG

DSC01362.JPG

DSC01363.JPG

DSC01364.JPG

DSC01365.JPG

DSC01366.JPG

DSC01367.JPG

• Like 1

I found this a couple of months ago.I posted pics of the factory bent back CW style bars(HOWARDS BMX PRODUCTS BARS?) that came on this frame to see if anyone had any info with no response.Does anyone have any info on this HOWARDS BMX PRODUCTS F&F?Serial# HP01.It looks very similar to a CW and Powerlite(chain stays).The frames sticker say Glendale Ca.

The frame was made for Tom Howard (massive chain smoker) who owned a bike shop in Glendale, Ca. It was on glenoaks blvd near sonora ave. He was a dealer for Raleigh. When he made a bike shop team he decided to make frames for the team. I am not sure who actually built the frames because I was only 11 yrs old at the time. I was part of the bike shop team and I also received one of the frames. Once I left bmx I got rid of my bmx stuff. That frame brings back alot of memories for me. I think I still have my original jersey at my parents house. Tom later sold the bike shop to some guy named McCauley and then the shop moved to Burbank, Ca. If you want to sell the frame and fork I would be glad to buy it from you since it has alot of history with me. I think that frame belonged one of the riders on the team named Eric Pearson who lived about 3 house down from me. LMK if you want to sell. Thanks.

Edited by CookBros. Fool

Hey CookBros. fool,I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell it.Do you have any info on the bars or remember seeing them BITD.

Ya, I barely remember the bars. Since I was only 11 I used expert GT bars. The bigger guys where given that bar but I dont really remember much about them only that Tom would always say they are "cool as $hit"!

Edited by CookBros. Fool

Nice one, Tonedog. :cheers:

sick frame set and cool, simple decals!! 36_2_25[1].gif

everything (but the serial and decals) definitely looks like a CW.

Yep, CW built f&f for sure. The bars look like Bull bars which were also made by CW.

Looks like a striaght up CW with Howards stickers - allot of earlier bike shop teams would do that - JMC Ralphs etc some even welded gussests or brakebridges to pre-existing frames just to sorta make it theirs.

The HP serial number could also have been added after, just a guess but I'd imagine it stood for Harold Products - hell it would save a ton on manufacturing costs - LOL

Cool little relic.

I found this at a swap meet a couple of months ago looking in the back of this ladies van with my flashlight in one hand and immediately cash in the other hand.It had really good parts on it too.It was fully loaded.

Where did you find that frame? I think only a handful where made but where never sold to the public. Did you get it from a team rider? If so, who was it?

I just did a google search on CW Bull bars,and it took me to a thread on this site titled Shadow "bull bars".The Bull bars are CW bars with a Powerlite power bend.They look different.By the way,a SWEEEEET Skyway is on the same thread.

Yep, CW built f&f for sure. The bars look like Bull bars which were also made by CW.

Email me

Here's a Howards Sport Cyclery "Ad" from the August '81 issue of SuperBMX.

Howards Cyclery.jpg

Hello, i was a factory rider in the last days of the team. My name is Larry White, NBA Pro,#30X, so cal,I spent some time with the team at races and trade shows, it was the best years of my life. Started racing at the age of 14 in Ventura and made the haul to the Teen Center in van nuys, then Azusa, Monrovia, Etc. and the list goes on. I have recentley looked into any old Howards items out there, nothing to find, i know this post is very old, but i just stumbled on it, i hope you still have that frame and fork, could be the last one i ever see, thanks for the memories, Larry

Welcome, Larry.

:cheers:

I had totally forgotten about this thread.

i forgot about this thead too. that thing is sick.

what are those bars? i kinda remember somebody posting a thread here asking about some 'mystery' bars that look like that?

Wow!!! Very cool indeed. I picked this sticker up in my travels. It is red with a clear backing. This must be a head tube decal 2"1/4 tall x 1" 3/4 wide.

howards.jpg

I raced BMX from ‘81-‘84.  My brother and I had jerseys from Howards Cyclery.  We started as beginners on Red Line bikes.  I then had a Cooks Bros. before racing for Thruster.  After that, we then had Robinson bikes.

We started at Monrovia then primarily raced at Van Nuys.  Also raced at Canyon Country, Corona, Sadleback, Bakersfield, and a few others.  We also did several demo races at A department store. Finished up racing at Azusa.  We were also at a big race at Knott’s Berry Farm one year.

I raced in the NBA, WWBMXA, ABA, and NBL.  I was just a young kid then, but still remember all the pros from the circuit:  Harry Leary, Stu Thompson, Perry Kramer to name a few.  They were always really cool to my brother and I.  

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mike M.

• Like 3

Hey Mike, welcome to the site.  Thanks for sharing your story.    Looked like you were pretty active here in so cal.   Other than great memories, did you keep anything from back then?   Those jerseys, bikes, etc???    If so, start a thread...we’d love to see.   

Hi Mike. Might have crossed paths back in 82-84. Ran a couple of the same tracks. Like TrulyOdd pointed out if you got anything to share, we are most definitely interested in seeing things.

I remember Larry White from time spent at the Teen Center, a fast racer for sure.