Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Diamond Back ~~~ gets very little love. Why?

Is that the same as the one that sold on Aussie Ebay not long ago? It was a genuine DB 24.

The owner and the president (who I personally know)of Diamondback probably never touched a foot on a bmx track in their lives - this translates into not true organic roots.

Yup, Sandy along with the riders he chose were the defining factor of DB

That Black 24 looks a little off to me. The dropouts and fork dont really look DB but obviously the gusset is telling me different...

Were all DB's looptails?

Still looking for info on this Looptail 24 I found. Forks are Tange with DB drops marked as an '83. Frame only has the large "24" in the inside of left drop. No serial #.

Its still in the works to be built, Turbo cranks, Chrome Araya's ect..

100_8353.jpg

100_8355.jpg

100_8359.jpg

100_8365.jpg

Edited by whttrsh
  • Like 1

If that thing is real, it's a genuine piece of history. I could not bring myself to build that, especially not knowing exactly what it is. I'd maybe treat the rust and then let it sit 'til I could learn more about it.

If that thing is real, it's a genuine piece of history. I could not bring myself to build that, especially not knowing exactly what it is. I'd maybe treat the rust and then let it sit 'til I could learn more about it.

It had been rechromed. I had it striped to make sure it wasnt a 20" extended. The forks had been repaired, very crapy repair, and the frame has some damage. Like crimping from a kickstand.

I had it at Gonzo's last year. Everbody the saw it in person were thourghly tripped out.

Wish I could get in touch with Kozi to see if he can shed some light.

Db's Suffered fron the Poser Posse that rode the cheap beasts. I like the high end stuff they made Now. But as a kid Db was a 1 step above K-Mart.

Seen quite a bit of Diamond Back action at local tracks lately. I like seeing the brand still being competitive out there. They got a pretty decent team too- in fact, watch for Matt Pohlkamp going for the Vet pro title at grands on a Diamond Back next week.

Really early in Diamond Backs history, I thought them to be supreme exotica because it took months for me to finally see one in the flesh. For whatever reason, no local shops picked DB or Kuahara up for a year or so, I think it had a little to do with them coming locally from the same rep who sold Fuji, and burned a few local shops around 78/9 on a bunch of weird BMXers like San Tropez and another label that grenaded pretty consistently if you put them NEAR dirt.

Their higher end stuff was lovely, well made and had good geometry for the under 14 set, of which I was then a part of. The mild steel stuff had bird turd welds and weighed a ton like everyone else's entry level crap.

What set Diamond Back apart at the time were 3 things.

Sandy,

Harry Leary

And marketing.

Whatever happened to Ramon?  It's so weird to me that a guy can be so deep in it, and then just ghost.

For later comers, Ramon was a big DB collector with good knowledge of this subject too.

Man...I haven't heard from Ramon in a long time!  He and I used to be neighbors...he hooked me up with the pieces to build a replica of my first bmx a DB Silver Streak...oh, and a 3rd gen set of Profile cranks to finish my Quad project.  Great guy...I wish he was still around.

I still keep in touch with Ramon. He still has his Harry Leary Turbo. I believe he and his wife moved to Altadena. He is now working for GM in the model shop there.

That sounds about right...when we were neighbors he had discussed moving to Murietta. I guess they decided on Altadena instead...tell him I said, "hello".

Its funny, cause back when we where racing, nobody we knew rode a DB......It did seem kinda  like an import, amongst a sea of domestic bikes.. With all the killer California companies cranking out  the exotics, DB seemd kinda cheap.

Now, as a collector, I see Diamond back is like Redline is now. Made in China, by the billions. And zero interest in them as a company. Might as well buy a Magna, or a Next, or a Pacific... Yuck!

Mass produced junk. Priced for Wallmart.

Here's my last build. It has chrome KKT rat traps on it now.

81 Senior Pro. 

My first DB.

Diamond Back 2.jpg

I have always wanted a Heary Leary Turbo...That is a bitchen looking bike...

The Turbo was bad assed.

Still think the cranks were cool.

Diamond Back had one hell of a team.

Lucky for me, none of them were in my class.

Never cared for Diamondbacks as they seemed cheap or barely above dept store status. But when the 88' Reactor came out I thought it was killer. There was one recently for sale and I wish I had picked it up. The guy parted it out which was a shame.

Yep... they are focusing on Roadies.

DB's were always a strong part of the scene over here in Oz, bitd (80-84) they had teams in nearly all states, plated riders and always had good presence at the major meetings. It was hard not to notice the brand and plenty of people raced their bikes, not so much the top end Leary's, but everything else were in abundance.

I've always loved DB's and especially remember loving the color combo. I took the time to build a gorgeous HLTurbo but when a friend waved 35 hundred dollar bills in my face I let it go. I was one of the extremely lucky ones to find the DB stamped Comp 2's. Great bike but a little past my time.

It was originally found (frame/Forks/Stem/Cranks) in a scrap metal truck and was purchased for $20!