Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Diamond Back ~~~ gets very little love. Why?

Mine as seen in the recent BOTY ..... totally OG 1982, down to the Comp II DB tyres and seat.

PC220498.jpg

My previous 82 Custom HLT, which was traded out for the above....

PB180201.jpg

the OG turbo is spectacular

i have always loved diamond back. you can say what you want about where they were made, but they raced here in the U.S. , big time i might add. they weren't some whore brand that didn't give back. they had one of, if not , the biggest team out there. and with top notch riders. so if you don't have something good to say, dont say it. i probably don't like your favorite little bike either.

Whoa. :lol:   If you read the first post, I specifically ask why we don't see more Diamond Back interest.  (I say that I like DB, mind you.)  So if people explain why they don't like it... they are probably only doing so to answer my question.  Clearly a lot of people DO like DB, but please don't take it personally if they don't.  

For those of you who may have joined the site after 2006, Sandy Finkelman the Diamond Back team manager during the golden era, was a moderator here.  Unfortunately Sandy passed away. This is not a DB hate thread in any sense... my view about DB has always been positive. My interest was in figuring out why we don't see more DB's in the collector scene. The brand seems under represented relative to the team and brand's undeniable popularity and high profile, back in the day.

I think.....

In the early 80's, lets say from 1980-1982 (before the Turbo came out around Oct, Nov, Dec of 1982), the race products were promoted as race products in the magazines.  

But the economy bikes and completes were simply not that good in my opinion. The Silver Streak (released around Summer 1982) was good for the money. But still, it was a good looking economy bike, priced at under $300 if I'm not mistaken.

I don't follow the collecting aspect of BMX racing much except for my friends here and what they have. So I'm saying this from a racer's point of view.

---------------------------------

Has anyone done a strictly racer based build of a Diamond Back Senior Pro build like the one Rick Gaytan and I pulled together? The build we did was based off of what the actual Diamond Back U.S. Team (the factory team) used around 1980 (the inception of the team) to around Fall 1982 (when certain team members started running Turbo prototypes). 

Very specific parts were on the team's bikes. 1980, 1981, 1982. 

I know some might call it differentt cause of the Japanese co-sponsors

that the team riders wore patches and stickers. But they turned their heads 

the other way when the team riders were winning races. This is how pretty much all the team rider's bikes were set up. (understand I'm not going by whats posted on  http://dbbmx.wordpress.com  I don't think I've ever met him.) 

DB Pro Series frame (Senior, Medium, Jr) 

DB single dropout fork, 

Most ran Pro Necks, Loncarevich ran a Torker stem

DB bars, 

Tange MX 3 or Tange MX 5 headset, 

Haro numberplates, Lightning Bolt, Type 2, Series One

Mostly Oakley II and Oakley .5 grips (Loncarevich ran home customized grinded down Oakley 3's for a while in 81')

Johar pads

Kashimax seat, 

SR Leprade micro adjust seatpost, 

Sun Tour seat post clamp

Dia Compe 890's or MX 1000 brakes, 

either the Dia Compe long brake pads or Mathauser finned brake pads, 

Comp III or Comp II tires (the DB tires looked like Comp II's but were too soft and wore out too quick), 

In the very beginning of the team, they ran Araya 7B rims, then Araya 7C rims, 

then Araya 7x rims, 

Suzue hubs, except Leary at the beginning who ran Dura Ace road hubs with track axles, then later Leary and Loncarevich ran the first edition Son Lite hubs 

which were called LRP (Loncarevich Racing Products), and Eddy King who ran Phil Wood hubs for a while.

Asahi spokes, aluminum nipples cause the would pop out instead of break a spoke.

Almost EVERY racer on earth ran a Sun Tour rear freewheel 1/2x3/32

At first Leary ran Takagi 175mm one piece cranks. As soon as Red Line 401 Flight cranks were released, the whole team except Aaron Stevens ran them (he ran aluminum 3 piece cranks)

Diamond Back/ MKS-BM10 pedals with LRP (Loncarevich Racing Products) cages or Shimano DX pedals

Most ran Sedis Sport 1/2x 3/32 flat sided chains, some times Sun Tour , and were supposed to run D.I.D.  

Takagi spider. Leary ran a Phil Wood spider 

Edited by Johnny Johnson

Funny, I didn't know this was an old topic.....

Two other points..........

1) The Diamond Back Senior Pro had a much steeper steering head angle than pretty much everyone at the time... I think it was 73% or 74% which was crazy steep. I remember people filpping over the bars coming out of the gate on ocassion when the rider would throw his weight against the bars, coming out the gate. 

2) As far as the DB reps and big wigs not being around the sport much. I remember getting a handshake from not only Sandy Finkelman, but also main guys at WSI Mitchell Weiner and Mike Bobrick at the 1981 NBMXA/ Diamond Back Summer Nationals at Rancho (track) in East San Diego. So I can say, at least they were there at that race.

dig'n the stream of consciousness, parts inventory repartee, JJ.

On a related note, I was looking at an 83 Turbo Test article yesterday, and noted they mentioned Eddy King running a DK stem.  I thought that was notable at a relatively early date.

My brother's DB pro had a hella-steep head tube angle. He used to tell people that the dual dropout forks had that extra slot for pussies who were afraid to turn fast. I'll bet those bikes handled quick at Rancho ;-)

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Steve, 

When DK stems first came out, someone from that camp must've been on a mission to get good racer to run them. A LOT of good racers ran em shortly after their release. 

Richard,

I tried the centerline fork dropout. It was like being on a unicycle. SCARY STEEP.

i really liked db back in the late 70s/early 80s. have built one, but I'm getting ideas...

the OG turbo is spectacular

i agree, Steve. That bike is deluxe.

Heres a 85 Formula One I currently have possession of. One owner ALL original bike. Grips were changed the first week he owned the bike because he didnt like the Oakleys. Im putting new tires on it but am keeping the old ones. He wants to be able to cruise it around. He got it for Christmas when he was 10. Ive got about 15 hours of cleaning done. Going to reassemble it tonight. Bike is in amazing shape. I will be posting pics tomorrow of it reassembled. ALL decals are intact including the Suzue sealed hub decals and DB steerer tube decal as well as the chromo decal on the grip area of the bars. At some point, I will own this. Hes just not ready to sell yet. AMAZING time capsule. Heres the before pics.

20131215_111739.jpg

20131215_111746.jpg

20131229_200318.jpg

20131229_200327.jpg

Heres all the pics of the decals post cleanup. Ready for reassembly

20140107_223455.jpg

20140107_223532.jpg

20140107_223601.jpg

20140107_223618.jpg

20140107_223632.jpg

20140107_223644.jpg

20140107_223655.jpg

20140107_223711.jpg

20140107_223719.jpg

20140107_223735.jpg

20140107_223743.jpg

20140107_223752.jpg

20140107_223807.jpg

20140107_223820.jpg

20140107_223856.jpg

20140107_223931.jpg

Those welds look a lot nicer than I remember Diamond Backs looking.

On 12/15/2013 at 3:29 AM, timt said:

Never cared for Diamondbacks as they seemed cheap or barely above dept store status. But when the 88' Reactor came out I thought it was killer. There was one recently for sale and I wish I had picked it up. The guy parted it out which was a shame.

U ever heard of Harry Leary? Diamonback turbo?proxl.silver streak.

Delayed reaction?