Sign in to follow this  
byron_friday

Jim Emerson - Pedaler's West

Yo Check it,

I've been chatting with Jim Emerson aka Emo a bit , man... some things never change - he's TOTALLY the same, even sound the same.

For those who don't know Jim, his roots are very deep in the early days of So-Cal BMX:

Kawasaki BMX Team VIP Consultant/Team manager.

Worked with Linn Kastan to develop some of the original Redline prototypes and was a VIP product development consultant.

Pretty much introduced Shimano to BMX - Jim was the catalysis for the start of Shimano,s entry into BMX.

Jim and his business partners in Pedalers West/Packers West developed a huge local bmx team - Marvin Church, Dave Clinton and Bobby Encinas could do justice here and expand on this.

+++ Plus much more!

I'm sure many of you could chime in here with some more info, stories and incite on Emo.

It sure would be great to have the Bmx Society family get on board to help induct Jim in the BMX Hall of Fame. Back in 1974, I was a Joe Kid on a Stingray and dreamed about the bad ass European MX Riders, fortunately.... one day Jim and Dave Clinton asked me if I was interested in riding with them - that day changed my life.... I am so grateful!

.... if you look back Jim really is one of the many founding fathers of bmx.

Thanks,

BF

a guy i know was friends with him back in the day . my buddy builds racing jet boats . he may still know him . not sure on that . but he has a prototype scooter jim was designing back in the day hanging in his boat shop .. and yes i agree he should be included as one of the founding fathers of bmx . he did so much for the sport in it's infancy ...

byron , ask him if he remembers jim brock . that is the boat guy . he is the racer / builder i was referring to .

Yep! Jim Emerson would have my vote! and while were at it so would Marvin Church Sr. Both should be considered very strongly for nomination to the HOF.

Jim Emerson ran the very first BMX National Tour. I remember when they pulled up in the Shimano Van and out poured Byron, JP, John George, Eric Richter, Anthony Galati, Bobby Encinas....it was just awesome!

Jim was responsible for so much of the very early history of BMX and his story needs to be told. Byron, we should work together to get his story told to the modern day oldschoolers who may have never had the pleasure of knowing Jim. I have a few pics of him from the 74 tour when you guys stayed with us.

Jim's work was vital and pivotal in the formative years of bmx. So many people benefited from his efforts, including me.

Cash Matthews

I met Jim a few times at races but we never really interacted. His shop was in the Valley and I was an Orange County racer. I competed with alot of his team, like Byron, Marvin and David. I remember reading Jims name in print in the early publications.

There really are quite a few people from that time period who deserve recognition for their contribution in those early developmental years.

Got pics, Byron?

Byron,

I agree with you 100%. Jim needs to be in the Hall of Fame. He was instrumental in the early days of BMX.

In my opinion, this is long over due.

I can't tell you how many days I spent there at Pedalers West back in the late 70's thru 1983, when I joined the Air Force. Was sad seeing him no longer there when I returned, but as luck would have it, I got ahold of Chris Herting and found them both working as American Iron on 1st St in San Fernando building frames.

Shocked Jim Emerson isn't in the HOF.

I am currently in contact with Jim Emerson and would love to help coordinate something to honor him if you all are interested! Perhaps cards and pictures for a scrapbook or something more? 

I am sitting with Emo now eating dinner. He says he wishes he was at 412 McClay like the old days. He is looking for Friday, John George, and anyone else who used to be on his team! All of the team actually! He says he misses you all! He asked that if you wanna get in touch, to respond to me here. 

6C8CB851-5C20-4FDE-BE9B-F7A3B3785DE2.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely would like to see any of his history. 

:Sure: