Sign in to follow this  
rocks

crupi products

What year did Crupi start and are they still around

just found out started in 82 & still around...nevermind.

Yeah, sounds like you probably found some info on the Crupi site, but for the benefit of others, I want to post the link to the history section there: http://www.crupibmx....tails-page.html

Very interesting stuff. I look forward to the finish of their Crupi history section, although the story of Greg Swingrover is there already, and also a page on the S&M connection. Here's some shots of current Crupi owner and SM co-founder, Greg Swingrover. These are on their site.

Greg-hotshot-2.jpeg

BMXA - Sept 87

Greg-KOD-2.jpeg

John Kerr shooting Greg in 1988

I'm curious... amongst this community, what is the earliest Crupi part that you guys have?

• Like 1

any one no what ryan crupi is up to these days. i used to race him back in the day

Ryan Crupi is a hair stylist in Hollywood/Beverly Hills area last I heard.

http://www.ryancrupi.com

I saw his mom & dad at the 2009 Hall Of Fame banquet. Ironically, they and Greg/Richel Swingrover walked up to the check in table at the same time, but were not there together. They both said "Crupi" at the same time--funny stuff.

M

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like you probably found some info on the Crupi site, but for the benefit of others, I want to post the link to the history section there: http://www.crupibmx....tails-page.html

Very interesting stuff. I look forward to the finish of their Crupi history section, although the story of Greg Swingrover is there already, and also a page on the S&M connection. Here's some shots of current Crupi owner and SM co-founder, Greg Swingrover. These are on their site.

attachicon.gifGreg-hotshot-2.jpeg

BMXA - Sept 87

attachicon.gifGreg-KOD-2.jpeg

John Kerr shooting Greg in 1988

I'm curious... amongst this community, what is the earliest Crupi part that you guys have?

Bump.

Was just wondering this today. Both my kids currently run Crupi cranks on their race bikes, and to me their stuff has held legit for years. The current issue of PULL magazine has a short blurb of their latest products and whats up with the company.  They continue to put out excellent product and represent well at the track with talented riders.  Just curious about vintage Crupi parts and design see if anyone on here had input or pics

Edited by cwplanet

I have been looking into this as i have a pair of early Gen 1 Crupi hubs which i am trying to date.

All i have found is on the Crupi main website, which merely hints at dating the early items. The company itself started in 1982 so it must be assumed some early product date from that period. Much earlier than i originally thought. The early Gen1 items can be identified by the foil Crupi logo labels.

-----------------------------

HUBS

'Crupi's original hubs are where it all began for Crupi. These hubs use the same axles and bearings as their replacement Flip Flop hubs (or should we say the Replacement model uses the same axles and bearings as these original hubs) and have all of the same performance features!'

PEDALS

When advertising replacement pedal spindles....

'Original US made Crupi pedals shafts. We use only the finest heat treated chormoly or 6061-T6 aluminum available. Works on all Crupi caged pedals (not platform) but will not work on Crupi's Original pedals (circa 1982-1987) which have machined pins on the body.'

------------------------------

I am assuming therefore that the Gen1 pedals and hubs both dated from the early 80s onwards, starting in '82. I have messaged Crupi directly with this question but as yet, no reply.

Anybody else got further info?

Foil decals on the hubs are not a good way to date hubs.  They put them on hubs until the late 90's. Maybe for pedals because the earliest pedal versions weren't stamped or milled (or whatever they did), they had the foil decals as well.  I will have to search the sight to find a picture, I think Jacob Gatschet had a set.

I laugh when people say they have first gen Crupi hubs, usually the LF versions.  No one can prove it once they have been asked. The low flange hubs I have owned or seen from the 90's look exactly like what people call first generation (whatever that means).

• Like 1

My hubs came with an '83 Diamond Back which was purchased from the original owner. He put the hubs on it shortly after he bought the bike so i am just assuming they are early. As i said at the start of my post, i'm trying to date them. I think i read somewhere that the Crupi scripting on the foil decals changed at some point (which also doesn't help me as mine have worn to the point of just being silver strips with no red lettering whatsoever...)

I'm still waiting to find anybody with any useful information!

I did a lot of research on Crupi when I was building my Widowmaker a few years ago. I was researching their freewheels as the were later 80's exotica in my opinion. They were one of those items that few people knew about, were super expensive and hard to get.

Crupi would take a standard Suntour freewheel-all I have seen or own are black teeth- and replace the center with machined aluminum parts and build it into a master piece. When I called Crupi inquiring about information on them I was given the number of an old bike shop in California where they used to be built and I think Crupi Products was located. I will try to locate the name of the guy and the shop, but as soon as I asked about the freewheel you could tell he was walking down memory lane.

Here is a list of early products that I know of but there is a lot of information I don't know. Please add and or correct any of the information.

11015780_10153139343509814_617381468_n.jpg

Pedal cages: Unchanged from the beginning. With cages being made for Hutch (lCrupi round), Hutch Mini, Suntour square MTB, Victor/Suntour semi oval, SR Speedtrap, Crupi Square 

11040694_10153139347174814_185154571_n.jpg

Crupi Freewheels: Modified Suntour freewheel-ss discussed above.

1" Stems: Early stems had a basic C.P. stamped into the top, In the 90's (94 ish?) the CP logo was more modern milled and the quill 

Hubs: Low flange hubs are the biggest question. I don't have a lot of info on them. They were produced up to they changed to the second gen milled logo hubs in the later mid 90's. You could buy the foil decal hubs at many placed including Crupi's website up to a few years ago.

Bottom Brackets: Crupi made a square taper for the smaller guys but when it was released I don't know. The also made a titanium spindled 401 Flight Bottom Bracket that are extremely sought after still to this day. Brett Kimble had helped school me on these in the past. Like the freewheel this is an item that I have wanted since back in the day. 

Pedals: Rounds were of course based off Hutch pedals. They are a modern cmc's version of the Triton design. First had foil decals and I want to say these came out in 92. Squares first appeared around 93 or 94. Cnc'd logo with red paint unless it was a colored body. Generational changes were discussed here.

Hubs: High flange hubs were said to be Crupi's Cnc'd take on the Campy Record hub with of course sealed bearings. I first saw these in 93 or 94 and almost bought a purple set. These were foil decade as well until Crupi switched to the milled logo of the later ten hubs.

There was also a company that popped up with really cool anodized parts called JP. Many have learned JP was the company doing all of the mill work for Crupi and there was friction between the two. JP then made slight changes to the milled parts and sold what is believed to be the left over Crupi stock as JP.

Great info - many thanks. There isn't much mention of the 80's there. The current Crupi website states that they started up in '82 and also specifically refers to the low-flange hubs being 'what started it all for Crupi', and also that their original gen1 pedals were dated '82-'87.

I have emailed them twice now, and their phone number on the website just rings out but is never answered....

Do those freewheels have any identifying markings/stampings at all? Never heard of those until now.

I think that both crupi and jp offered titanium bottom bracket kits for both redline flights and profile cranks. Dont forget about the dome axle nuts and the platform pedals. I think they started making handle bars in the mid 90s, the aluminum pro bars are hard to find.

No identifying marks on the freewheels. Just how they are made and that they have aluminum centers. Very very few people knew of their existence, and price was a huge part of that.

I will go reread the Crupi page, as I have seen it but There is stuff I am have missed.

~S~

Jeff,

There were many items I purposely left off. Items that were coming out 93 or later like the axle nuts, frame savers and platform pedals were left off as they are more recent history and still available in recent years.

Yes JP made BB as well but covered in the statement above and not part of Crupi's history.  If I remember my information from Brett Kimble Crupi made four generations of BB's and JP is based off the last which is not very good.

~S~

Thanks & appreciation for the info provided so far. It would appear that the 80s stuff is pretty elusive? I'd be interested in seeing early Crupi products such as cranks and frames.

These are a recent find but came without info of course. However, they were from a collector who lives for the 80s. They were laced to 7/8" double wall rims. About to lace up 24s.

Notice anything odd about the hub machining and logos?

IMG_20201129_153025038.jpg

IMG_20201129_155034062.jpg