Sign in to follow this  
Smokin_Endo

Some help with a new bike

OK I can't figure this one out and could use some guidance from some of the more educated members on a couple questions I have. I need to get my son a new bike for Christmas and I want to get him something cool and current without spending a ton. I've looked a little on Dan's Comp and I have no idea what I'm doing LOL

Any suggestions on what I should take notice to ? Looking to spend like $350-$400 range.

Things I'm wondering

1 what justifies the difference in price when it come to a $600+ bike ?

2 is there much of a difference between race and freestyle ?

3 What size bearing set up am I after and/or is it even important ? American Spanish European ?

4 what brand/model do you guys recommend ?

5 where is the best place to get it ? on line or locally ?

6 if you have holiday couplons for online stores I could use all the help I can get

any help is greatly appreciated

and I will probably have to order this thing today in order to have it here in time no ?

thanks in advance guys

Go to flatlandfuel.com. They have a complete bike section. Look for a DK osipis(?). Its a good starter bike that can be set up for flatland or street riding or both.

I have a 2007 model, and I have no complaints at all

Its even cro mo and comes with 3pcs cranks, cant beat the price either, its like 300 dollars

thanks Jim ;) I'm going to get something to eat and check out FLF.com

DK I know so that's helpful...are they made in the USA ? just curious not a deal maker/breaker

In my opinion the difference between a $300 and $600 and up bike is the components. With many companies their is little difference between their frame and forks, but better hubs, cranks, etc is what set them apart. I'd suggest buying a flix trick bike and put it under the tree and let your son pick out his own bike. My parents always seemed to buy me the wrong things as gifts, it would be a bummer if you bought the wrong brand, color, style, etc. Also, I think ideally you would buy a bike local and take it for a spin before buying it. That way you are sure that the bike is a good fit and is something he's really into. On the other hand maybe you could ask one of his friends if there is a bike he's into and surprise him with it.

I bought danica a lil ripper.....i cant wait to give it to her for xmas.....

I bought my son a We the People Reason for $425.00 and it is a great bike for the money. After seing a DK Siklon($225.00) or other DK prodcuts, he likes the DK's better. The more you spend the better componets you get.

I kinda messed up buying my boy a bike. He wanted the Free Agent Stilleto, he dug the black look and graphics.

I knew the cranks were a bit long, but figured he would grow into em. He tells me, "Dad, my knees are making a clicking noise." One set of shorter cranks, BB, sprocket, and med FLY bars later he could ride it. Felt like a proper fitting bike would have been smarter. Got my chance because that one was stolen.

He was really eyeing one of those retro stickered Redlines, and I picked him up a "roam". Changed out the one piece to 165 and it fits well.

Whatever you choose, it helps if the bike fits.

A.G.

Check the SE website. In the dirt street freestyle section they have an entry level Quad listed for $350.00. check it out click click You may be able to even order it through this site. Steve??

thanks Jim ;) I'm going to get something to eat and check out FLF.com

DK I know so that's helpful...are they made in the USA ? just curious not a deal maker/breaker

Nope. A USA made frame alone is gonna run atleast $350

Thanks everyone...I think I'm headed in the right direction but still a little indecisive. I think I'm going to keep it local and go with the Subrossa Tiro.

Any of you familiar with Subrossa ? Looks like I can get it for right around $300

assembling it wouldn't be the worst thing but most of my bike tools are old school oriented so it's probably best to have it done at a shop. I don't think it's worth the extra $40 I'd save to order it and chance something going wrong...wrong color, parts missing, late shipping, back order there's a million things that could go wrong. It just seems worth it to spend a little more, support the local bike shop and have them put it together

any thoughts ?

he asked for Subrossa ?

Subrossa's are cool. Fairly new company. Mostly Chromo stuff (I think maybe made in the USA, but I could be wrong there).

I agree with everyone here that said go to a shop and find out what fits. No, there's not a ton of shops out there that specialize in BMX, but it'll be worth it if you find one. I have a very small shop by me that's actually mainly BMX. If you want to cruise up this way one day, I'd be happy to show it to you. I'm about 45 minutes to an hour drive from you I think. (And you can bring my rims with you :wink:)

Watch out for frame materials. One big difference in price range is how many tubes are Chromo. Some lower end bikes only have a chromo seat tube, and some have hi-ten fork legs.

Doug

I am with Sodbuster. The Quad is the best of both worlds: awesome old school design; plenty of strength.

And most of the SE prices are pretty reasonable.

As far as local or online, I went with online cuz I saved about $200. I am a believer in supporting the LBS, and I do when it comes time for parts or accessories, but these days two hundred bucks is two hundred bucks...

I picked my boy up a 2010 Intense Pro cruiser for 300 bux off Dans for xmas to replace his Street Beat that he's way to tall for now...I'm not much of a new skool guy, but that neon green podium style alloy frame is sweet!! He's wayyy stoked!! For a kid that just uses the bike to run around town I like the race oriented stuff better than the pegged up over built bikes.

I got him a Verde Eon with anno Green accent parts it was $310 out the door with one year free flat repair and brake service and a free Tee shirt and DVD

I think he's going to FREAK out ! and it is unbelievably light ! I mean old school GT race bike light

Can't wait to see his face

here's a link to the model but to see it with the green you will have to click on the lower right hand image

http://www.danscomp.com/101719.php?cat=BIKES#

the woman at the bike shop said it's been years since you could get a bike this light for $300 and I believe her

I'll get a pic if I have the chance later on today