Sign in to follow this  
chromey

1983 American Steel - with Italian and Japanese Additions.

Just added the finishing touches to my (Torker made) 1983 Haro Freestyler.

Campagnolo Record Hubs, with Araya 7x hoops and Tioga Mitsuboshi Comp ST Tires.

All original finish and decals on everything (Frame, Fork, Bars, 83 DB post, Araya Rims, 3rd Gen Profile Cranks etc.)

It's been a 4 year work in progress, I think I'm finally done.

:)

haro_freestyler_2010a.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010b.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010c.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010d.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010e.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010f.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010g.jpg

haro_freestyler_2010h.jpg

Very, very nice. Congrats on the completion. :ThumbsUp:

that's a beauty

Yeah- I got the main components of the bike a while ago - entered it in Brian P's (os-bmx) Spare Parts build back in 07-08? with some random parts and have eventually been collecting the right stuff to build my vision (the bike as it sits now). Big Thanks to Charlie (Brown) for building up my wheels for me, they're perfect..... and to Cail (five) for the tires - those last updates really made this one sing for me.

sweet matt.....

ill keep an eye out for yellow labeled "stadiums" for you.... that would be the finish! love the wheelset

sweet matt.....

ill keep an eye out for yellow labeled "stadiums" for you.... that would be the finish! love the wheelset

Thanks Bri.

You're right! Yellow Labeled Stadiums would be the Absolute Perfect tire for this bike.

Thanks! :) :)

Matt this is the only Freestyle bike I would ever want. You have done this one so nicely!!!!! Beautiful bike and build. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Thanks for the props on the wheels, Chrome Dome! All I did was put together your vision. As usual, I'm super stoked to be apart of any bike you assemble. You've got the best taste in parts and color combos, buddy. I can totally picture this bike being propped up outside of your front door for these pictures! ;) This bike is bonkers. I'm impressed, but not surprised.

hmmmmmmmm i cant stop looking at this.

maybe remove the potts mod?

Congrats Matt! Looks amazing... very nice to see an 83 without black mags on it.

Beautiful!

Matt, love the hubs and the bike in general. Interested to know why the Campy hubs as I haven't seen them on many, if any, other freestyle bikes. Is this build based on a back in the day bike?

Think I agree with Brian about removing the potts mod too.

Matt, love the hubs and the bike in general. Interested to know why the Campy hubs as I haven't seen them on many, if any, other freestyle bikes. Is this build based on a back in the day bike?

Think I agree with Brian about removing the potts mod too.

Thanks James, :)

I think I used the Campys for a few reasons, Main reason being that while almost every 83 freestyler you see built mimics Bob Haro's personal bike (Campy hubbed Graphite Skyway Tuffs). I wanted to keep the guts of the wheels Camppagnolo, Definitely didn't want to build another haro with Black mags.

My vision all along was definitely to use a Spoked wheel set. And I just always loved the look of the different Campy hubs on early (race) BMX bikes [i used Tipo's on another bike and really dig 'em]. I know a lot of these parts crossed over for freestyle too. This particular wheel set really keeps the bike smooth and light, and the brakes work great on the chrome rims. (In my head) the only other choice for hubs for this build would have been High Flanged DK Hubs - But I can't seem to track down a front hub - and I really wanted to put this thing back together.

I hear ya on the potts too. I may consider switching it eventually. I know the mod didn't come out until the year later, but it's still sitting okay in my brain. ;)

Thanks again for the props guys :)

SWEETNESS !

Awesome bike Matt. Out of all the interesting parts on that I keep coming to the seat post. How did you decide to use a DB lay-back and where did you find that one? Very cool sweep to it (very DB too).

Awesome bike Matt. Out of all the interesting parts on that I keep coming to the seat post. How did you decide to use a DB lay-back and where did you find that one? Very cool sweep to it (very DB too).

That 83 DB seatpost came with the bike complete when I got it.

It was a total ridden survivor with all basically era-correct parts, As if someone had built the bike in '83 - stopped riding the bike in about 84-85 and just left it in a garage. it had that very DB seatpost (which has a great bend, great chrome, and a cool sparkly DB sticker), So I thought I'd leave it with the bike.

freestyler_detail.jpg

The bike also came with those same 3rd Gen Profile cranks (which I have never removed from the bike at all). It came with OG Bullseye Hubs and a Suntour Headset Lock (which are both now on my 83 Skyway TA).... as well as a DK Square corner neck, CW Pro Bars (which went to Forman), thrashed Oakley B1Bs, Shimano Brake lever, Red MX 1000s, Tuffneck seat clamp, faded gold Shimano DXs, silver Araya 7xs which were pretty wavy, and some beat up Tioga Comp 3s. etc. They guy I bought the bike from also got these Vector bars with it from the original owner.

HaroFreestyler02.jpg

found 2 more pics from the same session.

Grip/Lever detail and Rear Campy detail.

haro_freestyler_grip_detail.jpg

haro_freestyler_rear_campy.jpg