Sign in to follow this  
spike

Cheng Shin 1.75 tire

SSCN1467.JPG

SSCN1470.JPG

SSCN1471.JPG

SSCN1473.JPG

I've never seen another one so I was wondering if this was a rare tire or common. The tread is almost the same as the 2.125 tire. Just curious.

Ken Pliska had a pile of them a few years back. I bought a few and just passed one on to Evan Atherton for his dad's tribute bike. It does seem like you run into a dozen 2.215's before you find a 1.75 though.

I bought a new one last january for $15. I can get plenty of 2.125s but the 1.75 is harder to find.

ya know spike . i just got two of these . and wondered the same thing . it is weird . they have the same tread as the 2.125 . and are different then the tons of other 1.75s i have . even though they have the same model # c-183 ...

hope all is good man ...

Didn't you go on a big hunt and find a batch of these a year so ago? Those look like the basic 1.75 Cheng Shin to me. Not plentiful but not rare. What I like about them is they will fit a 2.125 rim. And if If I recall it says something to that effect somewhere on the sidewall.

here is the difference in the tread . the top is the one in question . the bottom is the one usually found . and both fit a 2.125 rim .

PDRM0260.JPG

Yeah I went on a tire frenzy and bought all the 1.75 C183 tires I could find but this one has a different tread. Guess it ain't as rare as I though.

I always thought that the ones with the ridges on the side knobs are older like on the original picture. The older 2.125s also have a small crosshatch "cut" on the knobs too.

First time I've seen a 1.75 with the cuts in the tread Rick mentioned. Spike would you mind posting the numbers off of that? Like to get the number to the left of the size details 47-406 or similar and the usual C-183-(various). Also it would be cool to get the 4 or 5 digit small, sometimes hard to read code that is stamped into the sidewall.

Cool tire.

The 1.75 tire I have is with the notch side lug. Is stamped 47-406, C-183-2

The 2.125 I have has the notched side lug. Is stamped 57-406, C-183C-12

The fonts look different between both tires.

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

here is the difference in the tread . the top is the one in question . the bottom is the one usually found . and both fit a 2.125 rim .

Oh yea. total brain fart on my part. now that I think of it I have some 16x2.125 that have the same grooving in my tire stash.

Is the four digit code 16xx on the 1.75?

Is the four digit code 16xx on the 1.75?

It's 1655

What is that a code for?

Don't know what the number means exactly but some C-183's don't have it which I believe could mean they are older tires. 1.75's typically are in the 1600's and I have a 13xx, the last two numbers being illegible. I also have one with 09902. Going only with what I have on hand 2.125's seem to be in the 2000's though I have one tire that has N170 out of nowhere.

The one pattern I've found with relation to these codes on 1.75's is the font size. Using the 47-406 for example, the large font is 6mm tall and the small font is 4mm. It doesn't sound like a big difference but it means the smaller font is about two thirds the size of the larger font. All tires I have without the code or are 16xx or lower have the small font and anything higher - and all 2.125's - have the large font. My tire with 09902 has the larger font which helps the theory that the smaller font means the tire was produced at an earlier date.

If you have a caliper it would be interesting to know if the "4" of the 47-406 on your tire with the notched tread is 4mm tall.

All C-183's should also have codes on the inside of the tire as well but that's a project for another day. Or year.

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but I am researching old 1981-era cheng shin tires for a build and this thread is a fantastic discovery for me. I am looking for this cheng shin tire pattern with the two lines/cuts/ridges above the semi-circle knotch on the innermost knobs. Three questions: 1) Were the "two-ridge" tires in this tread pattern made in both 1.75 and 2.125?, 2)If only made in 1.75 (but can fit a 2.125) as imprinted on the tire, did the 1.75 appear fatter and more like a 2.125 anyway?, and 3) Where/who may be my best sources for these now? Many thanks for any help.