Sign in to follow this  
wagonguy

Ames Stormer

Mr UPS man is my friend today :rawks:

Now the search begins for the parts to recreate it!

Doug

IMG_3933.JPG

I have always thought these were awesome! What is the relation to GT if any? It looks just like the original Gary Turner frames.

Yes, these were Gary Turner bikes. From what I have found, they were sold at the same time as Ames Stormers, and Pedals Ready GT's. Precursors to GT's.

Doug

I have the ad for the original Ronnie Ames Replica complete if you want a component list.

I'd love it! I'm collecting all the literature on this that I can. I already know what parts I need, the previous owner gave me pictures of the original parts that he sold when he parted it out :teary:

Thanks Benny!

Doug

From the 2 page CYC ad in the October 1980 issue of BMXA:

The Ames Stormer

Forks- Tange TX-500

Cranks- Shimano 600 w/ allen quick release crank bolts

BB- ?

Pedals- Hare

Seat- Kashimax MX

Seat Post- Aluminum(no brand name and non-fluted)

Seat Post Clamp- Cooks Brothers(could be a copy)

Brake set- Shimano Tourney

Stem- option of cromo double clamp(looks like mongoose) or Suntour(?) aluminum.

Bars- Aluminum(no brand name specified)

Grips- Oakley 1

Tires- Comp II 2.125 front 1.75 rear

Rims- Araya 7C

Spokes- Straight gauge chrome or stainless

Nipples- Chrome

Hubs- Shimano: High Flange front, Low flange rear w/ Shimano free-hub set up. Early cassette type.

Chain- unknown

That's about it. This appears to be an expert build. Not junior, mini or pro. Your fork is very cool but was not offered on this model. Perhaps your frameset is a whole different one from what is shown here but it looks just like it. Hope this helped. Later.

This fork is OG to the frame. It is a TX-500, just a different generation. That parts list is pretty close to what was on the bike originally, with the exception of the stem, which was a Pat. Pending Tuf Neck. It had Shimano 600 cranks, but I think the BB in it is a Suntour. Have to check again when I get home from work. Thanks Benny!

Doug

My pleasure, Doug. I seem to remember a different ad that was a bit later that had the Tuff Neck stock. Maybe a later generation of the Stormer. Wneh I was just barely getting into BMX i used to stare at the Ames Stormer ads and just drool. My bike was cool but that Ames looked so high tech compared to mine. Possibly one of my early taste makers. Can't wait to see progress.

Sooooooo jealous. I've been looking for and trying to get one of those for five years. Hoped to get one in 2011. Big congrats. Always loved those old ads and loved the look of that bike. Tiny things, but so cool.

Nice one, Doug. Looking forward to seeing how you handle this.

Great catch, Doug! Looking forward to the complete. Definitely something I'd like to pick up myself. I haven't seen a collector build one of these up in years.

I raced one in 1980' They're really cool.

The big mess aka whole deal with the relationship between the CYC Ames, and the original Gary Turner frames (what GT was first called.. yes, they were called Gary Turner's. Pedals Ready was a bike shop.. sort of) is something Dennis Dain or Adam Cox (JMC Ace) have covered before. One of them might drop in and drop some knowledge on the subject.

Edited by Larock

I was just scrolling through the Museum for Ames Stormers moments ago and was bummed that there weren't any in there. Funny that this thread should be here right after that.

I spent many hours drooling over the Ames ads in BMXA. They definitely define my era of bmx. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm guessing the toughest parts to find will be the seatclamp and the Comp II's.

JP :)

Edited by jipster43

Actually, there is an Ames Stormer on the museum. It is listed under GT as a "Pre-GT".

I'm reading some conflicting things on the seatclamp, and would appreciate some knowledge if anyone can provide it. I read on the CYC site, from a comment on a picture, that these didn't have actual CBR seatclamps, but they were just double clamp stem clamps. The seat tube O.D. is 7/8", so it would make sense. Anybody know definitively?

Doug

Wow, great frame set!

Looking forward to you working your magic Doug

Daiquiris anyone?

Race ya....

Very cool! You'll win, though. I'm not going to find everything I need for this one very quickly. I'm working on buying back some of the original parts that were sold off of it. Cool to see more of these showing up!

I also noticed that yours has a taller seat tube than mine. Looks like yours is an earlier frame. Cool!

Doug

There will be an epic battle for ownership the next time one shows up on ebay.

Count me in!

Damn.

• Like 1

The first piece arrived today! It is the same color and model as the one that was on the bike when it was parted out. Looking at the marks on the handlebars, it looks like this bike may have originally come with a double clamp and was later upgraded with the Tuf Neck. I also tracked down and bought back the brakes and cranks that were on the bike originally, and they are coming in the mail. I'll post updated pics as I add parts.

Doug

IMG_4029a.jpg

IMG_4030a.jpg

I don't know too much about the history of the bike. The person I got it from parted it out, and the parts look original from BITD. Everything was pretty faded. With the exception of the stem, every other part matched the 2-page magazine ad, though.

Doug