Sign in to follow this  
wagonguy

Ames Stormer

Yeah, the tires are going to be tough for sure. Seatclamp too, if it is indeed a CBR. The seat tube is 7/8" OD.

Doug

Next pieces arrived today. The cranks and brakes are from this bike originally. It's getting there!

IMG_4046a.jpg

There is one of these for sale over on the V right now for those who expressed they wanted one upthread. Pretty pricey, though.

Doug

I believe mine is an '80 based on the parts package it had. Similar parts to the one for sale, but different decals.

Doug

Another piece of the puzzle showed up yesterday. Got these in a lot on ebay. Gonna take a break from this one for a bit due to another bike I just bought (still waiting for it to arrive). It's even rarer than this one, but that is for another thread.....

Doug

IMG_4077a.jpg

IMG_4078a.jpg

• Like 1

I was talking to Ben Jerry today and his magazine replica was parted out a number of years back. At the time I remember he made a seat post clamp to match the one in the ad as we didn't think it was a CBR. We had also just loaded up on some CBR stuff at a local shop and certainly could have gone that way but wanted to be as close as possible to the ad. The seat post clamp ended up on my green G-Boy and then disappeared with the bike. I forgot to ask if he still has a picture of the bike it was pretty darn cool.

There will be an epic battle for ownership the next time one shows up on ebay.

Count me in!

Damn.

My Ames Stormer was sold complete and then parted out. Dave Cononetz? You can still see it on the Vintage BMX website in the museum under 1980 CYC Ames Stormer. I built as close to the 2 page BMXA ad as possible. I had to make a seatpost clamp. The seat mast had a really small diameter - even smaller than Schwinn (13/16") I had to turn the seatpost down a little to get it to fit. I was going through the museum - I had some nice bikes. I built that bike out of mostly NOS parts and sold it for around $300. The decals and dropouts were perfect. The frame surfaces once in a while for sale.

The next piece of the puzzle arrived yesterday. Coming together slowly but surely. I thought I bought the correct seatclamp, but it turned out to be 1". Bummer. The search continues.

Doug

IMG_4165a.jpg

IMG_4166a.jpg

take a pic of the seat clamp . i will see what i have for ya ... and thanks for updating us ! i love this thread .

I already mailed the seatclamp back for a refund, but it was an early 2pc. Powerlite. Nobody really knows what seatclamp this actually takes, just a pic in a magazine ad. It looks kinda like a CBR, but not as square, and is only 7/8" I.D. I borrowed the picture from Eric's CYC site http://cycbmx.wordpress.com/category/ames-stormer/

It is the one on the right.

Doug

seatpostdiagram.jpg

• Like 1

Nice build. The red parts will look great on it like in that add. my ames is ready to ride. I might redo it in red parts like you are someday. I'll definitely check in every so often and watch yours come together.

if anyone has or can get stickers, count me in. I could use four sets. Ames, mild steel stormer with gusset, gussetless stormer, and that twin top tube R and R frame CYC sold. The Ames rides great nice and roomy, considering its a small frame. I liked the Ames ride so much I almost bought a full size GT frame.

Most of my Ames bike parts came from a blue (streak?) diamond back. Except the clamp, that came with the frame. Someone on this site sold me the frame.

Hmmm...Almost looks like a mini dk clamp. Thank you for the pics!

Doug

Aaaahhh.... The sweet smell of success. Got the correct 7C's with Shimano cassette hubs in the mail today, the front Comp II last week, and the rear Comp II a month or so ago. The bike is starting to come alive! Anybody has any decent used Oakley 1's in red, hit me up!

Doug

IMG_4266a.jpg

IMG_4267a.jpg

IMG_4268a.jpg

Looking good!! Those pedals look slippery, are they?

Probably. This thing is wayyyy too small to ride though, so I don't think I'll find out!

Another piece of the puzzle showed up yesterday. Got these in a lot on ebay. Gonna take a break from this one for a bit due to another bike I just bought (still waiting for it to arrive). It's even rarer than this one, but that is for another thread.....

Doug

I am curious where the serial number are placed on this ames?