Sign in to follow this  
fasteddy001

Diamondback Formula 1 survivor questions

A few years ago I came across an all original DB Formula 1 at the dump. It appears to me that absolutely nothing had been changed or replaced on it from its original purchase state, although it was in far from showroom condition with ripped comp 3's, very rust chain and rusty spokes. I polished it up lightly, replaced the wheels with tuffs I had (but kept them in basement in case they are valuable- 1.5 chrome Arayas or ukais with "sealed" hub ), replaced grips, chain and brake cable and gave it to my 9 year daughter to ride. I also took off the Suntour beartrap pedals (still with reflectors attached) as I remembered they could really bite into your shin and didn't want her to have that fate. She's now 13 and doesn't ride it, so was looking to possibly put it up for sale. There appear to be some decent parts on it including the sugino 3 piece crank, weird 3 bolt stem, chrome DB bars, goldish shimano brake with tech 3 lever. It might be possible to fix up the wheels, the spokes are pretty rusty and rims need a good cleaning but the hubs seem fine. The chrome frame has no washer marks (guessing the previous owner never worked on his bike) and all or most of the frame stickers. The fork stickers were totally shredded, so I peeled off the tatters when I cleaned them.

So here is my question- Would it fetch more selling complete or part out? I'll post up pictures if that helps or I get any response.

First, FYI asking about value or value comparisons is frowned upon here.

Second, I would say from a purely nostalgic point of view that keeping it original and cleaning her up with a complete overhaul and tune-up would be the best route.

Let's see some pics!!!

Dont EVER part out an original survivor. Did I mention EVER?

Ha ha point well taken on the survivors- hopefully post up pics soon. Lookin over the bike it has some neat features I don't recall on many other bmx bikes- like the dia-compe metal brake cable holders and the all metal (not plastic) crank end caps which say "Diamond Back turbo" oddly enough

I am interested in the Araya rims, Suzue hubs with suntour flywheel or full wheel set. Please let me know if still available. Thank you 

13 hours ago, bmx_bob said:

I am interested in the Araya rims, Suzue hubs with suntour flywheel or full wheel set. Please let me know if still available. Thank you 

10 yrs later.......you never know! Especially from a guy named fasteddy lol