Sign in to follow this  
boxline69

Repro Tecmatic

This thread is pointless without a solid Capt. Nemo blast! :lol:

(I meant that to be funny Karl...honest)

I wonder how Redline/SBS would feel about these?

Yeah, I could use a Nap.... Yawn.gif

Thought someone was already re-pooping Son-lites?

Regarding the repop parts section -- I'd say just have a stickie thread with screen shots and info on repop crap. No need to go putting in the real stuff for comparison. We don't want to give out lessons. At least people could have a resource to know exactly what to look out for. It's not just Malaysian PK Rippers, Johnny Chopper Cranks, and JDB Pedals any more...

I agree. That would be a nice compromise. It would allow collectors and buyers to educate themselves without offering an easy "how to be a better repopper" tutorial. The unfortunate fact is the list of potential fake items has grown dramatically over the years. It's almost impossible to keep track of all of it without a little help.

I e mailed to ask if they were genuine Redline products.

The seller answered back they were not, but things he had made.

Pretty tough to tell from the listing.

I messaged him also and he said this:

I am currently in the process of acquiring the rights to the "tecmatic" name. My trademark and patent attorney has advised me to use the "tecmatic" name to establish my rights. I have already paid a fee to the USPTO United States Patent and Trademark office for the application. I have never stated that these bottom brackets are original tecmatics, and none of the parts are interchangeable. The only similarity is the look, high quality, and the fact they are made in the USA. My attorneys name and contact information for those who wish it is;

Law Office Of Mark Wisnosky

3200 Fourth Ave. Suite 203

San Diego, California

858-663-7794

I dont know if this is posted somewhere else, but it's the first I have seen. A guy on the bay is selling the hell out of these.The first sells have 2011 in the specs.Now that has been dropped hmm. delete if you have too for the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sealed-Bearing-Bottom-Bracket-For-Redline-Flight-Cranks_W0QQitemZ260729176567QQcategoryZ160917QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6826209132170768628#ht_500wt_947

Here a pic of a real Tecmatic BB, the bearings are way different:

IMG_3522.JPG

(I meant that to be funny Karl...honest)

:lol:

People are bootlegging bottom brackets, now?

I'm surprised people give a shit one way or the other. :rolleyes:

I mean, if you are gonna buy a "fake" BB, just open up a Dan's Comp catalog and buy a new one if owning something OG means so little to you.

Just buy the decals and be done with it!

IT'S A BOTTOM BRACKET!

:ROTFLMAO:

:Liv2ride:

Karl, I know you have a bunch of bikes, but obviously "collecting" is a very different type of endeavor for you than it is for many. I kind of feel like you are interested in "brand" where frame and fork are concerned (everything else is just a part?) and "color combination" more than any of the more subtle details when composing a bike. A tecmatic bottom bracket can at times be like icing on the cake for a lot of people assembling the drive train that reflects a certain period or degree of trickness that they are after. The fact that it's "just a bottom bracket" to you, makes clear that your motives and enjoyment from "all this" comes in different ways. That is fine, but try to understand the other side. You are indifferent to those kinds of details, reproductions don't effect your ability to enjoy the hobby in the way that you do. For others who are concerned about the details of parts the fact that somebody is selling something with redline decals that is meant to pose as a tecmatic does effect their ability to enjoy the hobby in a way that's free of deception and even potentially making purchases for something that is other than what they thought it was.

The old "you have to know what you are collecting" reasoning is kind of lame because now reproductions of every type of component and decal and pad set, etc. etc. are so prolific, that you'd have to be an authority on the subtle details of almost every part on the bike. The old "my reproduction has four subtle and nearly undetectable details distinguishing it; and since if you are collecting you should know this, I'm not going to simply put a clear and indelible mark on it" argument has never been a thinner veil for base profiteering through copying the designs of others.

There is only one reason reproductionists don't clearly mark products. They want them to be able to pass for the original. They may even clearly state that it's a reproduction at the point of sale... but after that, when the item goes out into the world, the ambiguity regarding whether it's a new knock off or an original item from an older era is by design.

...if you are gonna buy a "fake" BB, just open up a Dan's Comp catalog and buy a new one if owning something OG means so little to you.

This has been my question for years, Karl. For EVERY part that is copied. Why buy copied, look-alike stuff when there are tons of new school options.

Why support fake shit?

...if you are gonna buy a "fake" BB, just open up a Dan's Comp catalog and buy a new one if owning something OG means so little to you.

This has been my question for years, Karl. For EVERY part that is copied. Why buy copied, look-alike stuff when there are tons of new school options.

Why support fake shit?

Just for the record, I've never supported "fake" shit.

At least from my point of view.

Steve, I get and totally support collectors wanting OG stuff. Whether it's a BB or a handlebar. And I also understand why. If I were building a bike and wanted it to be exactly like I had BITD, I wouldn't use repro stuff. Legitimate or otherwise.

I was just commenting on the fact that now it's BB's being bootlegged. What's next, innertubes?

I think most people here know what bugs me about this shit.

It ain't about "faking the funk" and all that BS, it's about being true. It's like putting on a fake tattoo or lying to your wife.

It's mis-representation. Plain and simple.

Some here might think its a bigger blanket than I use, but I do have a line.

This topic being the most common one on this site is what bothers me. Its obvious where most of us stand, and to have to go over this over and over everytime theres a new repop item is getting old. Its too bad there isn`t 3 pages posted about things that can make the site better and more interesting. People post a bike, or ask a question, and they are lucky to see a page of responses.... hell half a page. Yet the repop thing comes up over and over, and each thread gets multiple pages, thats sad.

I know what you mean Trevor, but I want to know what not to pull the trigger on if one pops up for a "deal". It sux bad to have to stay on top of everything that hits the market in disguised form. And it has always bothered me that some basic bmx threads just flounder like a wounded duck here for days.

I get where you're coming from Trevor. It is a shame that other threads don't get this much attention. That said though, I enjoy the debate. I think it's important that the debate is renewed every time someone else brings out another repopped part.

Now, I realize I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and I think the guys debating the other side (at least those that do it intelligently) understand this as well. But there are people who peruse the BMX sites that don't actively participate in the forums. Whether they're new to the hobby or people who just keep their bikes and love of the hobby to themselves, there are guys that may be on the fence about this kind of thing. Hopefully, they can gain a little perspective in one way or another about repop, or original finish, or whatever it is that is actively being discussed. Shoot, my own perspective changes slightly each time these topics come up (for the good I think). At the very least someone is tipped off that there's something to watch out for if they're shopping for a particular item.

Would I like to see some other, more fun stuff here? Absolutely. I know I need to help make that happen. We all need to chip in to make that happen. Bitchin' about what threads you don't want to see isn't making that happen just as much as me or anyone else participating in this thread isn't making that happen.

I understand there are plenty of guys that get tired of seeing these threads come up. Should these types of threads go away? I certainly don't think so.

ok when i get home i will post pics of my bikes again...same old bikes....i did get my blue max finished and waiting on a few things for my father / daughter build redlines that not many commented on...i have always felt that away about our site...drama baby...regular bike posts just dont get that much action...

While I would rather see more bikes and history I have no problems with threads like this. They are totally necessary and healthy as our goal is to preserve the true history of our BMX culture and protect our membership from fakes. Obviously it is a sore subject with the members here or there wouldn't be so many posts. I would rather have a site that cares more about keeping it pure than a site that has multiple posts about what color should I run with my brass plated loop quad.

These posts are generally quite informative and necessary, keep them coming. I am proud that more people are looking out for these POS fakes and keeping us informed. I had no idea about these. I love this place.

While I would rather see more bikes and history I have no problems with threads like this. They are totally necessary and healthy as our goal is preserve the true history of our BMX culture and protect our membership from fakes. Obviously it is a sore subject with the members here or there wouldn't be so many posts. I would rather have a site that cares more about keeping it pure than a site that has multiple posts about what color should I run with my brass plated loop quad.

These posts are generally quite informative and necessary, keep them coming. I am proud that more people are looking out for these POS fakes and keeping us informed. I had no idea about these. I love this place.

i do agree jake,iwas not disagreeing with the fact that these posts are needed to keep it real.i also agree that these threads do get alot of action compared to the other posts.i read them and post so i guess i should just be quiet.

what color pads should i use on my orange patterson???