Sign in to follow this  
Tazturtle

Made in the USA - Early Diamond Back

I tip my hat Kurt.....your passion comes through!

Never saw that article before... or just skimmed right over it. Some really good stuff there. That's one of the many reasons I dig this site.

I must have missed this, good stuff! I'd like to find one those f&f sets. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

GREAT post, thank you for the hard work you put into this !!!!! it's people like you and the love of this hobby that set SOCIETY as the authority of the vintage bmx world !!!!

• Like 1

I currently own four ‘77 MX’s one of them being a complete survivor I picked up from the original owner. Very low serial also. Plus I have one ‘78 as well. Would love to know what serial numbers are out there.

• Like 1

I currently own four ‘77 MX’s one of them being a complete survivor I picked up from the original owner. Very low serial also. Plus I have one ‘78 as well. Would love to know what serial numbers are out there.

Post some pics when you get a chance, Mike. 

• Like 1

Post some pics when you get a chance, Mike. 

For sure, thanks S. Brothers  I'm new here so as soon as I find out how to add photos to this I will lol   

White Survivor #032

Black   MX       #066

Brown  MX       #116

Blue     MX       #645  

Original MX Survivor

I was finally able to purchased this bike from a friend and private collector who acquired it from the original owner years ago. The original owner went down to a bike shop in Chatsworth, CA with his cousin and father to buy a bike. So, along with some advice from the shop’s owner they picked every part on this bike....yes even chose the Redline forks over the double dropout MXs in fear they would break. The two cousins rode everywhere on this bike for years until the owner of the bike joined the military. Before he went away he gave his cousin the bike because he knew what it meant to him and there it sat in a garage in Chatsworth a few blocks away from the bike shop it was originally purchased from.....and if that wasn’t crazy enough this MX is numbered #032. I’m honored to own this piece of bmx history

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

Edited by comedianmike
  • Like 2

Dang... good stuff.  We used to have some good discussions when Sandy Finkelman, the team manager for Diamond Back at its peak, was around.  He passed over 10 years ago now.  A lot of the off site photo hosting in some of those threads went bad unfortunately. However, sometimes pics are still there or you can piece together info from context. 

• Like 1

The white MX is spectacular.

Edited by larsvegas43
  • Like 1

Dang... good stuff.  We used to have some good discussions when Sandy Finkelman, the team manager for Diamond Back at its peak, was around.  He passed over 10 years ago now.  A lot of the off site photo hosting in some of those threads went bad unfortunately. However, sometimes pics are still there or you can piece together info from context. 

Man, I wish I could of been on some of those. I've only been collecting for about a year. I find myself focused on the 70's even though I rode in the 80's. I'm just all about the history of bmx and when I found out about these MX frame sets I was ALL IN!!! This thread is by far the best info I've come across out there. I often talk to a person who currently own MX #003 in original black. I just want to lear all I can about these. I love this group...

The white MX is spectacular.

Thank you!!! It feels good to be able to help preserve some of the bmx history 

. found this ad while looking for other stuff, thought it may be of interest.

DIAMONDBACKbmxdb1977ad.jpg

• Like 2

Nice thanks!! I’m trying to gather all the ads and info I can about these early Diamond Back f/f. I just picked up another ‘77 MX frame very low serial #015. Picked it off the original owner. It belonged to his dad and was handed down to his son from who I picked it up from. The forks have me very curious. I’ve never seen anything like them and they are original to the frame. I’m thinking might be a prototype being how it has a very low serial.

78719C22-71B1-4122-95A3-09CE7F8E26F7.jpeg

5C3E172D-E039-4566-BDAA-0C46186D4D72.jpeg

7323D968-D749-462F-AC8B-9036B321E5BF.jpeg

2A0D5AA9-97E2-4D75-B8B1-6A2AFDC644CD.jpeg

ABCEBC71-B915-4F0B-BAA3-C73E7A465BA1.jpeg

Edited by comedianmike