Sign in to follow this  
Freshour

grips how to keep the survivors questions

I have my original racing bike from 1983 and I'm going to clean it up and try to give it a shine again. The grips have become dis colored looking and have black looking mold on the flanges.

Whats good to use to clean the grips with thats not too harsh?

Also the side walls on the tires are showing some dry rot, not to bad yet. Is there anything to use to get them softer/pliable and more preserved???

a little gizz, and then a light polish with some whale oil will do the trick , have them like new . :nah.I.mean:

Nevermind the jizzmopper above. I have used grease lightning and an old toothbrush under warm water to get them like new again

Nevermind the jizzmopper above. I have used grease lightning and an old toothbrush under warm water to get them like new again

thank you, will try that

ignore the gizzhead above post....If he relly wanted to help you he would have asked

a) what type of grips are you wanting to preserve?

as one may be able to find a new set for very little $$, or just clean them with a de greasing product and spray with a silicone based spray.

b) regarding the dry rot, depending on the damage one has too decide whether it is worth cutting out the worst of the rot and anding a new wall, hopefully preserving the thread .... this is of course worse case scenario