Sign in to follow this  
dubplatestyle

SRP Staley Racing Products

I finally got some "new" issues of Super BMX and Bicycles & Dirt to page through, so i thought i would share this brief article on SRP, definitely one of the more obscure "titanium" frame builders of the day.

(SuperBMX May '84)

SRP_mini018.jpg

Too bad, they didn't quite find the success as say Titan, because i personally would've liked to see those titanium cranks mentioned in their "upcoming" products.

SRP_mini016.jpg

SRP_mini017.jpg

those are sweet but never seen any of their products

srp turned into phase 11

Thanks for the information, i wasn't aware of that. I have to say though, It's a shame they didn't carry over some of SRP's design cues, because Phase II had some of the ugliest "drop-outs"!

I could be completely wrong, but didnt SRP then start making Titanium bolts or parts for MTB's in the early nineties ?

Hey Jeff, SRP dropouts are definitely "prettier" but I do still like the Phase 2 bikes. I admit I hated it at the first but the shape has kind of grown on me.

There are definitely way more "phase 2" frames around. Not only bikes with the decals, but also those style dropouts.

Weirdly enough, I've seen some Phase 2s without the brace. People claim these to be SRP, but that doesn't seem right... Maybe it's a prototype or a special request for someone?

I could be completely wrong, but didnt SRP then start making Titanium bolts or parts for MTB's in the early nineties ?

I believe that was a different SRP.

Here's some stuff I found around the web regarding SRP:

"i think the company that went out of bus. was called srp (staley racing products) his kids name was jay  but i do remember his father putting the kid in the rental car for not winning all of his motos @ a co. nat back in 84 or 85 the dad was a real a hol"

Here's one of the few 20" I could find

sr8-8023.jpg

"My friend Pete A.  Gave me the original   SRP frame. and some stickers.. He said it was 1 of the 1st.. It belonged 2 one of there Riders but he fell on bad terms with SRP so they took the F/F back and ended up giving it to Pete , who also rode for SRP and Phase II... Its been in his garage 4-ever ..."

And an ad from none other than... Jeff himself!

SRP '86 Ad.jpg

More info:

"Sean Sorry I have not responded, busy week.

I do not have any good repros of the phase II stickers, and I do not know of anyone who makes them, sorry about that.  The original stickers were not that great in the first place, LOL.

As far as the history of them, BMX Museum has a lot of the history, which is not much.  It was only around for about seven years or so.

The forks are phase II forks, I think the whole bike was made by the guys who made CW so all of it looks like a CW with just the braces at the BB.  At least for the pro size stuff, the titanium minis had different dropout and only one brace on most of them.  

Qucik story about my days on Phase II, I got picked up the morning of the Christmas Classic in Ohio, Dec 1987.  I went out and won my first moto running the Phase II colors.  Mr. Smith called me up to the hotel room later that day and said I was the first Phase II rider to go out and win his first race in the colors.  I thought it was kind of funny and did not win anymore laps that week.  I got my Phase II twenty inch a few months later at The Montgomery national in February or January, I built it in the parking lot and did OK on it that weekend, but not great.  It was strange to get used to at first, but I eventually loved that frame and fork combo.  

I got my cruiser at the Peachtree City national later in the year.  I was racing a BB cruiser frame and fork and while breaking it down after practice on Friday night I took the front wheel off and the drop out of the BB peeled right off with the wheel.  Rich Carolan was my teammate at the time and he had a cruiser frame and fork with him that he said he did not like so I got that one and built it up.  It is the very same one as the black one on BMX Museum.  I have returned it back to its original white and sort of rebuilt it.  The parts are upgrades that I got in 95 when I got back into racing for a while and updated the P2.

Hopefully that helps some.  

Stuart"

"A lot of the SRP's ended up restickered as Phase II's. I think Phase II bought out alot of the inventory after SRP went out. Here's an SRP my brother was given when he raced for Phase II. The one I have now doesn't have the headtube gusset, so he must have received another at some point."

I guess this explains why we've seen SRPs decaled as Phase 2s.

One more comment from vintage:

"Staley Racing Products out of Castleberry, Florida I believe..... 

Later known as Phase II and owned by Ernie Smith, father of JR Smith from Peachtree Ciry, Georgia. I have seen him (JR) post on here in the past. Good titanium frames and a good factory team as well. Won the 1986 World Team Championship in Orlando. 

It has been quite a long time so forgive me if some of these few details are slightly incorrect."

I just realized this ad doesn't have the chromoly 24".