Sign in to follow this  
greyboy

BOTTEMA Forks

Hey everyone!

Im very happy to announce that i will be teaming up with BMX legend Jeff Bottema to produce a fully authorized, american made, re-issue of his famous M-1 'bullet fork' (the large dropout style)

They will be exact replicas, 1 1/8" threadless, handmade in so cal, full 4130 chromoly tubing. 16", 20", 24", & 26" sizes.

The first 20 sets of forks will be finished and available for sale at the June 4th BMX Society OS gathering, then online at www.bottemaforks.com

FB users can add us here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bottema-Forks/176928745687948

The exact price hasnt been set as of yet, but i dont like it when people post things like this with no price at all, so i can tell you that they will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 200.00. As soon as the exact price is figured out, i will let you guys know.

I will keep this thread posted with progress and pics of the first sample when its done in a few weeks. :Liv2ride:

BOTTEMAsuperiorAD.jpg

Meh.. Good for someone I guess.

and I know you have done much more for the hobby then I will ever acheive.

I really hope that the main Companies do not get on board with this wonderful trend.. Gt and Haro come to mind.

I said it several years ago.. this is becomming more and more like skateboarding.. this kind of stuff really killed the joy of the hunt. (Once the big companies got involved.. Powell, Santa Cruz, Vision, Skull Skates, Tracker, Zorolac, Alva, Schmidt Stix exc exc.) Left a sour taste in my mouth too. Just makes things "too easy" and kinda lame imho.

We have seen the beginning,, (Ame, SE, Hutch, CW) come to mind..

Wait and see.. If this becomes standard, it is like I dunno, drinking watered down whiskey. Still cool, just does not have the same "bite" as what it once did.

What is really weird is when the repro's take on a life of their own..

Ohh Ohh Look: One year only "blue and Yellow" repro 2008 Mike V Elephant deck selling for twice the price a year later? lol I truly dont get that part of it..

Edited by bmx bandit

Unfuckinbelieveable... Why? actually nevermind.. at least it's Jeff's og company I guess.

mmmm Like above, At least it's Jeff.

Are these going to available in raw finish?

I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of stripping them before I fill in the sn's and re sell them as OG.

As a collector myself im very sensitive to the 'repop' issues in the hobby, even with authorized reproductions, and so each pair of forks will be marked on the inside face of each dropout with a letter and number serial designation before plating.

Sensitive enough to mention it, just not sensitive enough to not try and make a buck off of it.

Please explain how this is better than the GHP offering that was so roundly blasted here a few months ago.

Only my opinion, but unless they are 1 1/8" threadless for that 'retro look'. then they are just another set of repoped forks (with or without Jeff's input).

I think that Retro is cool, but I'm not on it with these, sorry and I'm sure that you've put a lot of effort into getting these made.

On a more positive note: I could really see them flying off the shelves if they were say 20, 24 & 26" 1 1/8" that fitted the se line up, kappa's etc. and maybe featured screw in lugs for V brakes.

would have been more excited if they were a head :Idunno:

I haven't seen the forks to pass judgement. But why not put the stamps on the outside of the drop-out so people can see they are re-issues immediately. What harm is there in that? If you're not worried about your rig running poser forks why hide the fact, especially if it is on a retro bike. Unless the intent is to fool people when using them on OG frames.

While I am glad you are making the effort to mark these, I don't see how you of all people would want these to exist any any form other than 1-1/8 threadless. These are such an iconic fork, some things are sacred and should just be left alone. Of course, IMO, all should be left alone.

I read this yesterday afternoon. I was chatting with another member at the time it hit. I think we both had the same reaction (or are still having the same reaction)...

Dumbfounded.

Why not retro Andreas?

Hypocrite

haha...DAYUM!! tell me how you really feel!!!

but seriously, you havent even seen them yet!! :power.of.suggestion: this is a collaboration between myself and JEFF BOTTEMA... AUTHORIZED reprodutions that will be CLEARLY MARKED :nah.I.mean:

cant wait to see you guys on june 4th! ahhahahaha

haha...DAYUM!! tell me how you really feel!!!

but seriously, you havent even seen them yet!! power.of.suggestion.gif this is a collaboration between myself and JEFF BOTTEMA... AUTHORIZED reprodutions that will be CLEARLY MARKED nah.I.mean.gif

cant wait to see you guys on june 4th! ahhahahaha

...and he's even laughing at you now too!

Hypocrite

So true! At least they'll be a hit on the museum :)

Edited by mcam

Im sure Grey isnt surprised by the reaction here or at the museum.

hypocrite??? you dont see me on the repop threads, go check em, sorry to disappoint you. and im not surprised by the reaction, its all good.

you dont have to buy em :ThumbsUp:

its funny how you guys bag on museum when most of the people here are over there too, and not only that, but the best deals on used parts are on museum and the most survivor bikes surface on museum..thats why i go there :writing:

Completely dumbfounded. Guess it really is all about the money.....

I know, I know, Nemo weighing in on another "repro" thread, but this quote intrigued me...

Unless the intent is to fool people when using them on OG frames.

Do people actually do this? I know about underhanded sellers trying to pass off repro as OG, but do "collectors" try and do the same thing?

I mean ride around or show a bike claiming a repro is OG? Or just playing dumb, and not say anything unless asked?

That just seems like a whole other level of pathetic, no?

For the record, I've got ne real use for 1" threaded Bottema's, but bring on the 1 1/8" threadless in all sizes.

I could even see them being a hit with the NS riders. The style is undeniable.

Hmmm.

I mean, cool to see there is interest in these old designs, but is there really a demand for them?

I am not a huge fan of reproduction parts, even if they receive blessings from the creator.

That said, when the hell will someone make an exact replica of Comp II tires?

HUH??????

Nemo, it happens 3 times a year on our BOTY contest alone. At shows, even our own Bellflower event, no one is gonna volunteer refinish or reproductions when the judging crew was out doing their thing. It happened more than one time last year. It's a weird thing what the internet, bike shows, and contest do to folks. We have just have an awesome panel of judges.