Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

The BMX Society Reunion & Show 2011

I go to meet up with my old Darkside buddies, to give money back to Tammy and the Bellflower track by riding (but then again I do that every week!) meet new friends and drag out one my bikes that I first built in '84.

The wife was upset that there wasn't a raffle this year as she likes blowing my money on tickets, but the economy is still bad and companies just can't afford to give out free swag for raffles. But like with all shows, it's a shame that not more people register to help pay towards the running of the event, plus people have no right to complain about judging if they aren't registered in the first place.

Hats off to Tammy and track crew, more people should get back into the sport and keep it alive.

Yes, Thorton, your Elf was extremely cool! Good seeing you on the beach ride and at the show!

Doug

Hats off to Tammy and track crew, more people should get back into the sport and keep it alive.

3_2_10[1].gif

This! Tammy and the Bellflower people are one of the bright spots in what can often be stressful and difficult to the point of not being worth the trouble.

but the economy is still bad and companies just can't afford to give out free swag for raffles. But like with all shows, it's a shame that not more people register to help pay towards the running of the event, plus people have no right to complain about judging if they aren't registered in the first place.

Again you've nailed it... except for the part about companies not being able to afford it... they can. They choose not to however. It's baffling, especially for those that still turn out to the event flying company colors. Couldn't spare a few hundred dollars worth of stuff to help support the day though.

I'm so thankful to Oakley and the Bicycle Source and Impakt. Oakley is freaking amazing. The Bicycle Source and Impakt are so small and give disproportionately.

And like I said on the mic at the event... it's the private guys, those of you who support the event through the registration process that are the most important. I'm so grateful for the support of you guys. I'm very much appreciative of those that have the integrity to voluntarily kick in and help pull their own weight. Even the site staff who work for the event also voluntarily pay. That's incredible. You guys are the best.

I am going to reel it in and kind of leave it at that. But in short, this is why I'm hesitant to fully commit to next year. We've always tried to keep this free and leave support purely voluntary. Unfortunately, this "honor system" mode of doing it is just leaving too much of the burden on me. People generally say that the event gets bigger and better every year. So, it's frustrating that garnering support becomes more difficult each year.

Youd better have it next year! No one even talks about rockford anymore, this is THE show. I dont understand why businesses dont inundate these things with support.... makes no sense to me.

If you show me your plane ticket with next year's date, I'll do it. :)

Id have been there this year if my passport was done. It will be done soon. I already have plans on coming with another guy. I never knew my pardon would take so long, which pushed everything else back. I hope next year all the other guys make it too. If I dont come with that guy i'll bring my girl and do a week there, and see some other friends too while we're there.

That Elf was badass Thorton!!! I have a hell of a time during the weekend but its not the show Im bitchen about...its Jakes stank!!! He gassed me out while I finshed building the Patty Sentry on Friday night.

DSCF0213.jpg

that Sentry is sweet.

It's not financial, but I will commit to helping more with the show next year. Just let me know what I can do Steve.

Doug

If you show me your plane ticket with next year's date, I'll do it. :)

I wish I could set aside a week to come out, but I don't fly and it's about a 2000 mile drive from St. Louis. Not to mention, I would want to take some bikes.

Maybe I need to talk my buddy into driving out to visit his mom the same weekend as the show, it would sure cut down my driving time and gas money.

It's not financial, but I will commit to helping more with the show next year. Just let me know what I can do Steve.

Doug

Doug... you are always one of the first ones to register. Plus you always race... this year what? ABA, Old School and Sidehack? Sheez. I could hardly ask for more from you. You are always all in, and it's appreciated.

Nah, I skipped the ABA race this year. Kaitlyn raced though. I had already planned on not selling again next year and just bringing a couple of bikes to display so I could free up more time. See you next year!

Doug

Thanks for the comments guys about my ELF, I had a blast on the beach ride with it and at the show. It was really great meeting everyone too. Steve you post up next years event I will register today :)

Thanks again Steve and everyone in the crew to put on such a great event!

I was unable to attend the show :( however, I did make it to the beach ride and I met some really good peeps from OS Society who had some awesome rides! I had a great ride and hopefully next year I will be able to attend the entire gig. It's all about the passion we share which is why we're there. Keep those wheels spinning

Edited by CroMag

The DG was chosen without any knowledge of how it was acquired. Each winner got to say a few words into the mic about his bike. We all learned at the same time about them in that very moment.

There's no way in hell we are making a category especially for restored bikes.

It's not as if restored bikes aren't given a chance. The sidehack winner for example was definitely restored.

Some of you cats are pretty fresh back in the scene. Some of our judges NEVER got out of BMX. They are some of the most seasoned people in the entire scene.

On top of this... this site's little event has been going on for many years. We have a pretty good idea of what we are doing and why we are doing it. It's evolved over the years into something that typically honors bikes that represent history, composition, understanding of era subtleties, and last but not least - heart, character and similar qualities. Frankly... we don't care how much money you spent on it or if the frame came from Craigs List, the dump, a barn in Iowa or a long lost bike shop's inventory. This is a bike show, not a survey on the means of acquisition.

This isn't broke. There's nothing to fix. If you guys want little participation ribbons for everybody that takes part, you are welcome to organize your own event and do so. This is for adults who take winning and losing in stride and are more interested in immersing themselves in BMX culture. The show thing is just one facet of the gathering experience.

+ 1, Very clear and rational.

I was hoping to meet the guy responsible for such statements, unfortunately I had to leave early (and that was with a smile) perhaps next year.

Well Done!