Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

BMX & the Arts

Looks like some kind of art to me Steve. I suppose in our label-obsessed society it would fall into the folk art category.

Is "readymade" an actual art term for re-purposing common items as "art"?

Reminds me of a quote from Bono (of U2) from many years ago...he said, "If you don't know what it is, it's art".

Chevron Envy - a guy who knows very little about art.

Yes, Readymade is a term made popular in art by Marcel Duchamp. He's the guy in the first pic in this thread, with the bicycle wheel on the stool. Duchamp was a genius, most of the people who point to him as an influence are just lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readymades_of_Marcel_Duchamp

Wooh, that's pretty cool. I like.

Man, the stuff I learn on this forums - "readymade" is something that I could describe but I had no idea there was a term for it. I also just attributed it as someone being lazy.

Then again, I have NO IDEA about art. My neighbor in the college dorms was named Art however, he was kinda "emo" which I always thought was kinda of coincidental.

Edited by Chevron Envy

Then again, I have NO IDEA about art. My neighbor in the college dorms was named Art however, he was kinda "emo" which I always thought was kinda of coincidental.

:lol: That's pretty funny. I'd think most emo kids are too busy sulking to ever create anything. I always find it interesting, peoples' perception of what a typical artist is like. Too often it seems like the word "artist" and "homosexual" go hand in hand. In reality, artists are as different as any other group of people. Actually, as a group they are probably more different among themselves than any other group. I suppose it makes sense that creative types would come in all shapes and forms. They wouldn't be very creative if they all looked the same and did the same things.

Art is my favorite thing to talk about. Never mind my ramblings, I could talk about this all day. And then all night.

I like, appreciate, and enjoy art. I just don't know anything about it. I mean, hey I could identify an MC Escher drawing but somehow I don't think that qualifies as a discerning art critic.

Sorry, I was casting dispersions with the art student / emo link but I've loved to draw my entire life. I do it now, with the aid of a computer, for my business. My college was a very artsy college (Kutztown University of PA) that was HUGE in "communication design" so I had a lot of friends from school who were in the art program. Some were emo, but most were not.

I'll keep learning.

it's time we considered BMX music here in the arts thread...

StencilsYOUR-INN.jpeg

OK, so I f'd up the mags, lol. Oh well. They had an intersection at the art fair in my town today with a ton of chalk laying out there for anyone to draw with. This was mine. It's maybe around actual size more or less.

259709_220039834683845_100000334899624_770186_3843348_o.jpg

255076_2150819693414_1334011372_32541032_6614843_n.jpg

Mike Buff - Robert Emrich - Bob Haro - R.L. Osborn

BMX photography as art.

Bob Osborn photo courtesy of The Bicycle Source collection.

Buff.RobertEmrich.Haro.RL.bmx.jpg

Here is another version of the bike tower that Sodbuster posted a long time ago!

26incher and S.brothers! Good times!

os105.jpg

Wow, that pic was taken almost 6 yrs ago. Elysian 06

HA! BMX love you long time! laugh.gif