Sign in to follow this  
Larock

R&R Factory Colors

The crazy thing about those stickers is they ended up with a whole bunch of 70's NOS small road bike parts at a thrift store my father in law volunteers at. These were the only thing remotely BMX in the lot. There was a very cool hand written inventory list I received with the stuff that mentions an A&A shock bike and two Ashtabula frames. There is also hand written expense reports on small yellow pieces of paper. Pretty cool stuff. I will scan it if I get a chance.

Blue

But this one has me totally confused as to the model....It's lighter than Volcano's Screamer, but doesn't have the "box" around the seatpost mast

The catalogue Superlight has a brake bridge but no box!!!!

Don't even get me started on the anomalies with the green frame - 3/4" seat post and 95mm dropouts but no brake bridge!!!!

These frames are killin me I tells ya

web.jpg?ver=13117379340001

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2011 at 9:37 PM, seda said:

I've never owned a Superlight so I can't say for sure about that frame but the CM1, CM2 and Screamer all look like the same frame to me. The Centurions and CM2's I have owned were identical geometry wise as far as I could tell, just had different seat tube lugs - box or flat.

Best I can do on 4/20. Love to be wrong and learn something.

Edit: CM1 had the side plates at the head tube gusset like below.

R&R CMI ad bmxn 1275.JPG

In 1977 I was sponsored and raced an R&R Superlight that was made especially for me. Welded in front of my eyes out of aircraft aluminum at Van Nuys Airport in an airplane hanger owned by one of the owners named Rick.  It was chromed and built a day or two after it was welded and brought to me on a weekend race at Yarnell. I raced that bike at Yarnell, Van Nuys Teen Center, Corona, Saddleback, Monrovia, Randall Ranch and a host of other tracks on my way to the #1x  NBA overall plate. It was the first ever #1 plate issued by Bob Haro and I was the youngest to ever win an overall #1 racing as a 9 year old in 10-11 expert. The bike weighed just over 20 pounds total and if I remember right, the frame weighed under 2-1/2 pounds. And it held up under some extreme conditions. As extreme as a 9 year old can get anyway. The bike, along with the plate was stolen in 1984 and never found. :( The add here is not the Superlight but the design is the same. For some reason though, I don't remember the gusset on my bike. Forgive me. It's been a long time.   lol

Edited by Robbie Brewer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It must have been fascinating at that age to accomplish this. You must of had a very supportive family. Well done Sir. Thanks for sharing your story.

Edited by dav451

Factory R&R cadium plating.  Who is this?  One of the best race bikes of all time!

004.JPG

• Like 1

I don’t know who the rider is but looks like some interesting stuff going on with that bike.  Could all just be an illusion but the seatpost appears like it’s over the seat tube and the front gusset kinda looks like it’s extended over the head tube.  Plus he’s running a multi-speed freewheel too.  

On 8/29/2019 at 9:04 PM, dunphy1 said:

Factory R&R cadium plating.  Who is this?  One of the best race bikes of all time!

004.JPG

Its Mike Ruffing

3AAAE103-BF12-4A2B-80CC-453DD334401E.jpeg

• Like 1