Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

What bike have you had in your collection the longest?

Curious who holds 'em for the long haul. I originally had "collector bikes" in mind... but if you've still got the bike you had as a kid, that's interesting data too. (plus it's always fun to see a survivor).

Post 'em up.

Mine would be the OM Flyer. I've changed a few things, but this is how it looked a few years back. I got the frame & fork in 2005, got the parts together pretty quick, considering I did it all from the other side of the world. When I got back to the US that June - it was a great pleasure to assemble it and hit the streets. I took the hubs, rims and spokes over to Billn in Wichita and he showed me how to build wheels. I haven't done it since though. In any case, 6 years passes in a flash. Sheez.

I have pretty much everything I've acquired since coming back to BMX consciousness in 2004. I almost never sell anything. But I don't acquire too much either. Of course that's all relative. :wink:

OMflyerAug2008.jpg

Had a '72 Schwinn Stingray but wanted a "real" BMX frame and fork. My Mom couldn't afford it but she knew I really liked BMX so got me a 1974 Redline Squareback. It wasn't as nice as this but rode this until I switched to Torkers in 1978.

2006%201974%20RL%20squareback%20JTFreestyle_.jpg

2006%20JTFreestyle%2075%20RL%20R%20rear.jpg

2006%20JTFreestyle%2075%20RL%20seat%20clamp.jpg

2006%20JTFreestyle%2075%20RL%20rear%20hub.jpg

So how many years have you had that one in your collection, JT?

36 years I have owned it. It sat idle in my Mom's basement with all my other BMX items I kept over the years until 2002/2003. She wanted more space so I gathered up all the bikes, frames, forks, etc. plus all my over stock from J.T. Freestyle/Priority Sports and moved it to my home 175 miles away.

At that time I dabbled online with some BMX sites but just a lurker. Decided to build up some bikes after I attended Rockford '04 where I was riding my original 1983 Torker Pro-X. They said to enter it in the contest and didn't think it was worthy. The next year brought five bikes and since then have built approximately 6 - 8 bikes per year.

The first of each bike is my favorite so...

1974 Redline squareback

1978 Torker Low Profile

1982 Torker made Haro Freestyler

Probably my BOSS. Had it since 81.

Of all the things BMX I could not sell it, too many memories there.

Still have it, but built a replica of it (another old early BOSS) to fart around on as I kinda retired that frame.

october 041.jpg

bmxandy 003.jpg

101Monroe-1.jpg

BIKE SHOP 4 013.JPG

Andy bmx1.jpg

I've owned it for 31 years, luckily the paint job I did when I was 14, along with the other 4-5 paint jobs didn't harm the nickel. I finally stripped it down and rebuilt it around 04-05. still has all my original parts except the wheels and cranks, I up graded the Redline bars and Gold stem for the Tuf Neck and Race Inc just before I started driving.

Here is a back in the day pic and a more recent pic, I have since upgraded the tires and switched to a set of Shimano 600's with Suntour pedals.

photo0219_copy0_blowup.jpg

MY GOOSE 4.jpg

Had this since 1983. Got it gently used when I was 13. Still ride it everyday. I know the brake lever is goofy, that's the way its always been.Guess I just got used to it! I suppose if someone had a straight one I would trade. :nah.I.mean:

81super80mm012.jpg

willspring2009078.jpg

It was awesome to cruise my son around with the kids seat!

my 75 stroker frame . it was the first thing i got when i got back into this years ago . maybe 7 years now . before i even knew of these message boards . sadly it was the first acquired . and is still just a frame hanging in the garage . i should really build it . i think i have everything i need too .

My TA which i bought in '92 because at the time i needed a new hobby that didn't include me staying up all weekend dancing in a haze around dirty warehouses.

The blue tuffs came from a bike i bought off a kid that was riding around outside the shop i worked in in the late 80's a couple of years after i'd let my own last bike go.

post-328-1255457073_thumb.jpg

I started collecting around 2001 and my first bike was a JMC Shadow(which I sold). My 80 JMC Long is the bike I have kept around the longest.

CIMG0458.JPG

My Torker 24" cruiser. I picked it up in 1996, I think. That was way before I knew people collected. My next oldest is my JMC Black Shadow, which I got in 2006 or 2007 after I was already "in the scene."

I haven't sold many of my bikes, either. I've flipped only one, and that was to get the Shadow. I think I've sold three other frames. But I've been thinking about purging a few of late. It's hard, though. They all seem to have some sort of sentimental value.

My first childhood Mongoose...1986 Mongoose Californian TC

This is the first Mongoose I have ever owned. It was purchased 5 days before my 12th birthday. The owners' manual was filled out by my Mother and the bike was purchased from my neighborhood LBS..."Central Bike Shop". Not sure why She didn't put my name on it...? I found the bike last year while cleaning out my Mom's house...She passed away on July 20th 2010. I did not know She had it tucked away all this time.

As it stands...my original 1986 Mongoose Californian TC in show chrome...totally stock.

I guess this is what caused my Pro Class obsession...!!! Owned since 1987.

~Tom

P9140483.jpg

P9140481.jpg

PA170851.jpg

PA030596.jpg

PB290867.jpg

Wow, what a nice little surprise your Mom left you. That's great.

I've had my '89 Robinson cruiser since new...

post-1182-1229379812_thumb.jpg

And tho not technically in my collection since new, I like to think it just "vacationed" at a good friend's house for 20 years. Of all the bikes I own, this is the only one I would save from a burning building.

'82 Quad...How it looked bitd...

Tuff Wheel version for thrashin'...

IMG_0024.jpg

Pro Class rim version for racin'...

IMG_0018.jpg

How it looked right before it left home...

12-8-20043-01.jpg

How it looked when it finally came back...

IMG_2412-1.jpg

How it looks today under new management...

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_4400.JPG

Well my motomag is the oldest. I got this in 81 I think. Then I got the Supergoose as a frame/fork for Christmas in 81. Then I went nuts building my ultimate skatepark bike.

here they all are together..

S7301870 - Copy.JPG

S7302152.JPG

Well, the bike that I have owned the longest is my 1993 GT Ricochet mountain bike. I still have the owners manual and sales receipt. Bike is 100% original except the front inner tube. Extremely good condition. Never ridden the way it was intended to be ridden - just easy, light riding.

IMG_1125.JPG

As for BMX bikes, the one I've owned the longest is my 1983 Robinson Pro. I think I built it in 2007 if I remember correctly. Everything I built before the Robinson has been sold.

1983 Robinson.jpg

My first vintage acquisition, my 1982 GT 24. The deal I went through with this, with a "big dog in the scene", almost put me off the hobby, but thankfully it didn't.

It looks a lot different now, to how it looked when I got it.

I've come close to parting with with it several times now, but I can never do it.

DSCF0617.JPG

Curious who holds 'em for the long haul. I originally had "collector bikes" in mind... but if you've still got the bike you had as a kid, that's interesting data too. (plus it's always fun to see a survivor).

Post 'em up.

Mine would be the OM Flyer. I've changed a few things, but this is how it looked a few years back. I got the frame & fork in 2005, got the parts together pretty quick, considering I did it all from the other side of the world. When I got back to the US that June - it was a great pleasure to assemble it and hit the streets. 6 years passes in a flash. Sheez.

I have pretty much everything I've acquired since coming back to BMX consciousness in 2004. I almost never sell anything. But I don't acquire too much either. Of course that's all relative. :wink:

Man, Steve, that is one of my all time favorite bikes on this site. The OM is definitely one of those bikes that I wish I would have bought BITD.

I commend all you guys for holding on to your childhood bikes. Sadly, my bmx bikes from bitd are gone. I did manage to hang on to this 1976 Fleetwing Tiger Cat I got for ninth birthday.

Kept it in such good condition because I got into BMX about ten seconds after receiving it, and my old man refused to let me chop it up. Thank you, Dad.

The original cranks (about four inches long), Murray style slotted chainring and mangled pedals are still in a box at my folks' house. Joe

Fleetwing2.jpg

I've owned my 83 TA since 89 (I think -- whenever I dig, I realize I haven't had it for quite as long as I previously thought). Let's say, I've had it since no later than 1990.

Since I rediscovered 1980's BMX in 2007, well, I don't think I really kept anything until 09. Maybe that's partly due to me packing up everything and moving in 2010, but I've thought about selling a few things, but can't bring myself to do it, (except for one that has an "upgraded" replacement in the pipeline). Some of the bikes that disappeared in 07 and 08 were somewhat parted out, but much if it became part of bikes I build later on.

Actually, I'm thinkin' about selling off a few more thing soon, but nothing that has a personal connection to my BMX life in the 80's will go. So -- safely, all completes other than my TA (which is in line for a minor makeover), I've only had for 2 years, some other parts for 4.

I'm not sure it was a collection, but, this has been mine since July of 1979.

PNWshowGJS.jpg

Race79.jpg