Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

letters on number plates??

US plates had all sorts of letters on them just wondering what letter would be displayed on a bike that raced the Carona track.

Thanks

C

Being an ABA guy I did not know either. I guess NBL used the first letter of the last name?

PowerlitesBoss Jr 039.JPG

SoCal racers in the NBA, I think it was, had an X on their plates. N for NorCal, S for San Diego (Eddy King used $), P in Colorado. Those are the only NBA letter I know off hand.

And, yes, the NBL used the first letter of the rider's last name. My number was 95G.

Racing in Colorado, I remember thinking why not "C". I seem to recall C was in use in Central California, so, that's a possibility, since San Diego got S. And N was in NorCal.

D would have next made sense, for Denver, but, I think that went to Dallas, TX. Colorado riders got P, for Pueblo, Colorado. Home of a pretty wicked downhill track. I think we ran 45/14 or something like that.

But, there could have been a "C=Corona" logic based on how Pueblo worked, and creating that district. I don't know how far that C district carried.

GJS-153P.jpg

Correct Nbl used the last two numbers of your rider id number and the first letter of your last name.

so what letter should the plate have? you may have answered my question but I didn't get it. silly man. :)

I say run the "X" for SoCal--LA/OC. It looks cool and it was the center of BMX BITD.

I always wanted an "X" on my plate. BITD, I thought it meant Expert. I raced NBL, so ran the "G" in my name. I only recently learned what the "X" meant.

Thanks M.

US plates had all sorts of letters on them just wondering what letter would be displayed on a bike that raced the Carona track.

Thanks

C

It would depend on what year. Corona ran independent, then IRC, then IBMX, then NBA,followed by NBMXA then finally ABA (I think that's the right sequence) and also included a mix of associations for different big races.

I ran a plain number at the Webco "invitational," but also ran a IBMX (I think that's what it was called) ands also ran my S plated number on both hacks and 20" and finally CAL 2

Thank you all X it will be then.

I have an "X" on mine too Christian. I was wondering the meaning of them too.

I knew the X was so cal but I not knowing the geography of the States really and also not knowing which association Carona track was, I thought I'd ask.

Racing in Colorado, I remember thinking why not "C". I seem to recall C was in use in Central California, so, that's a possibility, since San Diego got S. And N was in NorCal.

D would have next made sense, for Denver, but, I think that went to Dallas, TX. Colorado riders got P, for Pueblo, Colorado. Home of a pretty wicked downhill track. I think we ran 45/14 or something like that.

But, there could have been a "C=Corona" logic based on how Pueblo worked, and creating that district. I don't know how far that C district carried.

GJS-153P.jpg

When my son & I raced in Denver in 1979 & 1980,our plates had the letter

'D' on them! We moved to Washington in 1981 where the plates had WASH-1 on them.

GJS-153P.jpg

I've just looked at some old pictures...in 1979 we used 'D' on our plates.

For the 1980 season,we DID change to the letter 'P'...I told you my eyes were

old...evidently so is my mind?

Bob,

It's possible that there was a non-NBA body also running in Colorado?

DB raced 4p in 1979 for NBA, lots of pictures show that, and I know me and my buddies were all "p" riders in NBA, living down in south Denver. I started 408p in 79 and moved up to 153p for 1980.

But, there was that conversion from NBA to NBMXA that happened way back, and that's when we went to D. I still have that license with a D tag on it. Was that 1980?

I think the WASH-1 stuff was ABA?

Bob,

It's possible that there was a non-NBA body also running in Colorado?

DB raced 4p in 1979 for NBA, lots of pictures show that, and I know me and my buddies were all "p" riders in NBA, living down in south Denver. I started 408p in 79 and moved up to 153p for 1980.

But, there was that conversion from NBA to NBMXA that happened way back, and that's when we went to D. I still have that license with a D tag on it. Was that 1980?

I think the WASH-1 stuff was ABA?

Mark...

Yes,there was a 'local' association in operation when we started racing

in 1979-I guess as well as the NBA! NBA or ABA members were allowed to run

their official #'s & plates,while 'non-members' of either association ran

with 'D' on their plates.

The local association was primarily run by George O'Connor,Tommie Thompson,

Jim Baugh and Doug Brown-Derek's father-and there were local tracks around the

Denver area...the only 2 I remember now are Expo Park in Aurora and Adams Co.

Fair Grounds in Commerce.

The first ABA race in Denver was the 1980 Mile High Nationals.I was too old

to race ABA races (I was 37 then and the maximum age was 29)so I put a local

kid-John Alber,16 EXP-on my Littlejohn Team Replica 'Lowboy' and won the only

Cruiser class they ran,beating 2 PROs-Mark Pippin (SE Racing)& Bobby Encinas

(Shimano)to do it! The trophy he won was taller than he was!

As far as I know,my bike was the first Littlejohn Cruiser to win a

National Race title. Good times...great memories!

I started out with #383,went to #88 and finally

ended up with #2 in Adult Cruiser!

When we got Washington,Cruisers weren't too

popular here yet,so I retired and bought my Nomura!

Never raced it,but it's still 'race ready!'

WASH-1 was an ABA district...but the ABA hasn't

used these designations for years!

Edited by BOMAT_1