Sign in to follow this  
mrraceinc

Are these Profile bars?

Here is the thing, I didn't actually have these up for sale and there was a wanted ad on another site. I contacted the poster with pictures and told him I wasn't 100% sure they were real(my mistake but as I have never owned any others I didn't want there to be any problems. I wanted him to be sure he knew what he was getting as they are relatively rare). He said he would check into it and what it has came back to is a ton of emails back and forth with nothing really definitive. I have done some research myself since initially contacting him and am now 99% sure they are real but would appreciate some confirmation.

Now on with the information about my bars. These are CHROMOLY bars and are 27 and 3/4" wide, they have almost a 6 and 1/2" rise(ignore the picture my wife took she didn't measure where I asked her but she sure can take better pictures of chrome than I can!) These are shaped A LOT like my GT pro bars with a few exceptions: GT bars are taller overall, GT bars have a larger diameter crossbar, GT bars don't have near as nice of welds and the sweep is different than the Profiles). The Profile sticker is on CLEAR backing. It is 2 and 3/4" long and definitely has a lot of age to it as the one edge has came up and is no longer sticky. The welds are BEAUTIFUL and are the nicest I have seen on anything.

Any confirmation one way or another would be appreciated. The potential buyer already contacted someone and couldn't get a real answer one way or another. The fact is these bars are 100% OG and not refinished with probably a 20+ year old Profile sticker on them.

museum006.jpg

museum008.jpg

museum009.jpg

museum010.jpg

At first glance, they're looking like - 2nd Gen Hutch bars - to me. Maybe Expert size?

That sticker looks pretty authentic.

But I'm no Profile expert. I thought Profiles had a more "robinson" shape to them - at least the Pro bars..

That is the problem! I don't know anything about Hutch bars either! I guess some of the experts will need to chime in!

Check my Profile Information thread. You can compair your bars to mine, and others in that thread.

I can't get the link to work. I do know they look exactly like the top picture you initially sent him though.

011-5.jpg

Hmm, link just worked for me. The thread is in the Magazine scans part of the forums, on page 3.

The pic you used above are Profile cruiser bars.

IMO, and I could be wrong, but your bars look too boxier to be Profile bars. The bends around the stem area seem longer on yours, making them look more boxier.

Hmm, link just worked for me. The thread is in the Magazine scans part of the forums, on page 3.

The pic you used above are Profile cruiser bars.

IMO, and I could be wrong, but your bars look too boxier to be Profile bars. The bends around the stem area seem longer on yours, making them look more boxier.

Do you happen to know the diameter of the crossbar on yours? Like I said these are shaped a lot like early GT bars but aren't. Don't know what that is worth in relation to Profiles. Like I said as old as the sticker is I just really don't see a reason for someone to fake it all the way back then but who knows!

Pro Bars 29" Width - 9" Rise

Thanks for the pics. Still trying to get to the magazine scans area.

Can you tell me what forum I need to go to for the scans? I really can't find it. Dumb today I guess! They are actually 28" wide not 27 and 3/4"

Found the scans page on the home page. I figured out the problem! I have forgotten to renew my membership! I will need to do that as soon as I get some funds back in Paypal!

Edited by mrraceinc

The above pics were taken from that info thread. So I hope that helps.

I don't remember off hand what the cross bar is. I'll have to check when I get home later

mrraceinc, this is not info on your bars, but the fact that you are going to this much trouble to make sure that the potential buyer gets what he paid for says a lot in my book.

Good job, amigo.

mrraceinc, this is not info on your bars, but the fact that you are going to this much trouble to make sure that the potential buyer gets what he paid for says a lot in my book.

Good job, amigo.

+1

:ThumbsUp:

Good job, amigo.

+1

:ThumbsUp:

Thanks guys! I am trying to do my best! I know how disappointing it can be receiving something that isn't what it is supposed to be!

What I can add is these are definitely NOT 1st generation PROFILE bars as you see in the pix provided by Surf911s (Bill). The 1st set is 1 of 4 setsI own. However with PROFILE parts the answer is never easy nor 100% absolute. I bought a Profile 1986 Complete Champ Pro with bars from a person that worked for the original owner (bought it in 1986). The bike is extremely well preserved and some of the members have seen the bike. It has a set of Profile bars on it that are what I will call for now 2nd generation bars These are manufactued differently). I have seen the expert version on a survivor complete that BP owns currently and is in his possesion. The sticker on these bars look real but it is a clear backed sticker from what I can tell-odd for a chrome handle bar. Bill and I and Todd from the Museum have found many oddities with Profile but most of all we found that you can't say anything with 100% certainty. These could be 2nd generation expert bars and I say could be because thay are much harder for me to spot with a picture. They are in my eyes not worth what the 1st gen bars are because that's what people look for-the distinctive look. I think I have seen another set in the Profile info thread but like I said it's hard for me with just pix with these bars.

One other note: Every set of these bars I have seen, including mine, only have the upright PROFILEsticker and NOT the crossbar sticker.

Update to old post. I had forgotten about these and just came across them. The bike these were on was an OG GT 24". It had not been messed with in my opinion. I am not the one that parted out this bike but it was a close friend. If these are NOT Profile, I would say they are OG from that era. If it can't be worked out through pictures if these are original, I would love for a Profile expert to be willing to let me ship them to them so that they can inspect them. Stuff has no value if you can't say what it is. As always, I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I guess worst case scenario, I will just put them on my RRS as they are a really nice set of bars.

I did read through the Profile post. To me they look just like the ones Surf911S posted. It just really sucks all of the knock off stuff out there. Makes it too hard to tell the originals. I focus on selling parts for vintage Chevy trucks and people are starting to sell knock off accessory stuff for them and marking them as original. It seems most people in the truck world are like a lot of the people on the "other" BMX site. They just want new and shiny and don't care if it is original. I guess I wouldn't care either but over the years I have adapted to the mentality here and have no desire to have anything knock off.

Aloha

I just got a profile champ pro cruiser with those same bars as the one surfer posted. Can you confirm that they are profile Cruiser bars. Email me at alan_feliciano@yahoo.com 

Thanks

Alan

20210821_152719.jpg

Edited by AlohaBMX

Post pics from behind showing the bends. Also, if you can take a pic of the knurling