Sign in to follow this  
reekie6

Littlejohn Side Hack

I just picked this up from a local member/buddy. I figured my kids should have a good time on this thing. pic is as found last week. it was OG black at one point. nice and light .
side hack 001.jpg

side hack 002.jpg

I plan too mount it too this thing LOL. it is the oldest bike I have at this point. may look for a 70 bike later. but we are going camping next week and the kids should have a blast on this thing attached too the goose.

GOOSE001.jpg

nice and light

:ROTFLMAO:

Yea...it's a little too light for a boat anchor as/is. Wait till you build it up "70s style", then we'll see. :lol:

Oh yea, what Wagonguy said, a lefty. I wonder if it was a San Diego hack at one time?

It looks to be in pretty good shape. There is an extra brace near the front mount and another at the front of the bottom platform. Also, that 45 degree hoop around the outside of the outboard wheel is an add on.

After I typed all that, I looked at some pictures of mine from early on. My push bar is quite a bit different than this one. I'm wondering if this is a newer model than mine and all those braces are actually production bits. Mine is of the first generation/design so it would not surprise me if those were upgrades.

Very cool by any means.

I'm not sure how they fit the step dropout Mongoose frames, but on the pre 81 frames there isn't much room for the rear clamp to clear the Mongoose dropout and a lot of guys just drill a hole in the Hack and move the rear axle over and just bolt it to that. Unfortunately the few I seen done like this didn't have a way to adjust the chain tension. So on mine I added a piece to the hack and made a slot so you could move the rear wheel to adjust the chain tension, it also helped me level it out, if I mounted it where the rear clamp lines up with the chain stay, it made the Hack lean too far to the outside. I also used a rubber block between the Hack and the chain/seat stays, this also helped square the Hack and the bike up so it didn't look ridiculous.

Here's a pic of one Hack I know of where they just used the axle nut, and a pic of my Hack that I made the bracket on the Hack bigger to use the rear axle, I still plan to drill another hole and use a clamp as well as the axle nut, but it has worked just fine so I haven't made the effort yet.

DSC00751.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

DSC01451.JPG

DSC01450.JPG

Rumor has it it was bought at John Littlejohn's shop here in Hudson NH. I could find out. the shop is still there and one of his old workers own's it now. he must remember if they sold a hack out of the shop. To tell ya the truth it is the first side hack I have ever seen in person. I don't remember seeing any at the track as a kid here on the east coast.

looks like mine clamps too the chainstay??? not sure but it looks like the clamp would bolt up their.

nice and light

:ROTFLMAO:

Yea...it's a little too light for a boat anchor as/is. Wait till you build it up "70s style", then we'll see. :lol:

Oh yea, what Wagonguy said, a lefty. I wonder if it was a San Diego hack at one time?

It looks to be in pretty good shape. There is an extra brace near the front mount and another at the front of the bottom platform. Also, that 45 degree hoop around the outside of the outboard wheel is an add on.

After I typed all that, I looked at some pictures of mine from early on. My push bar is quite a bit different than this one. I'm wondering if this is a newer model than mine and all those braces are actually production bits. Mine is of the first generation/design so it would not surprise me if those were upgrades.

Very cool by any means.

I have one of each style, I do believe the one you have and my other one are the earlier versions.

Sweeet! Wish I had room for one of those!

Tell me about it, I haven't mounted my other one yet for that same reason.

Not many of them around. The Barrette Bros. have one. Most are right handed. I think it was just personal preference and ordered like that.

Doug

looks like mine clamps too the chainstay??? not sure but it looks like the clamp would bolt up their.

Mine could have used the clamp on the chain stay, but I would of had to file out the front part of the Mongoose dropout to clear the bolt and clamp, I couldn't get myself to cut on the Mongoose frame, it just made more sense to ad to the Hack.

Any rhime or reason for left and right side hack's???

I think it was just to give the Rider/Monkey a choice.

Mine could have used the clamp on the chain stay, but I would of had to file out the front part of the Mongoose dropout to clear the bolt and clamp, I couldn't get myself to cut on the Mongoose frame, it just made more sense to ad to the Hack.

Any rhime or reason for left and right side hack's???

I think it was just to give the Rider/Monkey a choice.

thanks for the help. I guess I will find out soon if the Hack fits the newer looptail any better. I hope so.

thats a ill azz hack, cool to see a lefty. 36_2_25[1].gif i'm sure your kids are love it.

on a side note....lefty's are a trip to ride when you're used to riding on the right. you don't see the real clamps very often either....you're stoked!

thats a ill azz hack, cool to see a lefty. 36_2_25[1].gif i'm sure your kids are love it.

on a side note....lefty's are a trip to ride when you're used to riding on the right. you don't see the real clamps very often either....you're stoked!

Patrick

I was just looking at an Impact on craigslist last week when jayoldmanbmx called me and said he was picking up a little john Hack. the rest is history. I just got it home tonight. hope to have it set up soon. (before next weekend) the kids will kill me if not. LOL

A Lefty and a Righty doing Battle!! :ThumbsUp:

Kick Ass!!.png

my favorite lefty' hack pic!! 15_8_200v[1].gif

JP&Doug sidehack jumpin.jpg

Here is my 'righty' doing battle with JP and Hadley on JPs 'lefty' at Rancho San Diego.

img625.jpg

Thats what is some damn cool about this place. So much history and experience!

I'm digging that hack r-reekie! What a cool find. And all the hack photos are are great!

Here is my only hack photo. Me as the monkey, and my old racing buddy Shane as the rider, taken on the Kaiapoi track, just outside of Christchurch, New Zealand, around 1982. Sadly the track was destroyed in the September 2010 earthquakes.

bmx0006.JPG

INTENSE CONCENTRATION :rockout:

Marv_BMX_111.jpg

Any Idea what year my little John hack would be from or close too. lol. I would like to find something close in age to pair it too.. this 70's stuff is a hole new ballgame.