Sign in to follow this  
bmxmountainbiker

Rest in peace John Kovachi

John Kovachi passed away early this morning. He was a BMX and MTB pioneer, entrepreneur, master wheel builder, and my friend.

JohnKovachiGriffinDhill.jpg

I'll have more later...

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

that sucks to hear. may he rest in peace.

WTF. I know that he had med issues for years, never knew they were that bad.

Gods speed to a really good guy. Very sad to hear. Wow very sad.

Very sad to hear. He was a great talent, and still had passion for the BMX world over all these years.

Sorry to read this. Condolences all around.

Such a loss, wheel artisan and legend. Sad day. I never met him but know just based on his handy work he was a legend. I have/had sets of wheels built in the early 90's with nothing done to them since the day he touched them and are as true as the day they were built. I hope he was able to pass on his knowledge to someone to carry on his wheel building "art".

Moving this to the main page as this is very relevant to BMX culture.

Soon to be National #1 at the 1978 NBL WOS race in Portsmouth, Virginia:

JKPortsmouthVA78WOS.jpg

John is #14 and I think I see Matt Harris and Timmy Judge in staging.

John and I were recently discussing the fact that he had attended every NBL Grands ever held from the first to the last when the NBL finally shut down this year... not many people can say that.

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I am in total shock. John just finished some wheels for me last week, and we had a nice chat. I always looked forward to stopping by his house.

John, I am going to miss you brother. God speed my friend.

So sorry to hear. Never had a chance to see his work close up but I'm quite sure it was amazing. God must have needed his wheel builder.

Such sad sad news.

I talked to him maybe a month ago about making 22" hoops. Never knew he was ill.

I went to the John Kovachi memorial service after the ABA Disney Cup race in Orlando last night. Very moving. It's amazing how many lives John has touched. Thanks to B.A., Shannon and everyone at the ABA for putting this together to help us pay tribute to our lost friend...

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I first got to know John on a personal level through my Vintage builds. I remember the first time I called him and he asked if I had bought wheels from him bitd because he remembered my name. I told I hadn't but I that was I was flattered. Each time we talked the hours would pass as we both relived our days of riding. When it was time to build my wheels for my Widowmaker John was the only person I would allow lace up those bright red hubs. I also asked John if he had any of his original stickers from the 90's. They were the crowning mark on my wheels. He went out of his way to make sure all of the projects we did together were perfect for me and for that I will always be greatfull. His knowledge was only matched by his great heart and I feel blessed to have known John.

"Stay true John!"

JK1983.jpg

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker