Sign in to follow this  
Monster-Robot

Is Bicycle Motocross Here To Stay?

Great article Michael!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and share all of the great material you have!

Sweet. Thanks for posting that.

I would venture to say a few of those pictures are from Northern California. I see a couple of Silver Shield guys in there. Maybe John Wells? I am wondering if the Panda rider wearing Mototcycle boots might be Dave Busby?

Cool stuff Michael. 75 was a very cool year to be BMX'n here in SoCal. We were transitioning from 'bikes' to 'BMX specific' bikes and accessories were popping up from all sorts of manufacturers.

The lead Webco rider (#37) in the downhill picture is Rick Collins. For comparison, here is one of Steve's pictures from Yarnell...

Webco team.jpg

Fantastic stuff, Michael. Thanks for posting. Making myself a fresh cup of afternoon coffee. Going to sit back and enjoy it while trying to answer the age-old interrogative.

super cool pics...

that 1970's race

the wooden berm

and really dig the last shot of all the racers hanging out.

Some of the pics in both articles are taken a Merritt College. I remember that day because the Webco guys came up for some reason. Also I'm in a couple of the pics...#62 on the down hill pic and also on the main pic on the second article, far left with the white banana seat and Carrera goggles and dark jersey. I don't EVEN remember running a white banana seat.

It looks like the Webco guys are all running black Redline forks. Were they just painted? I didn't think that they had the mild steel versions out that early.

Spike, I ended up with two copies of the June issue. I'll send you one them if you don't have already it.

Here's a hi-res of the downhill shot:

Bicycling - 1975 - May - P39 - Bicycle Motocross - Downhill image.jpeg

Hell yeah Mike, thanks.

I have the May issue. It's so weird that I don't remember using a white banana seat, I remember the frame was a VERY heavily gusseted modded Schwinn frame. Not long after that I went to the freight train frame that I got from Pete Harrigan of Sliver Shield. These pics were from early 75 seeing as there was a 2-3 month lag time back then.

Great pictures of Merritt in both of those magazines. All the usual suspects, Spike, Terry Barker, Pete Harrigan, Danny Oakley, Dave Busby and the rest of the Silver Shield crew. As I remember Chuck Robinson brought up Rick Collins and the Webco crew to Nor Cal for some fun. They were all good guys. Yes Dennis, Dave Busby would wear Mx boots from time to time, for some unknown reason.

great stuff - i'm really liking the #80 mx frame by plus-10 products of venice, florida. does anyone have one of these?

Going to sit back and enjoy it while trying to answer the age-old interrogative.

What a great sentence! I've been turning it my mind all day.

You're such a writer...

:nah.I.mean:

I have some other images of the Plus-10 stuff on another computer. I'll post them tomorrow if I can find them.

Great stuff! Spike's almost famous!

Just substitute BMX for Rock n roll and You'll know how I feel. laugh.gif

AWESOME THREAD !

Nice picture John.

You look so comfortable and stylish on that bike...and I'll bet if you tried to ride that thing today you would wonder how you ever fit on it in the first place.

:ROTFLMAO:

Thanks Dennis, your right a 20" bike just seems so small now, even my mountain bike feels small.

Classic A&A frame there.. I miss that old downhill berm. One slip and you were in the manzanita bushes, pulling stickers out of yourself. Ahhh... the good ol days.

And I'll tell ya that the dirt on that berm was concrete hard...thought I broke my hip when Pete Harrigan took me out.