Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Starting Gate Pics - "Random gates"

A little more recent. Old heads on old bikes at Flemington, Spring 2010.

post-1065-127222905057_thumb.jpg

Here are 4 pictures of the Pro gates from a race at Corona. There are quite a few characters lined up here.

Pro gate Corona (D).jpg

Pro gate Corona (C).jpg

Pro gate Corona (B).jpg

Pro gate Corona (A) - Copy.jpg

A few I have so far....have a few more somewhere.

I'm runnin' the blue RKL shirt a few years ago at a local gathering. Just for fun.

gate.jpg

This is '81 and this is practice at out local indoor concrete track. 538

gate1.jpg

I was telling the guys about this picture today. It may not be a 'randon gate' exactly, but you can see the gate in the background, I think that counts. :)

Check out John Palfryman giving me an elbow down the first straight. That is so John...

img728 - resize.jpg

To add to the 4 gate pictures above I have a couple others to give some perspective to Corona's gate and the first straight. Corona was not the gnarliest track BITD but it was alot of fun. That first straight allowed some great speeds and the first turn seemed different every time you drifted through it.

Here is a view past the gate down the first straight. There are two of the fastest kids in their class here in SoCal on this gate, Ronnie Ames on the left and Steve Skibel on the right.

The other picture is a view from the bottom looking up.

Perspective...

Corona first straight photo by Bob Smith - Copy.jpg

CORONA START.jpg

• Like 1

Itasca BMX Track - 1980

itasca_gate.jpg

Itasca BMX Track - 1982

itasca_gate2.jpg

Naperville, IL - 1983

mike_naperville.jpg

Cool thread, Red!

M

Hey Mike C. Nice additions there. In the middle picture, the second guy from the right looks like he has a #1 on his plate. From his start I could see why that would be so.

Now the last pic almost looks staged. (kinda) With his buddy right next to the number one slot to get a shot of him 'jumping' the gate. Whatever the case, it's a great picture!

This picture was taken by Stu's dad, Hans Thomsen. He was a master with a camera. It was truely great to have him around.

This was from a National in Bakersfield in 77. I had a great day. I won the 16ex class and the trophy dash. I got overexcited in the Pro main and went too early at the gate and ended up 4th.

img601.jpg

This picture was taken by Stu's dad, Hans Thomsen. He was a master with a camera. It was truely great to have him around.

This was from a National in Bakersfield in 77. I had a great day. I won the 16ex class and the trophy dash. I got overexcited in the Pro main and went too early at the gate and ended up 4th.

Yeah! Bakersfield Uber Alles!

Looking thru my 'photo stash' I came across another gate with Tinker next to me, this time I have Stu on the other side. Another typical weekend.

This gate shot is at Corona, 1978, and check out the custom red and gold Cook Brothers frame. :)

img505.jpg

1982_ABAGrands.jpg

1982 ABA Grands "Launching Pad" Start Hill

Dave Christensen (50), Mike Vogt (112), Mike Miranda (5), Tinker Juarez (22), and Brian Paschal (396) take on the flat-ground-landing first jump.

Red, your reference in another thread to the "huge" start hill at this years ABA Grands and your comment about it is the reason I'm posting this... see that thing in the background? It was a pretty good starting hill, but even it paled in comparison to most of the downhill tracks from BITD... the starting hills never stopped until you reached the finish lines!

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Otherwise, you don't have to look far to find truly big starting hills at the supercross and Olympics BMX tracks.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

That is a great shot Richard. Yea, that is a good 'attempt' at a start hill. Actually, that one and the latest one at the Grands are real good for indoor, purpose built tracks. Ya gotta hand it to Shannon and the ABA (?) for at least going as big as they can.

I also like the huge kicker for a first jump. I would love to see that done today and see how the Pros (and their bikes) would hold up to a flat landing off something that big.

Otherwise, you don't have to look far to find truly big starting hills at the supercross and Olympics BMX tracks.

Here is shot I took at the Chula Vista Olympic Trials event for the 08 Olympics. Now that is a start hill!!! Also for comparison is a picture from the top of the Trials track and one from the top of the Randall Ranch track.

IMG_7313 - resize.JPG

OlympicStartHill.jpg

RandallRanchStartingHill.jpg

I've always loved that Randall shot... so cold, desolate, and lonely at the top...

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Great additions to the thread, Dennis. Love this last one with sepia patina :) The Corona and Bakersfield shots are full of moto vibes.

Richard... I was there in 82. I struggled with that first jump. It was more than what I was accustomed to, and could not contain my squirliness.

I was there in 82. I struggled with that first jump.

You were not alone. There were a handful of riders flowing that beast: Veltman, Ellis, Leone, and Patterson come to mind.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

P.S. Aren't you from Kansas? I think that's where Brian Paschal, the B Pro winner, was from...

Yeah. Brian was an SE factory rider, and I was totally in awe of that. Sprockets BMX in Derby/Wichita was our home track.

The big M track that I posted the above gate shot earlier in this thread was actually a little closer to home, but I spent more time and was more at home at Sprockets.

Thanks Steve. Funny to think back to this next picture/memory. In 1985, Scott Briethaupt (ever the promoter) contacted a bunch of us 'old timers' and put on a 'Veterans' race in coordination with an ABA national in San Bernadino. I'm sure there were at least 2 motos because we had a full gate main also.

I remember the first jump being similar to the one in Richards photo, too big for me to speed jump. But I had no problem just launching off it. Where I had problems was a set of doubles out of the first turn. I had never done 'doubles' before so I was just rolling both of them.

I could holeshot and lead out of the first turn but Bottema would pass me every time as he cleared those doubles. :doh:

But I also remember (musclehead) Stu was able to speedjump that first jump by doing something similar to a 'Bubba Scrub' over it. It took alot of power to pull that off.

mastersrace87abasanberngx0.jpg

1978 Jeff Brooklyn park gate_.jpg

1978 gate start for the Torker Kid

79_NBA_Grands.jpg

1979 NBA Grands, KOS, Stu, Clinton, Brent Patterson, and Harry Leary

1981 Moose Jaw start with Mouse.jpg

1981 first race at this track (43 Red BMXA)

1983 Jeff 1st out gate Virginia2.jpg

1983 with tar starting hill

1983 Jeff gate start buffalo2.jpg

1983 gettin' the holeshot

Don't be shy, J.T., show us your most recent one! :Power.Grin:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Well at home healing from my crashes two weeks ago and decided to race the ABA Grands after 27 years of not racing last week with bruised ribs, bum knee, and sprained ankle.

The guy with the new school Kuwahara/Tuff's, to the left of me, had flats with me else the guys were clipped in.

Looking at the start with a 1980 Redline Proline I felt great and confirms that until the big jumps. Guess I still have my "random" reflexes still intact after all these years and bad crashes.

2011 ABA Grands JT 1st Moto start JTFreestyle.jpg

We need a sweeper corner at some of these races so us flatty guys can take a foot off and crank out the corner before the guys can clip in again :yes:

Now we're cookin', JT!

os_bmxgate.jpg

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 1979. The late, great Larry Johnson, WDAM-TV news anchor, Wheel House owner, BMX promoter and all around great guy gets us ready to start. I'm in the Husqvarna American Flag jersey with no number plate, Barry Page is #11, and my brother, Mike Vogt, is #7.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

this pic is rad.

and loving all those early haro plates in the background.