Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Starting Gate Pics - "Random gates"

Man, this is a great thread. I really dig the one foot starts in some. We were still doing that when I started. Years later, after two-foot starts were the norm, me and a friend, Travis Homer, would sometimes do one foot starts just to freak the rest of the gate out.

More often than not, we were still able to pull off the win.

The first track I ever raced at (other than our little track in the woods) the starting line was a trench dug in the ground that you put your front wheel in and the starter (standing behind the staged racers) fired a track pistol to start the race.

Then we raced two laps. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Wow! The Internet is a wonderful thing. This was sent to me in my quest to find old BMX pics from Mississippi...

LongBeachBMXStart 1.jpeg

Playtime at our backyard practice track in probably March of 1981. Kids just started showing up, so we would hold races.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Ok Patrick, here is another one for ya. This is another shot from the lens of Stu's dad, Hans. I can't thank him enough.

This is at an ABA national, summer of 1978, at a make shift track in Oakdale (where the hell is Oakdale?) Another one of those days where things went great at one point and down in flames the next. I am 173 and that is Anthony Sewell #268, in Jag colors and John George, #401. I won the 16ex class this day too and blew up in the Pro class again. :)

img619.jpg

here's a pic that's always been a favourite.

168474_156152501103210_155984421120018_309692_7244508_n - Copy.jpg

Here's 1 from modern day racing

its Evansville Indiana Expert class (the guy getting the holeshot is 42/3)

IMG00838.jpg

More old guys on old bikes - April 2010.

At the gate.jpg

This is my team mate, Dean Clarke on his Apollo at our local track.

45Apollo.jpg

That's funny Lee. The looptail on the end gives it away. :)

Here is one just for fun...

basket_case.JPG

1975 Santa Clara Fairgrounds, West Coast Indoor Championship. Im on the end next is Danny Oakley and then Dave Busby JW150006.jpg

Great picture John. Are you guys looking out of the picture at a flagman? When I first started racing at WSA in 74 we were using a flag start. Fun stuff.

I have a few scanned in of the little kids. I love the intensity of their eyes. Look at the different bikes in this picture, the frames, forks and handlebars. I love that the one kid is on a Schwinn with Ashtabulas.

Random Gate A - resize.jpg

This an old photo of me on the gate at York, North Yorksire, Great Britain circa late 83 - early 84 84.

I'm in gate 3 on my MT Silverfox. Everyone is doing one pedal starts apart from Craig Wrigglesworth in lane 1 on his Kuwahara ET, he was the local hotshot in the 13's there. Never raced anywhere else though.

The gate had more flex than a 'Z' rim!!!! ha

The track was situated in a farmers field. There were many random animals roaming around trackside amoungst the race fans. Friendly cows, sheep, goats and even a deer.

Such great days.

YORKGATE.jpg

Fun at Bellflower. Thats me in the VBMX jersey (darkside edition) Juliantorker is on the Freeagent 24 with the #028 number plate. We even got to take a few gates with the OM that evening. He's on the blue Floval in the last shot.

DSC04562.JPG

DSC04564.JPG

DSC04572.JPG

Im sure there was a flag man Dennis, they used to start the motorcycle short track races the same way there.

Great pictures Brian. Are you doing a one pedal start? I remember you saying you were hitting practice nights at Bellflower and the Y.

Great pictures Brian. Are you doing a one pedal start? I remember you saying you were hitting practice nights at Bellflower and the Y.

Yep! I really should lean to balance in the gate. But it's funny to see peoples reaction sometimes to how fast I come off the gate with one foot down. laugh.gif