Sign in to follow this  
Contender

What year DX Pedals?

I think it was 81 when they came out?

Pulled this at the Vans store again yesterday. I ask whatever young person who happens to be working there, "Ever see a platform studded pedal?"

"Shimano launched the DX studded pedals in 81, they were made to interlock with holes in this shoe tread. Vans was the number one BMX shoe at the time. You still see copies of that pedal on Wal-Mart bikes today."

Its great. The jaws drop, most just think Vans/skateboard culture.

Next question is, "Did you race bmx back then?"

:)

I think it was 81 when they came out?

:)

I think they were out before 81 yes? Maybe 79/80? Pretty sure I saw an ad in a 79 BMX Plus, but I don't have the mag at work. The DX's are all date coded with two letters. Date code decipher here

datecodes.gif

Example date stamp: These are October, 1983

ShimanoDX-6.jpg

i don't think they were about as early as 81.

Just looked at an image scan of the ad, nope not listed in late 79 for sure.

Bobby E had the DX prototypes late 79 early 80s I believe

I am just trying to put them together with my old racing pics. Not when the Factory dudes had em. What I can remember, there was this double points in Aptos, and I bought my first set off a tailgate bikeshop table at that race in 81. And at first the 9/16 was everywhere, and no 1/2s. My first test ride was on another bike with alloys with 9/16. The first set of 1/2 I saw was at that race in blue. My Grandma and I swung a deal. If I made the main she would get them for me. Could be wrong about my memory...My original equipment 9/16 for the Flight Cranks have no date stamp at all.

Found a pic, by Oct 81, I had the trophy from that race, and the pedals on my bike.