Sign in to follow this  
nycet3

old scool sidehack speed question

lately I have been watching a lot of old school sidehack racing clips (1970s vintage). I was just wondering for you guys who raced or rode hacks back then, what kind of max speed could you touch along those downhill courses?

must have been so much fun. i don't have many regrets because I did my share of insane fun shit. But I do wish I'd ridden a hack back when I had no regard for breaking my neck.

me and truly were riding hacks downhill in whittier a few weeks ago.....you go alot faster than it looks i can tell you that :power.of.suggestion:

hackgram.jpg

Damn, that's a cool photo, grey. And that's on a modern, full cromoly Impakt, no?

I would like one of those.

:ROTFLMAO:

I was just messin with ya up there.

There are only a few of us here really qualified to answer that question. Reilley and I for sure. Andreas (Greyboy) and Patrick (Truly Odd) have had a taste. But, so far we have not found a place with a real downhill straight and a nice wide sweeping corner to let it all hang out.

The one video I have at the moment (to post) was filmed by 'shadysean' Sean as he followed Rielley and myself down the Whittier downhill a few years ago. It is just a service road in a park about 10 miles from me. The picture above posted by Greyboy is the second turn you see in the video.

what kind of max speed could you touch along those downhill courses?

The track I learned on and raced the most was Corona. On solo bikes I ran a 46/15 and we would spin that gear into the first turn. I don't remember exactly, but I think I ran that gear on the hack also. I won't say we were as fast as a solo bike but it sure felt like we were haulin buns. I have home movies that I am working on to post but I'm not there yet.

Rick's (Reilley) home track was Rancho San Diego. The first and second turn combination were extreemly exciting. There are also some hack movies from there around somewhere.

I never raced hacks at Randle Ranch but I did race Yarnell. I have home movies of Yarnell that I am working on also.

This is a subject that I am very passionate about and was a ton of fun BITD.

I am hoping that by clicking on the picture below you will be able to watch the video. Please let me know if this works...

th_cb7dae24.jpg

Thanks a lot, Dennis. I am on my mobile phone right now, and it doesn't have flash.

Will definitely check it out when I get home.

Just checked it out. That is cool. Man, I need a sidehack and for my son to reach age six. See what I'm getting at?

awesome little video,i reckon you sidehack guy's were the crasiest mofo's from bitd,

some of the pics i've seen are just crazy :bowdownAll:

hackstack.jpg

Edited by ozredline

me and truly runnin' our brakeless sidehack yesterday :nah.I.mean:

8483c1667a1d11e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 9.28.42 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 12.32.31 PM.png

Great pictures there Grey! That 3rd one, the side shot with the speed blur affect, is an especially nice action pic. It reminds me of the one Windy took of us at Corona.

img747 - resize.jpg

good stuff peeps.......hackin away@!!!!!

Hey Grey, I had that picture and 3 others blown up to poster size at Costco. I gave them to Steve Blackey to go up on the wall behind my hack at the Bicycle Source.

I was amazed that I could get them enlarged to 30x20 for a mere $8.99 each. I was totally stoked about that price. I then mounted them on to foam board for about $1.50 each, so there you go.

Bicycle Source Hack with new pics in background.jpg

Bicycle Source Hack with new pics in background (2).jpg

hell yea.

it'd go good next to my minicycle poster!

OSThumbsUpPeace[1].gif thanks to dan for hooking me up with this one

sidehack poster.JPG