Sign in to follow this  
steve bourke

why Race Inc

why are the RM frames priced so low compared to the aluminum frames.

they had to have made less steel frames than any other model

For me personally, I think it's because the way the aluminum model was presented in this ad...

Raceinc.jpg

I was always drawn to it, to the point I didn't even notice the chro-mo model. :lol:

I still want one!

You are right. The chromo frames have never gotten near as much love which is weird because they are super sexy and the same basic geometry as tbe RA7. Ive never understood.

but the chromo came in the same boxed set

But if you are like me, and the only experience with the brand BITD was THAT ad, then it leaves an indelible impression.

Pure exotica for a boy in the midwest with all those gussets, anno finish and those beautiful welds.

The chro-mo looks boring compared to it.

Again, just my opinion.

those gussets, anno finish and those beautiful welds.

I think you are 100% correct.

I don't want one, which completely explains it.

:lol: completely true

those gussets, anno finish and those beautiful welds.

I think you are 100% correct.

This also is exactly true :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

In 1979, I chose a Race Inc aluminum frame for 4 reasons: weight, geometry, color, and details.

But mostly for the color. Mine was annodized gold, and it just stood out from the painted and chrome frames. The whole annodized thing was new to me, and I had to have one. Those fantastic welds didn't hurt either.

This was my bike:

race80.jpg

I'm kinda partial to bothshifty.gif

IMG_0397.JPG

Ewwwwww those are so sexy in that color!!!!

Alfa, its time to recreate that RA8 of yours. :30:

Alfa, its time to recreate that RA8 of yours. :30:

I have been waiting for a decent frame like the one I had. It's been 8 years of looking, but no luck. Most of them are just too far gone with gouges, cracks and so forth.

And there is the issue of red sidewall comp IIs, or that 1st gen Robinson frame pad.

The first RM1 was 79 with no serial number as far as Ive seen. The RM1 became the RM2 in 80. The only difference I can see is the crossbrace behind the BB added and a serial number. Ive never been able to find anyone to tell me definitively why the change from RM1 to RM2. As far as I know, the RM remained in production until the end in 1984.

I have to be honest, I always wanted an aluminum Race Inc and finally got one about 5 years ago...I had a plan to build an all aluminum bike...couldn't really find the appropriate pro sized bars so I used GT Pro's...when I finally finished it I was a bit let down, I found the seat tube and headtube angles way too lazy....ended up parting it out....(might have been because I was a dumbass and re-finished it from red to blue :Sux:

015.jpg

Oh - and I should add I love pretty much any Race Inc stuff - ask Brian - I've been annoying him for years whistling.gif

Last thing I can add is that I really don't think the RA frames are hitting any sort of price that makes them unobtainable - I seem to recall a certain RA-10 frame (that if I didn't have one I would have snapped up quick smart) that didn't sell here....and I have seen way more RM frames come up for sale than RA-10's

Maybe this is off-topic, but..

I always liked Race Inc. products, the frames, parts, etc. But the company never had any brand identity for me because I never knew any factory riders for Race or anyone sponsored by them.

For me to ride a frame or parts I usually have to identify with the guys that ride the brand.

Just my 2 cents.

I love both of them they handle like a dream with plenty of room for us big guys

I only ever knew of one growing up as a kid & the owner was American @ my school,

wanted one ever since.I race both of these on a rotation basis they are set up exactly the same,I can jump from one to the other no problems.As for your comments Brissy, too scared to ask Brian about parts,you see how he nearly tore that guy off ebay another asshole on the other thread,LMAO!!!

bmxsociety008.jpg

bmxsociety009.jpg

bmxsociety010.jpg

cool perspectives popping up in this thread, and some nice bike photos to go with it all. Alfa, that shot of your gold bike in the bedroom with chest of drawers and shag carpet from back in the day is so era correct. Awesome.

Here's one I prepared earlier

IMG_5371.jpg

this is the bike that made me aware of the RM's it's a cracker mate,can I ask where you sourced the gold decals for it.Chris

They are original to the frame, most if not all RM frames of this era came with those decals, i cannot say for certain but the RM-10 frames had the gold decals as well