Sign in to follow this  
bennyt4130

1983 Kuwahara 24" Ratrod find!!!

Well, I have had a few scores over the past few months but nothing like this. The story is typical. I found it via CL and hauled ass outside of town to pick it up. It's been raped but is still in OK condition. It was obvious that it had been sitting out for years on one side. Chrome is shot but no cracks. Two dings but the frame is straight. Bars are also toasty as far as finish. The rest of the stuff looks pretty good. When I got there, dude told me he had some other parts from the bike and I just about shit. It was built up with a bunch of crap which I will also show in detail. Absolutely hilarious build. He was proud as hell of it. He had the bars, seat post, seat, stem and seat post clamp from the OG bike. The forks had been cut off so he could make a chopper(vomit)! He claimed they were so bad(along with the wheels), that he trashed them. Cranks were no where to be found. Anyway, I scored it pretty dang cheap and will be putting up more pics but here is a teaser:

Kuwi 24.jpg

I was getting ready to have that shipped from tx to jersey (seen the listing too) - got the text back after a few replys saying it was getting picked up !

Oh well, almost, I even had the cola ready and waiting to go --- nice save that poor thing needed some help - that seat on it was a monstrous !

Nice find, especially as it came with the original Kuwahara cruiser bars. They are very hard to find.

Thats a shame that the original forks are toast. Being that they are a 5 inch head tube, finding replacement forks would be pretty hard.

I'm not sure what the original build spec was for these in the US? Jeff Haney told me he thought they came with one piece cranks, and low flange Suntour sealed hubs.

They're great riding cruisers. I took mine out for a ride yesterday, and it was a blast to ride.

It was out in the boonies! Here's another pic:

Kuwi 24 front.jpg

:teary: :hurl:

It makes me sad to see a Kuwahara 24 end up like that.

Still, it can be made better :)

Kuwi 24 front.jpg

lmao! Did he pull that seat off an old tractor?

This will make you feel better guys! After tear down. No clean up yet if at all. The pics don't really show the damage. The OG chrome did not stick well around the welds and the bars have a rusty flaky pittedness that is not gonna be repairable I don't think.

24 Kuwi Parts.jpg

This will make you feel better guys! After tear down. No clean up yet if at all. The pics don't really show the damage. The OG chrome did not stick well around the welds and the bars have a rusty flaky pittedness that is not gonna be repairable I don't think.

24 Kuwi Parts.jpg

Ia it just the chrome that has flaked/pitted, or is it into the metal? Is the seatpost in the same condition?

Seat post is much better. No real rust but the decal is decayed. The bars have some spots where the chrome is gone and most of the chrome seems unstable but not just falling off. I would be interested to see what an OA bath would do to all of it but there are definitely spots on the bars and frame where there is no chrome or very little. I will post better pics in a bit to show the condition.

I should add that even though there is rust, I think the frame and bars are both structurally sound. Just not pretty. Yet.

Note: After closer inspection, there was rust on the post but only to insertion depth. Past that point it looks pretty good for almost 30 years old.

Kuwi 24 front.jpg

OH MY GOD....WTF??WHERE THR INBRED OFFSPRING SITTING AROUND PLAYING A BANJO????

WHATS WITH THE BLACK N WHITE CHECKERED STRIPING? LOOKS LIKE A TAXI BIKE, OR SOMETHING, WOW......ITS A GOOD THING YOU FOUND IT, SAVE IT FROM EMBARASSMENT...AND A LIFE OF SHAME......

Nice save!

Soooo, after thinking about it, this is all going on the bay. I will post it for sale here first so that our guys can have first crack at it. After that, if no sale, the bay and Museum will get their shot. I still have no solid pricing so I'm just gonna have to guess. It's a cool and rare frame but I am not a Kuwi guy so it must go!

I am totally getting a tech workout with uploading these pics from two cams and re-sizing. Making me a little insane.