Sign in to follow this  
greyboy

COOK bars -1st generation

I recently got a pair of early nickel COOK bars, 24 wide x 7 rise, that i assumed were early...after searching the 'sites' i couldnt find pics of any COOK bars except the post-1980 version. i emailed red baron since he has OG COOK bros affiliation and he was able to shed a bright light on the bars confirming that they are first generation made in 1978. he also sent me a pic of his personal set and an OG ad when COOK released their handlebars :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

DSC06876 - resize.JPG

DSCI4984.jpg

DSCI4985.jpg

DSCI4986.jpg

img027 - Copy.jpg

You have to love my Cook ad where I am still running Redline 'V' bars. :ROTFLMAO:

My guess is they used that picture because it is from the Cook Brothers team photo shoot for Minicycle magazine. That is the only pictures of me wearing that jersey. I was actually sponsored by Ralph's Bicycles and co sponsored by Cook.

@OSPK...you got me dude!!! they should call you CSI PK :Power.Grin:

you grabbed them before i did!

great buy and hope to see them on a bike soon!!

:nah.I.mean:

you grabbed them before i did!

great buy and hope to see them on a bike soon!!

Killer score Andy 36_2_25[1].gif

I'm surprised it took over an hr before they were sold.

I think the reason why they sat, is that everyone wanted the 'pro' version and not being educated that they are 1st gens.

the ad that you posted, those bars look wider?? Were these only available in one size or are the pros pictured above in the ad and you have the 'expert' version?? :Idunno:

more pics please when you get em Andy!

I saw them also, and was really tempted, since my current project is a 78/79 CB. But, couldn't pull the trigger.

Damn, what a bunch of lurkers and time wasters we all are!

Are all nickle Cook Bros bars first gen? I have a set on my '79 Patterson, never thinking much about how early they might be.

clarification via RED BARON the COOK expert :writing: mine are the smaller version ....same width and RED's set, but not as tall :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

img029.jpg

In response to Grays post above...I do not claim to know everything. Too much pressure there. I know some things and I am happy to share that. :Cool_LikeThat:

Also to clarify, my bars are cut down on each side. I have no idea why, it must have been a timing thing. I prefer wide bars now.

I hope I am not doing injustice to history by using a term that might not be correct. I called mine 'first generation' only because I am sure I had the 'first design' of the Cook bars as I was working there and racing their equipment.

The other reason I use that term is because I have seen pictures of later Cook bars with a deeper bend on the crossbar. (I do not have that bar or any picture at the moment)

So I assume that there was a slight design change creating two different looks.

So is 'generation' the proper terminology or am I thinking too muckh? (something I rarely do) :lol:

you are correct RED, the crossbars have different bends....the early version or 1st gen. have a 'soft' bend, while the later or 2nd gen. have harder bend or kink :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

It would be interesting to see all three of these bars overlayed to get a true picture of the differences.

I copied Grays picture of that 80s version and enlarged it to try and get the scale equal to my bars. At first it looked like the 80s bars were taller than mine. Then as I continued to look, the bottom appears narrower which skews the comparison of width vs height.

They either need to be overlayed or meticulously measured.