Sign in to follow this  
hitman

BMX Society Stingray

This is the first bicycle I have ever built by committee. I tried to incorporate as many of the suggestions from Society members as I could.

This is how it looked the last time I offered it up for comment:

DSC05069.jpg

The suggestions:

The 26incher: “ I dig it but I think I would like it more with bigger bars... “

AGUILAR3: “ blk Schwinn box bars and 1 pc cranks would set off this bike. “

1966bmx: “ i would lose that stem and stiffener too . just get an ashtabula . and some ashtabula or schwinn forks . not baggin on it . just suggesting. “

Mark Mc: “ I always loved the Stingrays with a beefy double clamp "upgrade". Cebe has some nice choices. “

The changes:

DSC051741.jpg

DSC05176.jpg

DSC05177.jpg

The final assembly:

DSC051711.jpg

DSC05173.jpg

One suggestion I could not do:

Guyster: “ A ten-speed seat or a vintage banana seat w/struts would be cool too. Those "loaf" seats say "Huffy" to me. “

I tried a ten-speed style seat, but with the very short top tube, it made casual cruising terribly uncomfortable. A banana seat would be an option, but I just do not like the look of the white one I have on this bike.

I like your changes, cool bike....

The changes are definitely an improvement. I'm kinda for a banana seat also...

Hell Yeah. Much much better.

For shits n giggles, try a blk banana seat and see what you think. Guaranteed you'll fall in love with it. The loaf seat looks too Huffyish.

Don't laugh at my mad Photoshop skills

DSC05173.jpg

Yep. Much much better with the new cranks, bars, forks, stem. I too agree on the black banana seat like Aggy photo'd in. Bike looks awesome!!

BTW, you could get a 'rattle' can of black vinyl dye. Just spray the white seat black if its in good condition

Diggin' the updates! :ThumbsUp:

I had the same seat issue with my Stingray. I wanted a loaf seat, as the bike I was using as inspiration had one but it just didn't look right. A banana seat just compliments the already curvacious cantilever frame IMHO. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

72ray1.jpg

Here's a question I had...

I'm wondering if many kids ran double clamp stems with bars that had the hump in the middle. Trying to figure out if that was common or if that was considered a no no back then.

I ask because I have a Motomag that's running a gold stem, but it had the standard black Mongoose bars installed with the hump in the middle. Now granted, the stem did crimp down on the bars and leave indentations, but it does seem to be a tight fit.

Seeing the bike above set up the same way made we want to ask the experts.