Sign in to follow this  
Spur

Site project #1 - Comp III timeline

Seemingly NO ONE knows the exact time line of the Mitsuboshi Comp III labels. Every thread that is started about this, responses are based on hunches or guesses without any real proof or data. So in the interest of attempting to close the discussion and having a thread with all encompassing data and proof on this site, it is time for the BMX-Mensa members to have a meeting of the minds. This is a site-wide project and your help is expected and of course appreciated.

The key to proof is evidence and supporting data. No guessing or posting with out photographic proof. Let's scour our libraries of data and look for the earliest and latest photo's of each label in ads or tires in use and present them. Yes, there will be grey area in dating but I think we can get it close based on data from magazines and other sources.

1.) We are focusing on Comp III's only

2.) Please host the photo's on site, if you cannot, please specify that you hosted from Photobucket so that we can fix it.

3.) Make sure to include the source of the photo or data and the date.

Do Work!

Back cover or back inside cover of mid 80s BMX Plus should give you a decent idea of that point in time. I'm on the road right now but will dig in when I can. Mr Dain, time to pull out that scanner sir. :wink:

Pulling out the magazine box and warming up the scanner!

The sketchiest area in my timeline is after '91. The Rainbow era is so weird and has so many variations. Looking forward to sorting it all out.

Thanks, Spur!

This is the absolute earliest image I can find. January 1981. I think the first sets of Comp 3s I ever saw are in this issue. They are featured on the CYC Stormer that was being given away as 1st prize for the BMXA drawing contest that year. Seems like Comp 2s came stock on Stormers so I wonder if one of the guys swiped the stock Comp 2s and installed that "weird new set of tires that came in the other day" since they were going to be giving the bike away anyway. Just a theory. I think the pair in this pic was a prototype set given to BMXA. I cannot find anything earlier.

Comp 3 (Copy).jpg

In this photo of Harry in the same Jan 1981 issue, there is clearly spinning Fat Comp 3 rubber in your face:

Comp 3.2_NEW (Copy).jpg

That tire is not mentioned in the little bike check interview done with he and Pistol Pete later in the DB test article shown here but Pistol does have some:

Comp 3.3 (Copy).jpg

January 1981- These are the earliest traces I have. There is nothing in November 1980 BMXA. I have been through it pretty thoroughly. As far as I can tell, ads don't start for months after these first sightings. Can't speak for December 1980 BMXA because I don't have that one. This means that the Comp 3 tire existed in 1980 (remember issues of BMXA came out almost a month in advance). To my knowledge, the earliest known datings have been 1981. Didn't it take them a little time to catch on? First Comp 3 ad in BMXA was July 1981 but they existed months and possibly more than a year before that if you factor in R&D.

I'm still trying to find an issue where they were featured in the new products section. Gonna be looking for that tonight.

I am in for this. I will grab out all my mid school rags for all the blue grey label stuff. Too bad I tossed all my 80's ones. My Mom had saved them all since my brother and I had always kept them, almost as sacred as the big book!

From my research gathering and memory - here's what ive come up with

The first basic yellow label w/black solid text circa 81

In 83 they changed to the purple/yellow/green - used in ST, II, III n IV

555d61a1.jpg

Shortly after they used the red/yellow/ blue (sorta patriotic looking) logo with the whole "competition IV" text - my guess was they wanted something fresh n distinct for they're new primere tire.

b8fe1749.jpg

88 ads start to show the blue/grey/green logo and they went back to using that style as the universal look and just changing the title as required st/pool/ramp/III etc (so technically it could've been used as early as 87)

9dc74ce4.jpg

All I know after that is that there are rainbow label and the skin wall with simple white "tioga" text and lastly the reissue yellow label w/blk outline text (c. 08) all jumbled in there till now ....

In this photo of Harry in the same Jan 1981 issue, there is clearly spinning Fat Comp 3 rubber in your face:

Comp 3.2_NEW (Copy).jpg

In this bike review, on the previous page to this spread, the tire is listed as a "Diamond Back Skinwall Knobbie." Doesn't mean it's not a CompIII, but there is no way to tell for sure.

EDIT: In thinking about it I went back and looked again at the Harry Leary pic... Although this was in the middle of a bike test, I am not sure that is the bike being tested. Looks like his number plate (which isn't a big deal) but it also doesn't match the colors of the retail bikes listed. So is this Leary's personal rig? Maybe so, and possibly with Comp IIIs given to him for testing and evaluation? BennyT, is this what you were thinkin' when you spoted it? What? I'm kinda slow.

Mitsuboshi Comp III BMX Plus Sept. 1981 (Small).jpg

The earliest version of this same ad I could find is in July of 1981. In April of 1981 they are still running Comp II ads. Can anyone out there look in May and June of 1981 BMXA (or BMX Plus, or any mag) and see if there is a Comp III ad or press release in the new products section? I don't have those issues.

Here is the cover and ad from BMXA, July of 1981:

BMXA_8107-1.jpg

CompIIIAd8107.jpg

Comp 3.2_NEW (Copy).jpg

In this bike review, on the previous page to this spread, the tire is listed as a "Diamond Back Skinwall Knobbie." Doesn't mean it's not a CompIII, but there is no way to tell for sure.

Perhaps but the fact that Pete is running them and the fact that there was nothing even close to a Comp 3 tread pattern available in 1980/81 and the fact that I compared other pics of this type featuring Comp 3s leads me to believe it is, indeed, a Comp 3. That is in January 1981's issue which was probably shot in November of 1980. I already stated that the first BMXA Comp 3 ad was not until July 1981. You are right, though. That tire cannot be ID'd conclusively but the one on the Stormer is def a Comp 3 in the same issue.

BennyT, I just edited my post as I think you were more on the right track than I was. Although the pic was within a bike review, I think that was Leary's personal bike and who better to give an early set of Comp IIIs than a Pro like him?

With regard to yellow labels... there was a "Competition III" version first, correct? Can we discern when they changed to simple "Comp III"?

Also, for cruiser tires....

May 82, BMX Plus... the 24 inch Comp III is announced.

CompIII_24release_May82bmxplus.jpg

I might have that here. I have a gaping hole in my BMXA collection between '85 and '87 so maybe not. I need those mags BTW if anyone has doubles, PM me.

tioga comp III as seen in a July 91 ad

Tioga.Comp3.July91.jpg

This ad is from an Jan 86 issue of BMXA, but this same ad was running in 85 as well. Not sure how early it appears. These are just pics that I have on my computer. I don't have much magazine access at present.

Jan86bmxaTiogaComp3.jpg

Maybe we could do something like this once dates are documented and verified.

tiogatimeline.jpg

• Like 1

While I'm not into the whole Comp III tire scene, I do appreciate the info and the dating on the stuff. That Leary pic, he's also clearly running a 7x, so, we can bump 7x for sure into a 1980'ish release of some sort.

Benny is right, the date on the rainbow label is waaaaay off.  The earliest I have seen them is 95.

any mods think changing the title of this thread would be good?  it's great info but it'd be too hard to find when searching. 

what about putting it in the "visual database" forum?

We need to establish real timelines first. It is a little unclear still.