Sign in to follow this  
cwplanet

Recalling Old School Tracks

Having grown up riding BMX in Southern California, and now having two young kids who are currently active in BMX racing, conversations with other dads and track personnel somtimes involve fond memories of old tracks that no longer exist any more...and some that do (Orange Y for example). Tracks design these days seem to follow a general format, but I remember some wild tracks back in the day. Looking through my old BMX Action collection I enjoyed the pencil-scetched track layouts from Kurt Smith following each big race report. Its also cool to see photos of tracks that have succumbed to housing, development, or have just been leveled. Lots of threads on BMX Society about documenting bikes, parts, riders, etc., but searched and didn't find one documenting tracks. So, anybody have photos showing any old tracks, or particular sections of them? Any wild old track layouts? Maybe just a comment about an old forgotten track? Looking for pics of older layouts of Orange Y, Irvine, Lake Elsinore, Azuza...or any old school tracks from wherever!

Start with the Lake Elsinore Super Track as it was in 1987:

Scan_Pic0020.jpg

Evansville Indiana still racing 35 years later!!!

Track overview.jpg

Hm. Evansville looks pretty rad.

Are you shitting me. I cannot believe you have a pic of evansville. One of the fastest tracks ever. Freshour I used to race the nationals once a year there. Did you race there to?

Hm. Evansville looks pretty rad.

Hey SB its all down hill just like the old days!!!

Are you shitting me. I cannot believe you have a pic of evansville. One of the fastest tracks ever. Freshour I used to race the nationals once a year there. Did you race there to?

69 I still race there EVERY weekend if I can. Not so much this season been in the job finding mode, thinking of moving there.

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: I remember Evansville ... good times , Have any pictures of the old Fort Wayne , Indiana track ( Rockhill Park )? ... or better yet a time machine . :power.of.suggestion:

This month's Pull Magazine has a 2 page write-up about the Evansville track. Looks fun.

Wow fresh that's mint you still race there. Is part of the track still cut into the ground on the upper part? When I was at the nationals in like 83 I got knocked the fuck out for like 20 minutes during my semi. ( not one of my proudest moments haha.) Did you race jox jag back in the day ?

yes I did race the early grands back then. There should be a early grands video somewhere on the site.

Freshour- Evansville track is rad!

I've still been trying to dig up old photos of SoCal tracks. Especially Irvine, which I think I remember there being more than one?

Location now is buried under a golf course, condos and an expanded Irvine Valley College, but found this 1987 L.A Times article:

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-01/sports/sp-616_1_race-day/2

Speaks to the location as being-

"The Irvine BMX, located at Jeffrey Road and Barranca Parkway in Irvine, opened 15 years ago on funds appropriated by a bond issue, and is Southern California's oldest track.

The track is sanctioned by the NBL and membership fee for beginners is $10. The fee increases to $25 once a youngster moves to the novice division. Racing fee is only $5 with 100% of the money going back into the track under the Irvine BMX Parent Assn. Competition is every Sunday morning with practice beginning at 11 a.m. and racing at 1 p.m."

Interesting to me because it states that Irvine was the So Cal region's oldest track. Hmmm...

Additionally, I seem to remember a track of some sort up in the hills by Irvine Lake area?

Article also mentions Ascot in Gardena, Coal Canyon BMX, and Orange Y.

I remember an Irvine track (a bird even pooped on my head there) but I'm sure it was an ABA track because I've never raced NBL.

Did anyone ever race at the track behind the old Pipeline skatepark?

I remember an Irvine track (a bird even pooped on my head there) but I'm sure it was an ABA track because I've never raced NBL.

Did anyone ever race at the track behind the old Pipeline skatepark?

I sometimes raced at Pipeline. More so early on, when it had only 2 or 3 jumps. Dang that track had a super short first straight.

My guess is you are an 80's guy from the tracks you mentioned. I don't really have much input pertaining to anything radical in the 80's. :)

70's maybe...

Evansville was one of the fastest tracks I ever rode in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I've slid faster on my belly at Evansville than I could pedal at most other tracks...

:NoBS:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

P.S. My brother, Mike, went to sleep at the wheel coming back from Evansville in 1980 and wrecked Barry Page's Pinto. They were all safe, but the Pinto was done for.

os_pinto1.jpg

This is the car where I left the only photo album of 1970s BMX that I have today. Thank goodness!

Richard I too have done the belly slide thing at E'ville ROTFLMAO.gif

This month's Pull Magazine has a 2 page write-up about the Evansville track. Looks fun.

Anyone race any of the Chicagoland tracks back in the day?

My guess is you are an 80's guy from the tracks you mentioned. I don't really have much input pertaining to anything radical in the 80's. :)

70's maybe...

Correct, my BMX "prime" was mid 80s but I only got to ride locals when parents had time or finances. I loved being on the bike and still do. Raised in central Orange County: Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, Tustin...hazy memory from the late 70s of a BMX track in Fountain Valley?

Track history is just something I got interested in now that BMX racing is back in my life with my kids. So, you got some cool 70s photos or info? Curious to see it :)

Just like the history of it all, no matter era or location :ThumbsUp:

So, you got some cool 70s photos or info?

:ROTFLMAO:

Yep. I'll dig something up for ya.

Fountain Valley - Copy.jpg

Fountain Valley4.jpg

:Praise:

Just Awesome!

So, if someone were into BMX archaeology, where exactly was that track and are there any traces left...(I'm guessing not)

You have guessed properly. There are no traces of that track left. That track was off Brookhurst, just south of the 405 fwy, south/west of the corner of Brookhurst and Talbert.

I can say I had a hand in building that track as well. I actually have some home movies of us working on it but not uploaded anywhere that I can share.

Here is a picture of Greg Hill (#37) off the big jump there and a couple of me off the same jump.

Greg_Hill_13_os.jpg

img912 - Copy.jpg

scan0053 - resize.jpg

Someone mentioned the Irvine track earlier in this thread. I only have one picture (in my files at this time) from there. If it was in focus it would be an awsome action shot, but as it is, it's still one of my favotites.

The cool thing that you don't see in the photo is that this is me in the lead of the 16ex main event at the Cook Brothers Classic, Cook was my co-sponsor at the time.

Also, look to the far left spectator in the white Tee shirt (Karen Mundia) and the guy in the white Tee shirt directly behind my seat (Ralph Mundia). That is Karen and Ralph of Ralph's Bike Shop, my sponsors. :)

I pulled this slide off and won this race. How old school cool is that?

Cook Classic main - resize.jpg