Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Olympic BMX Leathers....

You might have seen the Olympic Leathers, they are "trending" pretty hard on Facebook right now.

What do you think?

A lot of people are panning them... they could be a lot worse I think. I actually like the simplicity on the jersey. I think it will look better in real life than in this mock illustration. Kind of like a beer label somehow... but it's also surprisingly old school.

Olympic.BMX.jpeg

I don't like the pants (leathers) but do like the jersey. A gold medal would really make the uniform pop.

I like yours better than ours!

Not fussed on the white part of the leathers.

I could have designed that with a Pantone marker taped to my dong. Terrible. Ugly. Completely uninspired design. Too bad the gold medal will be won by a guy wearing that atrocity. Oh yeah! Don't forget! Made in China. Really. :Special Salute:

Why the fuck are our uniforms made in China when they can make uniforms here?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Plenty of clothing manufacturers who actually still make their goods in USA, and they went with Nike and Ralph Lauren.

Why the fuck are our uniforms made in China when Nike and Levis can make uniforms here?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Because Nike and Levis are giant greedy fuckheads who can make a lot larger profit by sending jobs to third world countries with no labor laws. Don't buy their shit. There are plenty of American made alternatives that cost the same and are better quality.

Are they playing softball after the races or something ? It's okay I guess it's sorta americana looking .... But if they are made in china to boot - I say burn'em all - lets take all the gold in the buff (imagine what that would do for ratings)

Agreed on the China aspect. That's just fuckin wrong.

Even the number tickets at our unemployment office (govt run) are printed in China ??

Ironic?

The jersey is cool but the leathers are terrible. They look like Farrah Fawcett should have worn them in 1976.

That white on the bottom of the pants does make them look like jean shorts that are a little too long, lol. The shirt would be cool as a 3/4 sleeve t-shirt if it also said BMX on it.

Why the fuck are our uniforms made in China when Nike and Levis can make uniforms here?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Because Nike and Levis are giant greedy fuckheads who can make a lot larger profit by sending jobs to third world countries with no labor laws. Don't buy their shit. There are plenty of American made alternatives that cost the same and are better quality.

Sorry, my rant came off wrong, as off-the-cuff rants often do. What I meant was Nike and Levi's are already collaborating on a Made in the USA series of clothing and shoes for skating...

Levi's by Nike Skate

So why couldn't they do the same for BMX uniforms? Where the hell is Bill Walters when we need him most?!?

Made in China Uniforms Spark Outrage

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I like the overall design, not too flashy, a little retro. It's hard to make everyone happy these days. Were some of you hoping they would ask Lady Gaga for more input on the design? :ROTFLMAO:

What do some of the other big BMX countries like Canada, England, Australia, France, Netherlands, etc. designs look like? It might be interesting to have something to compare ours with. Does anyone have pics of the other uniforms?

No, this is an abomination compared to the BMX uniforms. WTF is this? Looks to me we were shipped Frances stuff and they received our overalls and cowboy hats.

olympics-uniforms.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

The BMX uniform from 2008's olympics:

08-22-2008b.jpeg

bmx4hc3.jpeg

Here's Lauren Reynolds from the Aussie team.

For some reason all out team have different pants? not sure why?

lauren Reynolds.jpg

australian-bmx-team.jpg

Why the fuck are our uniforms made in China when they can make uniforms here?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

the radio news station reported to this comment, something along the lines of since the olympic team isnt funded by the government, they will go the cheapest route needed to get this stuff made

they went on to say that quite a few politicians in washington made remarks that they should burn them and have them made in the USA

not sure how true that is, but it kinda makes sense

The BMX uniform from 2008's olympics:

Difficult to top those, Steve. I have a Jersey hanging in my closet.

I find it difficult to believe that it costs much less to do small runs of specialty uniforms in China. I'd be willing to bet that plenty of American manufacturers would be willing to give a deal on the cost of the uniforms knowing what kind of exposure the Olympics could bring to their company.

I'll be rooting for China in every event. They're beating us on most fronts already, might as well go with the winning team.

As for the design of the uniforms, I'd sum it up in one word: uninspired.

Scott, it is disgraceful. All of it. From the design to the country of origin to the USOC. What a bunch of clueless, out of touch morons. I love the 2008 design. It's similiar I guess but the new one is just so uninteresting. Did no one take a look at an actual current BMX team uniform to see what styles are being represented these days?

I actually kind of like the new uniforms better than the old. Less is more sometimes, plus we are looking at renderings not the exact suit. I bet the look much better in person.

I like the 2008 uniform a little more as the USA name is bigger and easier to make out. As far as the Australian uniform, I don't know, that cute girl, Lauren Reynolds, would probably make anything she's wearing look good. :Liv2ride:

I dig the new jersey and pants, definitely paying homage to BMX's 70's roots. Like a lot of us older bmx'rs and collectors, I find the modern era BMX jerseys with their busy computer generated logos and graphics kinda over the top. Yet when somebody designs a simple BMX uniform it's just not good enough...?

The jersey logo reminds me of something you would have seen at the track in the 70's. Kinda like Littlejohn's eagle logo, simple and cool. And the pants remind of something Bill Walters, Vera's, or Endo would have made BITD.

Looking forward to the Olympics next month...

I actually kind of like the new uniforms better than the old. Less is more sometimes, plus we are looking at renderings not the exact suit. I bet the look much better in person.

I hope you are right. I wanna see the helmets and the bikes. If they carry an OS theme through all of it, that would be rad and make sense. If the helmets are plain, this uni might look a little better. I bet they will be wild, though and not match. Is the team gonna have custom painted bikes?