Sign in to follow this  
greyboy

NORWALK Bikers 'CROSS UP' BMX magazine

Norwalk was a hot spot for BMX very early on, Jeff Bottema was affiliated with the Norwalk bikers as were several other future BMX pros...this pic is from late 74 and featured in the february 75 issue #3 of Norwalk bikers CROSS UP magazine....notice Jeff Bottema is page editor..he was 14 years old at that time :nah.I.mean: :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

photo-22.JPG

There's a lot to say for the more creative and/or driven that were at the cusp of the origins of BMX. So many were able to shape their lives from doing what many looked at (and unfortunately still do look at) as a silly kids activity.

Bob Haro started his own bicycle company at a very young age and then parlayed his earlier successes as a comic artist into a career as a world class graphic designer.

There were others that did the same with bike companies -- Scura, Hill, Hoffman, Wilkerson -- the list is very long.

Fiola with a successful Hollywood stunt man career.

I know there are tons of others that were able to accomplish a lot while still very young and were able to set themselves up to be successful at whatever they chose to do for the rest of their lives.

Socal was a world unto itself! BMXA gave the rest of us such a jewelled view of there. I think nmost of us wished we could hang with Cosmo and RL and Buff...

Must have been cool to be around back then...

This old 70s stuff really gives me wood. Love all of it. What does Jeff do for a living now Grey?

he was working for a company doing trade show booth set up, etc for the last 15 years or so...but i haven't been able to reach him in over 6 months, his phone was disconnected :Idunno:

Thats weird. Always wondered. Never asked.

That picture is so OG.

I bet the whole paper is!

Very cool stuff Andreas! I love seeing those old publications.

I hope Jeff is doing well also.

Very cool pics!!! I lived in Downey when I was a kid. I used to ride my PK to Harvey's Broiler, then go see the girls swim and dive at divers corner, and then ride all the way to Norwalk to Golf and Stuff. Good times.

The Norwalk Bikers were a collection of parents and racers that made a lot of things happen back in the mid 70's in the little world of BMX around here.

I remember the parents being very involved in every aspect of the races. It was kind of like a huge family deal.

In the picture above, the 2nd guy from the right (#1) is Tinker Juarez. The tall guy in the middle (#5) is Allen Underwood. Tall and lanky and pretty fast too.

Here is a sketch of the track. It kind of reminds me of something a kid would have made out of a pile of sand at the beach. :) It was literally a pile of dirt with a 'singletrack' carved into it. We had a lot of fun there.

img034 - Copy.jpg

img035 - Copy.jpg

cool stuff red.

whats the deal with allen underwood? rare to see someone out in front of Stu.

post some more out that zine grey. rockout.gif

Crazy what a hot spot Norwalk was in the early days.

I actually pass by Excelsior x Bloomfield from time to time... things sure have changed.