Sign in to follow this  
lboorse2

1985 GT Mach One - Redux

So much for simplification. I keep getting myself side-tracked. I couldn't pass this project up though. It actually helped me make some decisions about getting rid of or keeping some parts I couldn't decide on purging or not.

Anyway...

Some of you may remember this guy circa 2009. It was near stock when I bought it, though a little rough and missing a few pieces. I moved it closer to 84/earlier 85 spec, and replaced some of the dingy and (in my opinion) ugly white parts. I was proud of it and it quickly became my favorite rider.

IMG_2072sm.JPG

I don't know really what the root of it was, but the blue had started to wear thin on my senses. It wasn't provoking that lust to ride that it once was. And the remaining white parts... Well, they weren't working for me on this bike any more either.

Sadly, the GT tires have started to dry was well. Time to move them indoors and get something a little less delicate to put on the bike for regular use... and the spokes that I left somewhat rusty are... well... still pretty rusty and not looking so hot any more.

I pulled the wheels to rebuild and shelved the tires. I had decided it was high time to upgrade the 890's and plastic SR pedals too.

And then something wonderful happened...

That was my dream bike as a kid in sixth grade. My best friend's dad got him a white one with blue hubs straight from the showroom of the bike shop. Never forget how much I coveted that bike. I still have my well-worn BMX Plus August 1985 mag where they had a comparison "shootout" with six top manufacturers, including the GT Mach One. I "researched" the bikes and tried to convince my parents that I needed the Mach One. It didn't happen- lol. The bike you posted brings back a lot of memories for me. One of my favorite bikes of all time. Thanks for posting it.Great rig!

Sorry for the cliff hanger -- my work PC sometimes has connectivity issues (firewall) and it wouldn't load the last pic...

So anyway, something cool happened on the way to my re-do...

My homey Chromey put his chrome 85 frame set up for sale. I couldn't pass up on it. The price he listed it at was too good to be true and I already had a part he was looking for so the trade happened pretty quickly.

The fact that I secretly lusted after this bike since I first laid eyes on it didn't hurt either...

Here's how Matt had it built:

machone_85a.jpg

A few parts from the blue one will be moved over, but not all. Matt's version will be tough to live up to. I hope I do it justice.

I'm SO glad that Mach One went to you Lee.

I love that when I handed it over to you - you "geeked out" about the original Bike Shop sticker. Thats always one of my favorite aspects of a proper survivor frame set.

I KNOW you'll do this one justice.

(A funny thing I just remembered - is that you and I raced against each other at the Howell NJ track during the Old School series back in 2008. I was riding this bike.) :)

Matt, I definitely remember. You had those other interesting tires on it, though if memory serves, they were a bit newer than 85...

Yep. The GT AA-Pro tires. Really awesome tires - but definitely out of era. I still have them.

dope, Lee... should be good. GT...rockout.gif

You know, GT was so HUGE then, it's surprising we don't see more of this mid-80's era GT race bikes in collector hands.

I think that's definitely a side-effect of the collector mentality Steve, especially at the Society. Not that that's a bad thing. I think in general, as far as the web is concerned anyway, we seem to share more of the boutique type stuff due to the wow factor.

For me personally, whether it's obscure or mainstream, I mostly enjoy the stuff that I was around a lot as a kid. GT's were all around and I was a huge fan of the GT race and freestyle teams circa 83-86 or so. I naturally gravitate toward them (Hutch too for the same reasons - despite the modern drama surrounding the name).

In my mind, the 84/85 GT graphics - specifically the underlined/overlined model name between the GT emblems - are iconic. Team Series/Pro Series/Mach One/Performer/Pro Performer/World Tour -- those names and their graphic representation never get old to me. :)

For me personally, whether it's obscure or mainstream, I mostly enjoy the stuff that I was around a lot as a kid. GT's were all around and I was a huge fan of the GT race and freestyle teams circa 83-86 or so. I naturally gravitate toward them (Hutch too for the same reasons - despite the modern drama surrounding the name).

Yeah... the stuff I was around bitd is the most appealing to me too, and since GT was such an ubiquitous brand at the time, I'd expect to see more, because a lot of people ought to have a personal connection to the models from the GT line in this period. I've mentioned my similar surprise at the lack of Diamond Backs in collections. I get what you are saying about the wow factor... but it's surprising that people would not feel a stronger connection to a bike they, or the neighbor kid with whom they rode every day had. You know what I mean?

I was riding an 82 GT Pro as my race bike during this period, and I remember considering the "upgrade" to a newer model. Never did, because the fact was... my 82 was getting the job done fine. I pretty much stopped racing in 84 anyway though, so other factors were in play as well and my focus was shifting away from BMX. Specifically to these girls named Tracy and Diana... but that's a different tale for another time.

I'd like to think that they are in-fact in collections, but just not shared in the open as much... but then, I could be way off.

Wonder if we could fish some out.

well... that may be, but I've visited a number of collectors at home and seen the full collection, I've seen big shows where guys are literally renting u-hauls in order to transport all their bikes to the event... and I can't really think of seeing a mid-80's GT in the mix except for very rarely.

I think they are in fact simply not there. Not saying no one at all has them... just saying that relative to the popularity back in the day, they are m.i.a. for the most part.

Glad to see them in general, btw.

Bummer. I'm going to have to add a DB and Mongoose to my fleet then at some point... RL too.

So anyway, something cool happened on the way to my re-do...

My homey Chromey put his chrome 85 frame set up for sale. I couldn't pass up on it. The price he listed it at was too good to be true and I already had a part he was looking for so the trade happened pretty quickly.

The fact that I secretly lusted after this bike since I first laid eyes on it didn't hurt either...

Here's how Matt had it built:

machone_85a.jpg

A few parts from the blue one will be moved over, but not all. Matt's version will be tough to live up to. I hope I do it justice.

:Want: :Want: :Want: :Want:

nice gt lee!

i have an 82 and an 83 and, while they are not super rare or sought after, they are two of my favorite bikes. they bring me back to 1984 in a "real" sort of way.

I have to say, my Blue one was my favorite rider. It was so much more comfortable than any of my other bikes (including my childhood TA). I'm guessing that the low slung frame is actually slightly bit more roomy than the 18.5" top tube would lead you to believe.

Hopefully this next one will be just as comfortable.

The bare frame and fork as I got it from Matt. I've since pressed in the Epoch headset cups and bearing race which came off the blue one for this. I was going to re use the same bottom bracket cups, but after removing them and getting a closer look, they're looking pretty beat up. I have a nicer set of cups getting a minor cleaning. They'll be pressed in next.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Oof -- I have got to get moving on this.

I made a little progress with this finally. Last night was the first time in months I think we didn't have to take at least one of the kids to something or other...

I knew the minute I got this frame from Chromey that I wanted to use this red Pro Neck sprocket. I've wanted to build a chrome bike with some anno red accents for a long time.

I have a wheel set in the mail on the way (finally, one I don't have to build... well, sort of). I'm stuck on tires though. I've been working on trying to save the GT Shinko's I had on the blue one. I've had some minor success with a set of Comp III's by soaking them in linseed oil. This seems to soften them up nicely (as long as they're not too far gone). I'm hoping it won't have the side-effects of petroleum based lubricants in the long run (drying out even more in the long run). The tough part is that I don't know what to do with the side walls. The linseed oil discolors them a bit (they were discolored from age already, but the linseed oil kind of enhances that discoloration a bit - looks good on wood, but not so much on skinwalls).

I'm not sure if that's the answer for the tires yet. Got my eyes peeled for something interesting other than Tioga Comp III's.

GTProgress.JPG

NICE .

Looking great so far.

I'm loving the red accent theme.The Sr chainwheel looks great with that powerdisc.

This is gonna be hot whenever I get around to finishing it.

image.jpg

yep... get on it. B to the O to the T to the Y.  Make it happen :)

Coming soon to a BOTY near you...

photo.JPG