Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

IKONIX the new Bob Haro project

Most of you probably heard this was coming by now.

I think most of us felt a little trepidation.... you know how it goes with legends reissuing stuff, it just seems so hollow with a lot of the projects.

But I am relieved today. You know what I like about this?

Obviously it's a modern bike. No wholesale biting of the been-there-done-that past. No. We've yet to see the whole bike but from the spy pic we can see the bottom bracket and the tubing looks to have a unique shape.

This is something fresh. Looks like some nods to the past (twin top tubes it seems), which is cool, but generally he seems to have left the past in the past.

Nice going, Bob.

Not that you care what our opinion is, but that's what I think based on what we've seen so far anyway.

:cheers:

ikonix.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing Steve.

Looks like a really unique bike - even from the small cropped pic. The Hexigonal downtube, to interesting cable guides. I'm very glad to see it's bob's take on modern freestyle.

On the opposite side of the fence: I heard, Haro (the company) is supposedly doing the opposite - with a limited run of Original 82-83 Freestylers. We'll see how that plays out.

From the unique name and design/ graphics... etc...... Big props to Bob for continuing to be a thought leader - and not a follower. :)

I hope it doesn't have tuff wheels. Though given his logo (which is rad) I fear it might. In any case, I would still appreciate the overall uniqueness.

Not sure if it's just the light and reflections, however, the bottom of the seat post tube also looks more square than round.

Happen to know a freestyle cruiser that used a similar cable guide over four years ago although slightly different because it could also accept the Dragonfly style dual cable set up without the need to a london mod. If I had my time again I'd do a flat plate and removable guide like they do on the single tube frames.

New brand manager at Haro is a true old schooler so it will be interesting to see how their project plays out.

I definitely understand you Kerry.

I don't own a single modern bike in my household.I just don't see the need, myself. As far as the bike goes - I don't plan on buying one either. As much as I am a fan of Bob Haro, It would have zero meaning to me to own one. Or just about any modern bike for that matter. There's so much good (real) older stuff - that has ties to my history and times that it was very important to me - I'd rather surround myself with those.

But I guess my positivity (in this thread) is coming from the fact that this new venture (and all the hype surrounding it) resulted in a newer bike that is (potentially) relevant to today's consumers. Not just more retro and reissue tchotchke trinkets that steal the good looks from the originals.

More, just a simple sigh of relief - and nod to someone who's always been looking forward - no matter the genre.

-------------

btw, that image looks 100% like a conceptual/computer rendering - so i wouldn't analyze it too much for details.

Reserving judgment until I see the whole thing...

IF I was looking at a newschool ride I would look at one. Again , until I see the whole thing I'll reserve judgement.

James, the first thing I thought of was your bikes when I saw this.

I wonder if there are a couple different models, as that seems quite different than the rendering in the earlier image.

I wonder if there are a couple different models, as that seems quite different than the rendering in the earlier image.

SB I thought the same thing. Doesn't have the cable guides on the bottom of the T.T. and doesn't look twin top tubish. I'd like to see a top view. Kinda has that mid school vibe to it.

I was anticipating a freestyle bike but I guess it is supposed to be a race bike? Disc brake, clips, number plate etc. Is it even a "BMX" Bike or just a bicycle? Hybrid? I am so confused.

I guess you true those wheels with a mallet and a block of wood... :whistling:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

don't like it at all.

is that a flick trix? blink.gif what the hell is that?

actually,

i think that 30yr anniv. bike (or computer graphic) looks dope.

mmm wasn't expecting that !

Looks like one of those wooden kiddies bikes with no pedals?

It looks like the first bike is a freestyler and the last bike is a race bike of some kind.

As a "new-schooler" here is my reaction:

The first bike looks like it is pretty cool from what I can tell. I can deal with the double top tube and think I could be in to it. BTW another new-school company had a frame with a double top tube, Subrosa.

The second bike looks like some kind of race bike with that new-fangled tubing. I am talking like my grandma here and maybe it's my old school self can't deal with the way it looks. I don't like all these new carbon spaceship frames regardless of what kind of bike it is. 10-speed, moutainbike whatever. I prefer the straight steel tubes. I can't get into it. Maybe the kiddies would like it, but I dunno....

IKONIX - the name, does zero for me. It has no meaning or association that I am aware of. I like the other newschool names, most of them. And of course the oldschool names too.

Just my opinion. If I got one I would strip off the decals, they look gay.

On another note, those old haro bikes were never my thing back in the day. I never liked freestyle then... but now I find myself lusting after one of those green ones with white tuff wheels. I must be ill....

It's growing on me. I wasn't totally put off, as some seem to be, even on first impression. It is an unexpected look. The color... the steering nexus, the wheels, etc. The sprocket seems aesthetically like a complete throw back and sort of incongruous with the more hi-tech space age like vibe of the rest of it. But ok.

We know so little about the project, that we can only speculate about what we are seeing, to some degree.

However... what if this is all carbon fiber, super light space age next level, progression of the sport - vision of the future stuff?

It might be. :Idunno:

I love cro-mo and alloy as much as the next guy. But I don't think that all bmx bikes should necessarily stay within the box.

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the frame is made out of?

Anyway... I think Ikonix is interesting. I'm looking forward to reading about the "brand vision", that he has for this project.

I guess it's okay for a modern race bike - but I can't get past the way the wheels look.

I was intrigued by the twin top tube teaser. I'm feeling completely not intrigued by the crazy looking triple clamp monster.

I pretty sure the greenish yellow bike is a "concept" race bike Bob was invited to design and exhibit in the London Design Museum for display during the Olympics....