Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

No podium for US men or women BMXers... bummer

I fucking hate iPhone spell check!!!!

Today's tracks are all finesse. Stu and the rest that hat the power would never have one. I personanlly think it's fucked. Call it what you want but it's not balls and determation. Give me a down hill or a flat track with pipes doubles and step up's

I don't know, these tracks look like you better be pretty ballsy to me.

40 miles an hour over the first set is not for the faint of heart. Massive balls required IMHO. That track was rad in every way. I would still like to see a BMX Supercross Downhill Series. It would be cool to see these riders on an "all balls" track. I still respect the hell out of their technical abilities though. Great riders can make a hard track look easy. When the Olympic track bit, it bit hard!

It's pretty easy to be a keyboard BMXer. The reality is these tracks are very difficult and the payback for a mistake is severe. BMX has always been about finesse: riding along the edge of control. Too much control and you lose. Too little control and you eat it. Finessing the edge for the win.

I'm excited to see elite-level BMX athletes competing on tracks that actually challenge them. They make it look easy at 40 mph, too. Tracks that little kids can race safely don't even come close.

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I loved the track, watching some of them through the rhythm section was unreal. What are the gap on some of those doubles? 30 ft? It makes me want to get on my bike again that's for sure. I love watching 8 mad fuckers go hell for leather on any track.

Alot of great insights on this thread. Not sure what I can add.

It certainly was great viewing. BMX at this level is always fun to watch, no matter who wins.

I will comment this way, tho. At the last Olympics we had seasoned vets in the men's class, and had to recruit a retired BMXer/current mountain biker to fill out the women's class. And although they didn't win gold, they at least gave them all a run.

This years crop, although fast, seemed to let the moment get to them. Maybe it was the lack of mental toughness, or just their youth and relative inexperience. Connor tore it up in his qualifiers. I don't even know what happened to the rest of the guys.

It seemed like gate one was what everyone wanted, because that was where Connor was all event.

Post looked good, but Crain struggled right from the start for the women. She didn't look prepared at all.

Like any BMX race, it comes down to a great start. Sure some riders can make up ground, but I noticed our riders didn't get those extra pedals down the first straight in the main because of a slower start.

Racing in a pack at any speed takes some balls, and throw in the speeds and technical skill needed to navigate this type of track, and any sort of lapse, mental break, or mishap, and that's it.

I guess we can make all the excuses we want. Bottom line. Team USA in BMX did not execute. Only they know why. But from an observer's point of view it looks like they choked.

Kinda like that MacKayla girl on the vault in gymnastics. Head and shoulders the best in the world, and she missed it.

Not to be cliche, but I guess that's why they play the game. Anyone can win on any given day.

I just can't help but wonder if Team USA in BMX was a great team that just didn't make it happen this year, or if the best we had to offer wasn't really all that good compared to the rest of the field.

:Idunno:

For the record, Brooke tore a quadricep in her time trial crash. She raced with it and made the finals. I think she did great considering.

Here's a pretty good photo analysis of the race in the New York Times.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Very intriguing insight there, there was no long "windage" that I could read from it, ha, really dug the McEnroe quote, the mental aspect. The stuff about Stu and how you were on a mental power blast, racing and all, for which I was pertaining too, it's all in the head really. But mine is not so well, I think about all this weird crap, like riding again,etc but that is a another.....ranting mad, argh, have a good one! :Frustration:

training-the-mental-side-L-qqNnnz.jpeg

It's pretty easy to be a keyboard BMXer. The reality is these tracks are very difficult and the payback for a mistake is severe. BMX has always been about finesse: riding along the edge of control. Too much control and you lose. Too little control and you eat it. Finessing the edge for the win.

I'm excited to see elite-level BMX athletes competing on tracks that actually challenge them. They make it look easy at 40 mph, too. Tracks that little kids can race safely don't even come close.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I have a torn Acl in my left knee and my right has torn mcl and Acl and the doctors can wiggle mt knee about an 1" out of socket. I can't sleep at night even when I'm drunk frum the pain. So I hope to god you were not using me as a keyboard BMX'r

I still hate iPhone spell check!!!

I loved the track, watching some of them through the rhythm section was unreal. What are the gap on some of those doubles? 30 ft? It makes me want to get on my bike again that's for sure. I love watching 8 mad fuckers go hell for leather on any track.

It's a good thing a picture is worth a thousand words because I have already said too much in this thread. (some people actually say I talk too much :lol: )

I will start with a couple pictures from the olympic qualifier at Chule Vista for the 2008 China Olympics.

The one picture is of Stu at 6'1" laying on the face of the step-up jump out of the first turn. You can also see the elevation gain of the landing hill in the background.

The other is a side shot of that same jump to show the "gap". It has to be betweet 25 and 30 feet. I have some great shots of the whole pack hitting that at once.

IMG_7434 - resize.JPG

IMG_7333 - Copy (2).JPG

I know what you mean though Steve, we invented swimming and we did really poorly this olympics.

Now here are a couple different pictures of this years step-up jump. One is from the qualifiers at Chula Vista, photo taken by my wife Sauni (the Baroness). The other one I stole from the link posted by Richard Vogt, from the New York Times photo story.

Look close at the third place rider (enlarged to show situation). I don't think that is a good place to unclip. :Creepin:

IMG_6856.JPG

TSE_4363-small2.jpg

TSE_4363-small2 - Copy.jpg

I just remember looking at the tires on the bikes. Almost street tires. To me BMX is about dirt and knobbies. Sure, it's the "evolution" of the sport, but, I'd love to see guys have chances to pass in straights with pedaling and strength, not technique. Was there even any dirt on the track?

But, let's not forget insurance and lawyers. I don't think folks can open tracks like they did in the past due to costs.

But, until there are real development programs in the US and companies like Nike that can make huge $$ by sponsoring top riders, there just isn't a large enough talent pool BMX is getting vs. other sports.

you have to be happy that the stadiums were sold out.

i remember getting back into racing in the 90s and thinking the sport had changed too much but got back into the groove soon enough. i think the tracks iowa days are the same, went to the local track recently and there is grass between the doubles. mmmmm.

The reason the USA didn't get any medals is because all the best US BMX riders ride freestyle and they don't have a class for that in the Olympics.

Chad Kerley started BMX Race at 4 years old and could jump higher than most of us ever could when he was just FOUR YEARS OLD.

chad-kerley-at-4.jpg

Now he rides for Nike 6.0

Edited by abozny
Fixed the video

I have a torn Acl in my left knee and my right has torn mcl and Acl and the doctors can wiggle mt knee about an 1" out of socket. I can't sleep at night even when I'm drunk frum the pain. So I hope to god you were not using me as a keyboard BMX'r

LOL... I'm right there with you... my knees are so bad and my shoulders kill me paddling when the water is cold. 25 years of bicycle crashing (was that racing?) will do that to you, I guess. :P

No, I'm not referring to you or your post specifically, but people analyzing the new school tracks and new school riders in general sitting behind a keyboard on the Internet. It's easy for all of us to fall into that hypothetical analysis trap. The fact is that these tracks are designed to test the skills of the most elite BMXers in the world. They are not designed for a 5 year old to ride the same track safely. These tracks are fast, they are very difficult, and they have consequences that far exceed most of the old school tracks we raced on BITD. To even infer that these racers "don't have to pedal" or that "this isn't BMX" is ludicrous (I hate iPhone spell check, too, but I had to rely on it for that last word :flower: ).

I think I'm safe in saying that these same riders would dominate on just about any track you could build, anywhere in the world, out of just about any materials.

So, no, I'm not criticizing you in particular nor am I slighting your past BMX racing, but give these athletes the credit they are due. This is where we have to go to test these athletes against one another. I would bet dollars to donuts that not one of us here in this forum typing right now could race down that first straight at competitive speeds.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I know what you mean though Steve, we invented swimming and we did really poorly this olympics.

I understand this is humor... and maybe in your view it's all the joy of sport and the simple pleasure of seeing an athlete in peak form never mind the country of origin. I can appreciate that. We can all hold hands and just be glad BMX is in the Olympics. :wink: Sure... ultimately that's great and I get satisfaction out of that as well. I can appreciate the wonder of pure, highest level, athletic performance, and I think it's great the sport is simply an Olympic event.

Still, I'm sure you might have favorite teams in some sport, and you expect them to do better than other teams. Not to mention, there is a reason that the teams are divided by country... and they wear athletic apparel with a country's name on it, and provide medal counts by country. It's, after all, a competition between countries.

In an effort to shed a little light on why I might pose such a question (why doesn't the US team do better?)... as has already been mentioned, a great number of the riders from around the world settle in the US as home base during their racing careers.

Why? The answer to that is another reason I have greater expectations of the US riders. If people move to the US from other countries to become better racers, it doesn't seem that unreasonable to suggest that maybe we might expect a lot of someone who is a native of that "world's best racing environment".

Could I try? watching those athletes race was a sight to behold, regardless of where they called home,(sorry guys, dutch pride is showing again). Have no problem with the synopsis of this whole matter, its a good thing. I just want to get on a bike again, strap on my helmet, look down that hill and wait for that gate....watching them made me realize how far this sport has come, and the immensity of determination therein.

Maybe it's the jealous side of me, or my own short comings as a rider? I remember killing it at the temecula track then going to coal canyon and riding With Eric carter and Matt ortwein and feeling like a pig in mud. I guess I was better at the short fast tracks and it did I never progressed with the times? So my bad , FYI coal and Perris along with Kearny were the first to go longer and have more rythem sections

Honestly who would of been more competitive on today's tracks? Say Stu and the Patterson bros vs the Anderson bros or even Christophe L. I know Gary Ellis would not have a chance. Who from bitd would be competitive from bitd in ur opinion?

By "Today's tracks" are you talking Supercross tracks like the olympic track or normal local tracks? Stu did pretty good at a few nationals a few years back. Supercross is a whole different animal.

I'd put my money on Brian Foster, but if tracks had changed back then, a new crop of riders might have surged to the front based on their skill set.

I wouldn't sell the old school or mid school professionals short, though. I think most of them would have adapted just fine... on a 16" top tube bike. Has anyone ever heard of Weinert Mountain?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Honestly who would of been more competitive on today's tracks? Say Stu and the Patterson bros vs the Anderson bros or even Christophe L. I know Gary Ellis would not have a chance. Who from bitd would be competitive from bitd in ur opinion?

The first name that comes to mind apart from Brian Foster is Darrell Young. Also, Gary Ellis would have done just fine. He was alot more skilled than he got credit for.