Sign in to follow this  
old school rider

amf aveneger girder fork

does anybody know what kind of ring's go around the bolt of a amf avenger fork, i pick up a fork and the bolt but it's missing the rings that would hold the fork to the frame.

avenger fork.jpg

pretty basic square cut cup with a sealed bearing and with a bolt through it all.

Imagine a gen one bullseye hub on its side.

I have a very rusty one somewhere

pretty basic square cut cup with a sealed bearing and with a bolt through it all.

Imagine a gen one bullseye hub on its side.

I have a very rusty one somewhere

oh ok u have the cup if its for sale would be interested, it would make it easy for me to make or find something that would work if i had something to go by.

Does the fork and steer tube have a "carriage" type bolt running through it, as if to hold the whole thing together?

Example of a carriage bolt.

carriage-bolt.jpg

Does the fork and steer tube have a "carriage" type bolt running through it, as if to hold the whole thing together?

carriage-bolt.jpg

yes the bolt is a carriage bolt.

carriage-bolt.jpg

yes the bolt is a carriage bolt, the top of the fork has a square opening for the bolt

My buddy had a Yellow frame and black fork when I was a kid. I remember it reading Screamer on the top tube. Ring a bell with anyone??

Gotta love google. I found these shots of a few different versions. The yellow one is exactly what I remember my friend having.

screamerdecals.jpg

screamerbike1.jpg

77amfavenger.jpg

77amfavenger1.jpg

78catalog2a.jpg

78manual1.jpg

Yep! Was gonna say The Screamer was the made for Sears model. But you found it! An Avenger just like the blue and silver one was used in the original Bad news bears movie. smile.gif

Those are cool! I know a guy building one of those Screamers. He had the decals made and sells them on ebay. I think he is looking for a seat like they used on them. :)

Hi - New to these forums here. I am the one that had the SCREAMER stickers made and I am currently building a Screamer out of a AMF Avenger 350, I had a Screamer back in 1978 when I was around 14 years old. I will post some pictures of those bearings and some scans of the owner's manual pages. One thing I haven't fully checked out is that some of the later 1977-78 Murray Fire Cat chopper bikes have very similar bearings. The Fire Cat also use a long carriage type bolt (but a hex head) that is also 1/2" diameter and just a little shorter. Here is a picture from the day my Dad and I finished putting my Screamer together back in 1978.

78 sears screamer bmx 3a.jpg

that's a cool picture, love the picture's from the 70's kids where happy to get a bmx bike now its a playstation 3, i miss those days, that info and pictures would really help thanks.

Here is a close up picture of the two bearings, also a scan of pages 7 & 15 from the owner's manual showing how to mount the fork and the parts listing.

If anyone out there has a set of these handlebars let me know, I need them. Thanks.

fork bearings 1.jpg

manual pg 07.jpg

manual pg 15.jpg

Hi - New to these forums here. I am the one that had the SCREAMER stickers made and I am currently building a Screamer out of a AMF Avenger 350, I had a Screamer back in 1978 when I was around 14 years old. I will post some pictures of those bearings and some scans of the owner's manual pages. One thing I haven't fully checked out is that some of the later 1977-78 Murray Fire Cat chopper bikes have very similar bearings. The Fire Cat also use a long carriage type bolt (but a hex head) that is also 1/2" diameter and just a little shorter. Here is a picture from the day my Dad and I finished putting my Screamer together back in 1978.

Man... that is awesome. Love seeing pics like that.

Very cool info...thank guys.

I now know what I need for my set too. :)

AMF-bars.jpg

Has anyone ever considered have the handle bars and Fork made before?

well i found out the bearing are called flange bearing so just going to take a few measurements and take a ride to one of the local bearing shop's and see if they can order it.