Sign in to follow this  
BenderOG

Missing 7th squared Slingshot accounted for? As predicted in the Mayan calendar

So I was over on this other site Cough cough Bmxuseum and read this interesting post about how there was 7 original square tube Slingshots and 3 were accounted for and 3 were known to have been destroyed so there was one left out there. Well jumping jesus on a pogastick guess who has that bad boy?! Also years ago (95-97 somewhere in there) I bought a roundtubed Slingshot and it came with a strange fork that I have never been able to ID The guy swore up and down that it was a Slingshot Fork. I had talked to someone at Slingshot a few years after that and asked him about it and he said wicked rake and socket dropouts? And I said yeppers. He said they made very few of them. But again no other proof then that. Fork will be pictured next to original 5" headtube Bottemas I have laying around. I thank in advance whoever it is who is gonna fix my pics I'm a slow learner these days.

Bender

Edited by S.Brothers

Dude, the fork on the left is a RRS Hotlegs, which came partnered with my 1978 Champion squareback, as well as on RRS's own frame. I been looking for that fork for 25 years. Any chance you would sell it? I had a set when I was 16 on my first 78 Champion which got stolen, buy a guy who moved to Sacramento around 1983...If so, name your price.... :power.of.suggestion:

RRS has a wicked forward rake, socket drop outs, etc....

Here is my bike that was stolen, with that fork.....

champion01.jpg

I can't remember the reasoning but we had decided they were not RRS forks long ago, but your picture sure does contradict that fact. I'll haveto do more research. They have really nice welds with great penetration so someone knew what they were doing when they welded them will post close up pics and let the masses decide.

Bender

I can't remember the reasoning but we had decided they were not RRS forks long ago, but your picture sure does contradict that fact. I'll haveto do more research. They have really nice welds with great penetration so someone knew what they were doing when they welded them will post close up pics and let the masses decide.

Bender

Yeah there definitely RRS I just looked at a bunch of pics. I think some haters back in the day talked me out of the fact that they were RRS because they were jealous. I sorta feel dumb I'm really not that much of a noob with this stuff.

Bender

Hey buddy, no worries... Its all a collective learning process, which is what makes it all very cool. Look at it this way, isn't it cool that amongst all of our collective knowledge, we all at some point get to share it with each other, when needed, and I find every time I learn something new, I feel just a little bit smarter, and educated on our sport. And its great we have this website to get to know each other... Peace out.....

And I still rally, really want to buy them... lol....

bender,

killer forks but if they haven't been rechromed, i think they're trackmaster. i don't remember ever seeing any chrome RRS stuff. RRS wasn't around in 78 either. pretty sure Cycle24-7's was just saying that it had those forks on his 78 frame when he got it.

We had ruled out RRS way back in the day but its been 14 years or so so I couldn't exactly remember why. Well great I guess I need to go modify my Auction.

Those forks do look like RRS forks to me. Could you add some more pictures of them without the carpet? thanks

I have pix of two Slingshots I've owned. I bought both of them new in the box back in the late 80's. Ones Red and ones white. Both had frame, fork, and bars in the box. The forks looked nothing like those. I've also has a RRS 20 and 24. They're either RRS or Trackmaster as Truly stated. I'll try and dig those pix up tonight.

Dude, the fork on the left is a RRS Hotlegs, which came partnered with my 1978 Champion squareback, as well as on RRS's own frame. I been looking for that fork for 25 years. Any chance you would sell it? I had a set when I was 16 on my first 78 Champion which got stolen, buy a guy who moved to Sacramento around 1983...If so, name your price.... :power.of.suggestion:

There is one on ebay now!

I wonder who owns them? :doh:

Here is the link!

Edited by Spur
Ebay link removed as it is in progress- Jake

I grew up with a lot of the RRS team riders and indeed they did have a chrome frame and fork. But I don't think that the chrome frame sets were ever sold, they were only for the team riders. It's possible they may have sold some.

There is one on ebay now!

I wonder who owns them? :doh:

Here is the link!

Yeah, aparently BenderOG HAS had some bad dealings with other collectors, who swindled him out of some good stuff, on the premise that they really needed certain parts he had, then as soon as they got them, they reposted them on Evilbay at 3 times the price.

So, I asked him to sell me these forks, which I have been looking for ever since mine got stolen, like 25 years ago, and instead of him replying to my offer, he suspected me of doing the same thing, and now they are for sale on Ebay, so, I can see his point, if other people have lied to him, on strictly trying to make a profit.

What sucks, is I am not one of those people, and I was sincere, in really wanting them, to complete my #1 build, a recreation of my 78 Champion I used to race. So, like he said, I can just buy them on Ebay now, but, it is an auction, and if it gets any bids, it is gonna get pushed out of my price range, as I am not rich. So, in the end, I end up with blue balls...

So, thanks to other, greedy collectors, who have burned Bender, now I get to feel the pain, as they slip thru my fingers into some other collectors grasp...I hate evilbay and crap like this.. And I understand Benders position, so I dont have anything baD TO SAY ABOUT HIM... Just the situation.

Those are probably Champion forks. They came with Cycle24-7's generation of Champion frame. They had Champion stickers on the front of the fork legs stock. The three styles of fork like that are Trackmaster, RRS and Champion. The RRS forks have smaller diameter tubing than the Trackmaster or Champion fork. Chances are they were all manufactured by Trackmaster but that is speculation.

I agree with DAN, and SE666 SAID the exact same thing last night. Pat (SE666) found my current 78 Champion, and it had these RRS style forks on it, but PAT, kept the fork, to put on his white 78 Champion, to complete his (are you ready for this?) his homage to my race bike from BITD. I begged PAT to sell me the forks, he bought the frame and fork only so he could get those damn forks, knowing I would buy the 78 Champion, with a 80's style Champion fork he had lying around.

He had just picked up a white, OG finish 78 Champion and he wanted the RRS style fork, to recreate my old bike. So now, a total random act of fate, and these forks pop up... It is so frustrating, I have decided to say "Fuck it" I will watch them as someone buys them on ebay, and I doubt it will be me...

So, 2 times in my life, a 78 Squareback Champion. Has crossed my path, both times, it had these forks, so I buy into the theory that it is a Champion fork, when I first bought my 1st 78, back in 1979, it had the round Champion fork stickers on it, " see photo "... Enuf said...

champion02.jpg

Oh, one tidbit Pat said, that may add to this mystery, more then likely, these where made by VDC, For Champion, since in 78, Lynn Kastan was making just this frame. And not a fork. So, food for thought, this is a tangled web of intrigue for sure....

Hope I didn't start anything. Just thought it would help. In my opinion I just sell parts for what I feel I have to have and if the next guys re-sells them for more I don't care. If he gets double I will have a laugh with him that he done well. Everyone makes money on parts once in a while. You buy a $10 bike at a yard sell and stick it on ebay and it bring $100+ Its a never ending cycle!

Honestly, I would say I started something, since my whole point of view, is over what I want. And it does not mean I am entittled to them, which is why I never got mad at Bender, as he does not owe me, and he can sell them to whom he chooses, I just got caught up in the hunt, as I have been looking for this fork 25 years now..And I forgot my place, as just another guy looking for parts. I hope nobody feels bad over this. Its just a bicycle part.

I saw a few bikes built using the Sling Shot frame over on that other BMX site. Are any of those bikes a factory built bike or were they all frame build up? :power.of.suggestion:

Here's some shots of the two Sling Shots I had. I bought these NIB in the very early 90's and they both came with the frame, fork, bars, and frame pad shown. Thought they might help for reference.

Scan.jpeg

Scan 3.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Scan 2.jpeg

So, i dont know why, but i love slingshots.... they where ahead of their time....

I see your Slingshots have 4" headtubes I've only known of 1 other like that the forks look like MCS Magnum 37s from around that era.

I got a positive ID on the fork today. We were all wrong turns out to be a super rare Hutch Bottle opener !? who knew /shrug