Sign in to follow this  
markmc97225

Early Shimano DX hubs

I fell in love with the Shimano DX hubs back in 79. The quick change rear cog was super cool. And having guys like Stu Thomsen using them was certainly a shot in the arm for credibility. And the ease of changing 16/17T (or other) at the races quickly was a big deal.

I get why folks love the old Phils and Sunshines, with the sealed hubs, but, curious a bit why there aren't more builds with DX hubs? The sealed stuff was out of a lot of guys budget, and, not nearly as practical for racers.

This site is pretty proud on it representing and respecting BMX history, so, just curious a bit on why the DX hubs aren't more popular?

DXHubs.JPG

I liked these hubs and had them in '79 too. They were on my Redline MX-II. I had mine laced to 7Cs. Not too long ago, I got an NOS set in blue and the anodizing was real nice.

Looking at these hubs I think the freewheel with the quickchange sprocket was very nice. But the bearings seem to be somewhat cheap and the front hub looks kinda whimpy and cheap as well. Even though a high flange hub is not a lot different, the high flange gives an impression of more stability. BITD I used these hubs for the four-five years I rode.

As I recall the cartridge free wheel assembly was prone to failure. I knew a few guys that had them and they that would slip when engaging from free-spin to torque/engagement. Not sure if was wear or design problems.

I used Shimano hubs, but the ones with the spin on freewheel.

I had a cartridge on my first set of Tuff 2s and a slight chain alinement problem blew the cog off coming out of the gate. Hurt like hell. Being a smart ass, I flipped the the cog over to the unworn side and did it again.

My tuff came back from Skyway with a steel hub and a spin on.

I just didn't trust them (cartridge) very much after that. Dug the Shimano spin on hubs though.

I think those were Suntour cassette bodies on the Tuff Wheels. I had a few pair of those and they were all Suntour. Unless they made them in a later model Shimano before going threaded.

I had a set on my old Pro Am and recently scored a nice survivor set for my current replica build. I loved them, and never had any problems with them. I went through like three 16t cogs, so it wasn't like I didn't use them though most of the miles on them came from thrashing in the woods and going to my girlfriends and not on the track. I kind of lost interest in racing in a year or two after getting the Pro Am, my last race was early 1983.

Drew

:13:

I love the sound of a Shimano or Suntour cassette. They look cool and I also think they are under rated. They spin nice and they look great in the multiple colors they came in. I have a set of red Shimanos on the Rebel, a black set of Suntours on the red PK and they really feel quick and tight when crankin like hell!

i never ran sealed hubs BITD, shimano's were my shit! rockout.gif

i'm still rollin'. Liv2ride.gif

I had a set on my 79' Goose back in the day and the rear hub took a crap on me and I don't remember where the bike went after that. I need a blue set to build my childhood bike.

The Shimano freehubs in the top photo are not DX hubs, they are Shimano FH-MX60 freehubs. The DX hubs have a different cassette body and rear hub and are not interchangeable with the MX60 hubs, different sprocket and come with Dura Ace track nuts.

i used shimano hubs too in the early '80s.

they spinned good and raced with a 15T cog.

You are right about the Tuffs coming with a Suntour thumperpilot. Wasn't trying to create confusion with my post just commenting on cassettes in general. And why I was not hot for them in any form after bailing a couple times. And that was my fault really, knew my chain was a bit off but wanted to ride them anyway.

The Shimano freehubs in the top photo are not DX hubs, they are Shimano FH-MX60 freehubs. The DX hubs have a different cassette body and rear hub and are not interchangeable with the MX60 hubs, different sprocket and come with Dura Ace track nuts.

Actually, I think I knew that, but, most folks think that MX hubs are the mid 70's, HF hubs, and most folks call these DX hubs, even though they are not. The sticker I got with mine in 1979 did say MX, but, when I've called them that, folks don't get it.

So, maybe the proper term is MX60 hubs?